User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: What is logic?

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    Therefore, good philosophers define their ideas before they begin discussing them so that everyone can follow their reasoning without getting lost in debates on semantics.
    Ok I get you and agree. You're saying that new concepts should be defined prior to further discussion, if I understand correctly.

Somehow I intuitively got the idea of a delaying tactic, that of wearing down the opponent by demanding definitions for everything. I'm in a bad mood today.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    Ok I get you and agree. You're saying that new concepts should be defined prior to further discussion, if I understand correctly.

Somehow I intuitively got the idea of a delaying tactic, that of wearing down the opponent by demanding definitions for everything. I'm in a bad mood today.
    I noticed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Logic is deductive reasoning.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram

What's an ESFP doing in this section? I couldn't even begin to explain what logic means to me. Mostly because it barely exists to me.. hmm. Very interesting topic, though...
    - From your fun-loving ESFP.
    Se/Fi/Te/Ni, 44% E / 88% S / 62% F / 67% P

http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/18/182571.png

Quote Originally Posted by defragmybrain View Post
    I couldn't even begin to explain what logic means to me. Mostly because it barely exists to me.. hmm. Very interesting topic, though...
    Logic begins with an injunction.

And that injunction is -

"Make a distinction".

And why should logic begin with an injunction?

And the answer is that we perceive by making distinctions.

So if we are to see, we must first make a distinction.

And of course the more distinctions, the more we see.

As you say, this is interesting, because as an artist you are learning to see. So in other words, you are learning to make new distinctions.

And this is interesting, for not only is art based on distinctions, but all of mathematics is based on distinctions.

So art and mathematics are one.

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

1)The most common academical definition is a study of arguments. Such a study is mostly concerned with deductive reasoning. E.G separating arguments that are valid from invalid. A valid argument is known as one where the conclusion is entailed by the premise, an invalid is one where a conclusion can be false whilst the premises are true.

2)Some academical definitions expand onto inductive. This has little to do with deductive validity or invalidity, it has more to do with how likely arguments are to be true. Under this very broad definition of logic, it is simply defined as a method that determines how likely an argument is to arrive at the truth. An argument that is deemed very likely to do so is called inductively strong and one that is not likely is regarded as inductively weak.

3)Conventional people tend to regard logic as simply any chain of reasoning. A logician's reasoning contains just as much 'logic' as that of a politician or a Jerry Springer attendant. In addition to this, they tend to regard whatever they think is good, true or in a way desirable as 'logical'. In short, they tend to see it as a mere rhetorical instrument to make a certain viewpoint worthy of reflection or acceptance.

4)In conclusion, it may be possible to arrive at a clear and a consistent academical definition of logic, especially if we embrace the definition of point 1 and discard the definition of point 2, yet when dealing with ordinary people, we are far less likely to. That is the case simply because they tend to regard anything that they think is agreeable to their own views as 'logic' or 'logical'.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    512 sp/so

Logic is a game that I play when it suits my purposes.

As I recently explained to a friend, it's completely separate (to me) from reason and being reasonable.

Logic is something that you apply in situations like logic puzzles, solving the Rubik's cube, mathematics etc.

Reason is the art of providing justification.

Being "reasonable" is considering whether something is justifiable or not, i.e. considering the reasons and using personal values to judge/negotiate.

As a concrete example: If you believe that Jews are the scourge of the world, Hitler's solution of gassing them would be the logical step to take. This was an obviously reasoned process, yet it was not justifiable.

So, it is possible to provide reasons for something, yet have it be obviously unreasonable.

That is part of the reason why I think the T/F scale on the MBTI is ridiculous. What is "using your head" or "using your heart"? They are both aspects of the same thing.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

bahleted!

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

this is one of those things where you say
    "if you have to ask..."
    right?
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Logic is a method (or an ensamble of methods) to correcly derive (deduce) propositions from other proposition, preserving the truth or falsehood property.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp