User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    Are you a goat?
    Even this goat knows that hypnosis can be induced by any repetition. And the repetitiion of religious dogma is no different. So the purpose of the repetition of religious dogma is to hypnotise the faithful.

And why is this?

This is because under hypnosis our critical faculties are asleep and we will believe anything we are told.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Well, the nicest thing, the sweetest thing, is that Victor doesn't know himself, for he is reaching into the unknown with radioactive metaphors with a short half-life. Victor has had one success with a radioactive metaphor with a long half-life, and that is the metaphor of Jack Flak.

The metaphor of Jack Flak has not decayed and we can only presume, after many thousands of posts, that the metaphor of Jack Flak has a long and stable half-life, quite unlike many of the metaphors Victor has given us.

Each metaphor takes us into unknown territory, for a metaphor is a bridge between the known and the unknown.

And indeed Victor himself is a refugee from the analog world to the digital world. Victor is a digital migrant. Victor has crossed the metaphoric bridge from the analog to the digital.

Some are born digital; some have digital thrust upon them; and some achieve digital citizenship. And why not, Victor's very DNA is digital; the very computer he is writing on is digital; and the very words he is using are digital, comprising twenty-six digital letters of the alphabet.
    Let's not forget that the very parts of his body that I'm assuming that he's using to type the digital letters of the alphabet are digital themselves. Indeed, the very word "digital" is a metaphor.

It's good for Victor not to know where he's going. When you know where you're going, you can only get to where you've already been. What's important is that no matter where he goes, Victor is welcome.

The question is, though, does Victor create the metaphors, or is Victor the metaphor himself, with other metaphors not being so much creations as incarnations?

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I'm pretty sure the maxim that power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely was thought up by a conservative and they saw it as relating not to absolute monarchs but the absolutism they saw in demagogues or elections.
    Well by today's standards, Lord Acton would probably be considered a conservative. I think you're referring to Tocqueville's arguments about democracies degenerating into "tyrannies of the majority".

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTp

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    There is only one creator of our universe. Our existence is not an accident.
    Ehhh, this one is debatable. Logic points to an accidental existence. The whole "too complex to happen accidentally" argument is inherently flawed. Consider an infinite universe with an infinite number of possible planets that might conceivably hold life. Let's say, for argument's sake (because I have no idea what the actual chance is), that there is a 1 in 10^398 chance that something as complex as human life could occur as an accident and chain reaction. In an infinite universe, there is bound to be one planet that had exactly the right circumstances at exactly the right time to create life exactly the right way. It's actually extremely likely.

If only Jesus, or even one of his disciples, had once said they were opposed to institutional slavery, your position would be secure. But neither Jesus nor his disciples, even once, opposed institutional slavery.

And from that silence of Jesus and his disciples, all the other evils followed, like patriarchy, the abuse of children, the abuse of homosexuals and two thousand years of anti-semitism, climaxing in the holocaust.
    This is dumb.

First, I don't know how to respond to blaming the holocaust on a jew.

Second, Jesus was anything but silent. His behavior was entirely subversive to the established institutions of power at the same time he avoided establishing any political organization himself that would inevitably be corrupted. Obviously, I don't buy the idea that Jesus instituted Peter as the first pope.

The man hung out with whores for crying out loud.

In our current day white elites make broad proclamations about equality and freedom all the while treating people of color they have relationships with as inferior.

Justice Thomas may be the most outspoken about this writing: “On the surface, Yale Law School was everything I’d hoped it would be. The students were smart, the environment relaxed but intellectually exciting. Yet I still felt out of place. I was among the elite, and I knew that no amount of striving would make me one of them."

Oh... wait... Thomas is RC. They probably just didn't like him because he abused children during study breaks.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

A Signal Moral Failure

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    This is dumb.

First, I don't know how to respond to blaming the holocaust on a jew.

Second, Jesus was anything but silent. His behavior was entirely subversive to the established institutions of power at the same time he avoided establishing any political organization himself that would inevitably be corrupted. Obviously, I don't buy the idea that Jesus instituted Peter as the first pope.

The man hung out with whores for crying out loud.

In our current day white elites make broad proclamations about equality and freedom all the while treating people of color they have relationships with as inferior.

Justice Thomas may be the most outspoken about this writing: “On the surface, Yale Law School was everything I’d hoped it would be. The students were smart, the environment relaxed but intellectually exciting. Yet I still felt out of place. I was among the elite, and I knew that no amount of striving would make me one of them."

Oh... wait... Thomas is RC. They probably just didn't like him because he abused children during study breaks.
    I guess it is a shock to realise Jesus and his disciples took institutional slavery for granted, just like everyone else around them.

Today we know that institutional slavery was the world's greatest evil, but neither Jesus, his disciples or the people of the era knew this.

Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    Logic points to an accidental existence.
    Surely natural selection is not accidental.

Sniffles

Sure Victor and that's why institutional slavery was largely abolished during the Medieval period. :rolli:

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Sure Victor and that's why institutional slavery was largely abolished during the Medieval period. :rolli:
    We both know that institutional slavery was abolished for the first time in human history by the House of Commons in 1833.

Then the Royal Navy was ordered to sail into the Atlantic and sink any Yankee slave ships.

Sniffles

We both know that institutional slavery was abolished for the first time in human history by the House of Commons in 1833.
    Survey saids........XXX

Western Christianity saw matters differently. Its spread through western Europe was accompanied by calls for an end to chattel slavery. Saint Bathilde, the wife of the seventh-century Frankish king Clovis, was canonized, in part, for her efforts to free slaves and end the slave trade.

The result of hers and similar efforts was that, by the eleventh century, slavery had been effectively abolished in western Europe. The lone exceptions were areas under pagan or Muslim control. By the time Thomas Aquinas wrote the Summa Theologica in the thirteenth century, slavery was a thing of the distant past. That's why Aquinas paid little attention to the subject, devoting himself instead to the issue of serfdom, which he considered "repugnant."

http://acct.tamu.edu/smith/ethics/BP...nd_Slavery.htm
    Of course I've shown you this several times before in the past Victor. Is this the time it's going to finally sink in?

BTW, you also realise that religious revivalism was a key factor in the cause for abolishing slavery in the 19th century right? I mean one of the more famous person involved was John Newton, who wrote "Amazing Grace".