User Tag List

First 123 Last

RDF

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Victor's talking about archetypes and Jungian philosophy here, guys.
    So the issue of the use of metaphors is itself only a metaphor...

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by FineLine View Post
    He hides meaning behind metaphors.
    It's just a matter of perspective then, you see someone hiding, I see someone exploring.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

RDF

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    It's just a matter of perspective then, you see someone hiding, I see someone exploring.
    Oh well. As Victor wisely said: Chacun à son goût.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by FineLine View Post
    So the issue of the use of metaphors is itself only a metaphor...
    Yup. Hell, the letters on this screen are metaphors for a certain pattern of sound, which is a metaphor for a certain vibration of vocal cords, which is a metaphor for a certain movement of muscles, which is a metaphor for a certain pattern of electrical current, which is a metaphor for something we're not quite sure of.

In short, I will not tolerate these baseless allegories.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    ...I suspect my greatest sin is that I break the rules which you so assiduously follow.
    Actually, I think his point was exactly what he said. Don't read too much into it. If someone is reading you as immature or young, comments like this (where you assume yourself some sort of iconoclast "shaking up the system") contribute to that. No, people just want to actually get to the meat underneath the presentation, and you've been told this directly by a number of people over your time here but have chosen a different path for yourself.

I doubt you'd get the criticis you have from some, if you simply varied your presentation up a bit and they could catch a glimpse of the "man behind the curtain." Enigmas with no glimpse whatsoever of what lies beneath eventually lose their power to entice. If someone is just looking for an enigma and doesn't care to directly touch the man underneath, then I suppose they are benefited by your presentation.

I'm only mentioning it because you seem bothered that you are ignored by some. That's only the natural outcome for when people are at cross-purposes in communication, with no apparent resolution in sight. You do have your particular following, so you can at least enjoy that much, but it limits interest from others.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Ginkgo

The title of this thread was almost a simile.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    The title of this thread was almost a simile.
    Well, since the "like" is understood, I suppose it's more of a clandestine simile than an overt metaphor.
    (What's a meta for, anyway?)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Well, since the "like" is understood, I suppose it's more of a clandestine simile than an overt metaphor.
    (What's a meta for, anyway?)
    You just made one. You tell me.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    A metaphor is a bridge between the known and the unknown.

On this side all is familiar but the other side is shrouded in mist.

I regularly invite you to cross the bridge of metaphor with me but most of you baulk. And who can blame you, for all animals fear the unknown, and we are no different.

So to cross the bridge of metaphor we need to learn to create our own metaphors and learn to cross into the unknown, certainly with some fear, but with practice, with more confidence.

And indeed metaphors call to metaphors. And as one metaphor dies, another comes into being.

Some metaphors last forever and become portals to another world.

And the most exciting thing is that we are surrounded by portals.
    hmmm.. Nice food for thought. (Food for thought! Used a metaphor and didn't know it! )

You see, the food is like the words, and the thought is like the mouth or the stomach and... yay! I'm getting the hang of this!
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

The War Between Literalism and Metaphor

Of course it's war. It's war between literalism and metaphor.

Literalism was born in 1440 with the invention of the Gutenberg printing press. And the first book printed was the Gutenberg Bible, leading to universal literacy and literalism.

And the country most influenced by the literal interpretation of the Bible was the USA. And today Yankees remain soaked in literalism, and the meretricious are still trying to force it down my throat.

Fortunately in 1840 the electric telegraph was born and metaphor came into its own.

And so the war between literalism and metaphor plays itself out here. Fortunately the media we use here is quite like the electric telegraph, but available to each of us across the world.

Today literalism is stale and dead and only maintained by force majeure, while metaphor is alive and well and speaks to the deep down freshness of things.