User Tag List

First 3456 Last

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Philosophy broadens our horizons only to tell us there is nothing meaningful to see.

But it's still argueably better than not seeing anything at all.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Permabanned

If you are looking for an absolute answer I think philosophy itself will tell you it will not..or cannot...provide an answer. Why I do philosophy is simple...I can't not do it for any extensive period of time. I can turn it off...but I can't kill it. It's what I do when I'm not doing anything and at the same time it's what I'm doing when I'm doing everything. I can't imagine not doing it. An existence without it seems incomprehensible to me.

Indeed, the question isn't so much "Why am I doing philosophy?" but "Why can't I not do philosophy?"

In short, I guess, my answer is..I do it because I choose to. The one alternative is something I don't want to face until I'm old and grey.

Of what use is philosophy? Ultimately, of what use is anything? Of what use is the bridge I cross every morning? Philosophy, like the bridge, gets me where I need to go. Does that make sense? Probably not...but it's one of the few things I have.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Do you employ what philosophy you know? How?
    If it isn't applicable, it is worthless to me.

I find many philosophies very useful in finding a sane perspective to look at the world. For example, I think phenomenology has really good points (even if I don't understand it as well as I would like to). It seems to me like many people think they look at the world from some sort of objective point of view, and there is just no way it could be the first layer of your perception. So, phenomenology comes in handy when trying to see this. In a similar way, existentialism gives me some tools in seeing myself as the deciding agent of my life. This is balanced by sociological ideas, though. Recently I found some interesting philosophical twists of quantum mechanics that balances against the too newtonian view that still seems to haunt the collective mind.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I don't actually study philosophy academically except what gems are passed onto me in discussions. But I do philosophise. I'm mostly interested in the practical, which to me always comes down to: "Why should we bother?", "What should we strive for?". I understand some people don't feel the need to ask themselves that question, but I'm guessing those people have never had the existential rug pulled out from under them. I needed something to grab onto when everything I was taught to value lost meaning.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Qlippoth View Post
    I'm guessing those people have never had the existential rug pulled out from under them. I needed something to grab onto when everything I was taught to value lost meaning.
    Yeah. And then you get to the point where it becomes clear that there is no need for the rug at all, and then an integration to the society becomes more difficult than ever before.

Ginkgo

Philosophy hones your abilities to distinguish truth from untruth, to make wise decisions, stressing clarity and intelligibility in thought and communication.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Philosophy is useless like poetry. We do philosophy for its own sake. We do philosophy because it tickles our brain. Hey, we do philosophy because it puts us in the zone.

Doing something for its own sake is of the highest value. We lose ourselves and employ our highest faculties. We enter the flow.

It is not work but it is leisure that is dignified. And what do we do with leisure? We turn to philosophy.

The Ancient Greeks knew that leisure was the highest good and it was the Ancient Greeks who laid the foundations of Western philosophy.

But there are still those who tell us, "Arbeit macht frei", (Work shall make us free) but it is a spectacular lie over the gates of hell.

The Calvinists tell us the devil makes work for idle hands, and those hands must be put to work by capitalists to save our souls.

But we know work is for slaves and philosophy for the free.
    Que?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    Yeah. And then you get to the point where it becomes clear that there is no need for the rug at all, and then an integration to the society becomes more difficult than ever before.
    Aw hell, we never had a shot at integrating anyway.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    I've seen many posters on here waffle about philosophical books and theories yet few actually employ them with wit and skill.

Is philosophy of use or is it merely an academic subject like religious education?
    Do you employ what philosophy you know? How?
    Thoughtful.

careful
    heedful
    regardful
    mindful
    kindly
    kind hearted
    neighbourly
    friendly
    attentive
    considerate
    circumspect
    wary
    watchful
    discreet
    prudent

studious
    serious
    sober
    quiet

It is a kind of irony. Free association does not aim to be a good sport.
    It is therefore it is a good sport.

What is the purpose of a creation? Why are we here?
    Gauguin named a painting:
    Where do we come from? Where are we going?

Curiosity is expectation.
    The Calvinists do not ask.
    I have worked in a Dutch farm, believe me, I know.
    Unexpectation is such a bad habit.

One day, at a breakfast table, I took another slice of cheese.
    They all looked at me in utter amazement.
    And yet they all knew.
    A thing like that was bound to happen. One day.

There is always the unexpected. Be wary.

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    Philosophy hones your abilities to distinguish truth from untruth, to make wise decisions, stressing clarity and intelligibility in thought and communication.
    Unless you read post-modern philosophy.