User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: What is logic?

Default What is logic?

As our own Wildcat has pointed out, the semantic components of a discussion are really important.

That was made abundantly evident in this thread ... or rather a sub-topic that was weaved throughout it.

It is evident to me that we cannot even agree on what the term "logic" means, nor what constitutes a "valid," "strong" or other type of "argument."

My background of logic comes from mathematics, so I tend to use terms and concepts borrowed from mathematical logic(perhaps with some customization--it has been a while since I got my Math degree).

But "logic" is also taught in philosophy and the liberal-arts, and sometimes also taught as part of "rhetoric" in some fine-arts programs.

The conotations are often different (though not incompatible). In fact, despite the subtle differences, many of its uses are very similar.

This leads to situations where people simply argue around each other even when people are in complete agreement.

As someone who like the exercise of comming to an understanding, I am quite OK with (even fond of) this. However, IMO, the confusion often causes disharmony where it need not exist.

So lets discuss "logic."

What is it?

How is it used (im)properly? (Please provide examples)

What is related to "logic" but is seperate from it?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    As our own Wildcat has pointed out, the semantic components of a discussion are really important.

That was made abundantly evident in this thread ... or rather a sub-topic that was woven throughout it.

It is evident to me that we cannot even agree on what the term "logic" means, nor what constitutes a "valid," "strong" or other type of "argument."

My background of logic comes from mathematics, so I tend to use terms and concepts borrowed from mathematical logic(perhaps with some customization--it has been a while since I got my Math degree).

But "logic" is also taught in philosophy and the liberal-arts, and sometimes also taught as part of "rhetoric" in some fine-arts programs.

The conotations are often different (though not incompatible). In fact, despite the subtle differences, many of its uses are very similar.

This leads to situations where people simply argue around each other even when people are in complete agreement.

As someone who like the exercise of comming to an understanding, I am quite OK with (even fond of) this. However, IMO, the confusion often causes disharmony where it need not exist.

So lets discuss "logic."

What is it?

How is it used (im)properly? (Please provide examples)

What is related to "logic" but is seperate from it?
    "Rationality" is closely related to logic but may also be separable from it. I think rational people can disagree, if that have different goals and preferences. I'm not sure there is the same room for preferences in logic. In fact, any discussion of logic seems to focus less on the reasons for something and more on some external system of rules in which reason can operate. For example, a particular language might have a complicated system of grammar that is "irrational" -- inefficient -- with respect to communication but nonetheless logical as a coherent system for conveying meanings.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Logic is linguistic mathematics, in my opinion.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    OMNi

Logic is a really, really broad topic. It covers everything from studies in the way man reasons, to the actual system of reasoning that man uses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    Logic is linguistic mathematics, in my opinion.
    Interesting perspective. Does this apply to thought, too, though?

I see logic as the process of filtering/sifting through information on the basis of perceived laws and facts to the exclusion of emotional bias. It is thought and action based on past experience...the individuals or chronicled.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    entj

I usually think of logic as philosophy and intuition as science.

Philosophy is all about the metaphysical. It's the thought applied to information gathered. Thus, there is manipulation of information. This is a judger's specialty.

ENTJ/INTP, ENFJ/INFP, ESTJ/ISTP, ESFJ/ISFP

Many of these types are committed to applying an ideal in life or establishing an ideal in reality.

Science is all about the physical "physics, chemistry, and ect." You have to do more memorization and recall myriads of information than you do manipulation of the information. This is a perceiver's specialty.

INTJ/ENTP, INFJ/ENFP, ISTJ/ESTP, ISFJ/ESFP

Many of these types are good at memorizing information and can notice the most complex of complex puzzles.

Then again, I'm not fully commited to this idea and putting this in a jungian view of logic.

EDIT: Isn't it interesting that philosophy is closely linked with feeling and thinking?

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    Interesting perspective. Does this apply to thought, too, though?.
    Yes.

Logic is the linguistic process of effectively processing and analyzing pertinent chunks of information, in a methodical and linear fashion, in an attempt to overcome the barriers of subjective perception in order to bridge the gap between people, and objectively communicate.

^ wow, I myself.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    Yes.

Logic is the linguistic process of effectively processing and analyzing pertinent chunks of information, in a methodical and linear fashion, in an attempt to overcome the barriers of subjective perception in order to bridge the gap between people, and objectively communicate.

^ wow, I myself.
    That works. But I would add that it's only goal isn't communication and bridging the gap between people. It is used in many forms, always with the end goal of finding the solution.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

Quote Originally Posted by Electric View Post
    I usually think of logic as philosophy and intuition as science.

Philosophy is all about the metaphysical. It's the thought applied to information gathered. Thus, there is manipulation of information. This is a judger's specialty.

ENTJ/INTP, ENFJ/INFP, ESTJ/ISTP, ESFJ/ISFP

Many of these types are committed to applying an ideal in life or establishing an ideal in reality.

Science is all about the physical "physics, chemistry, and ect." You have to do more memorization and recall myriads of information than you do manipulation of the information. This is a perceiver's specialty.

INTJ/ENTP, INFJ/ENFP, ISTJ/ESTP, ISFJ/ESFP

Many of these types are good at memorizing information and can notice the most complex of complex puzzles.

Then again, I'm not fully commited to this idea and putting this in a jungian view of logic.

EDIT: Isn't it interesting that philosophy is closely linked with feeling and thinking?
    I think it's the complete reverse. Logic deals with hard evidence. Logical laws, if you will, can develop logical proof. Intuition deals with hunches and thoughts. Logic is square, intuition is round. Science is square and tries to remove all involvement of subjectivity and the observer. It's about Objective facts. Philosophy can go from the logical developments of Descartes all the way to the mystic feelings of Lao-Tzu. Philosophy may deal with Logic, but it also heavily deals in intuition. Science on the other hand, deals exclusively with logic.

And I like what CC said too. Logic deals with deductive reasoning. We've all gone through the logical laws like "A implies B. A therefore B." Don't forget computers deal exclusively with logic. Binary? 1's and 0's. True or False.
    "We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed now in universities, looking uncomfortably to the world we inherit."
    Tom Hayden

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

That is one type of logic, Mikesen: deductive logic. There is also inductive logic which is to deductive logic as civil court evidence standards are to criminal court evidence standards.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii