User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: What is logic?

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    That is one type of logic, Mikesen: deductive logic. There is also inductive logic which is to deductive logic as civil court evidence standards are to criminal court evidence standards.

Yeah, I don't really hold Inductive logic as very evidential. I use inductive logic on an hourly basis, but I don't think it holds up to scrutiny. Polling may be useful, but it's not capital T Truth.
    "We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed now in universities, looking uncomfortably to the world we inherit."
    Tom Hayden

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

It doesn't have to be "Capital T Truth" to be considered logic.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Default Computers and Logic

Computers run on logic but it is, "garbage in, garbage out".

Victor.

Default My mind map on the discussion about logic so far

Feel free to download, modify and upload your own take on it.
    What is logic?-logic-mm-jpeg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    OMNi

I like your web.

However, philosophical definitions, such as the definition of logic, are arbitrary. They need to be redefined at the beginning of every philosophical discussion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    I like your web.

However, philosophical definitions, such as the definition of logic, are arbitrary. They need to be redefined at the beginning of every philosophical discussion.
    Certainly. But at least this gives us an idea of the amount and kind of diversity in the definition of logic we can find.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    I like your web.

It's much easier to be educated on the discipline and to avoid unnecessary re-definitions and re-inventing the wheel.

It's useful to be precise about what one's talking about, tho.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ESFJ

Mostly, logic is the study of the concept of validity i.e. when does a conclusion follow from its premises, given different semantic and syntactical rules? That is why there is no such thing as "inductive logic", because an inductive argument is not a valid form of argument (besides, it is also completely uneccesary). Logic is the study of formal languages, or language-schemas.
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    It's much easier to be educated on the discipline and to avoid unnecessary re-definitions and re-inventing the wheel.

It's useful to be precise about what one's talking about, tho.
    I think you misunderstood what I was saying. In any philosophical discussion, people are bound to have different conceptions and perspectives of the words and concepts in question. Therefore, good philosophers define their ideas before they begin discussing them so that everyone can follow their reasoning without getting lost in debates on semantics. Logic is such a broad and complex field which has many different meanings and types, and it is therefore a good idea for it to be redefined at the beginning of every discussion. This isn't "re-inventing" the wheel, since nobody is actually changing the definition of logic, just specifying what aspect of logic they are discussing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Logic?

Well, I think logic is basically an attempt to describe just how it is that something (a system or an idea, for instance) can be exactly as it actually is, rather than describing what it is in relation to something else, or explaining what it means/could mean.

It falls short of this to some extent due to the limitations of the human mind, however.