User Tag List

12 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Default Convictions and the meaning of life?

Do you think that a life of conviction is the meaningful life?

I've been reading a good book which suggest that modernism and capitalism have created a culture without conviction in which most people have their price, some are less conscious about it than others but they all have their price none the less.

What's your opinion? Would you say that you have convictions? Would you be prepared to make sacrifices for them and if so what sort? Moderate or major?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Convictions sounds like being convicted of something, imprisoned rather than certainty to life and presence in life.

And then conviction sounds like convincing the self that the justification of convincing the psyche to comprehend the meaning of life is brought into awareness through opinion and interpretation of life and experiences through other peoples eyes and perceived like a convincing story rather than inner self reconnection. And that would entail strong convictions of belief and being sacrificial implies stubbornness, a lack of malleability, and then is being unmalleable adaptable towards changing convictions?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Even those of us who are prepared to make sacrifices for our convictions have a price. It is just higher than the price of those "without convictions". Also, plenty is sacrificed by those who lack convictions, or at least whose convictions look more like the seven deadly sins.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

A life of conviction is a hard one to follow. I think everyone, including myself, have certain degrees of thoughts that we would like people to believe. If I'm following what you mean by conviction, which I would imagine is trying to prove to someone that your way is right and their way is wrong, then my previous idea is correct. For example, I like to believe that tattoos aren't really that worth it, but personally expending energy to prove this point wouldn't be worth the time in some circumstances. On the other end, if it is something you hold close to your heart, then I say a life of conviction, if it makes you happier knowing you prove your point and convert, seems to be the popular one.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I think not having convictions keeps you open for the unknown and is the most progressive way to live and strive for the future, which can be a very rewarding lifestyle. Whilest a life of conviction is conservative and stale, and ultimately unrewarding.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    I think not having convictions keeps you open for the unknown and is the most progressive way to live and strive for the future, which can be a very rewarding lifestyle. Whilest a life of conviction is conservative and stale, and ultimately unrewarding.
    So perpetual change is good and life is pursuit of rewards?

MBTI
    STP

There are two kinds of convictions... those which man believes steer him or her towards the life they want, and those which incline man towards the heart of God. They are, of course, the same thing, as God made man despite not having any need for man, therefore man's deepest desire is known and satisfied only by God. So the difference is a matter of knowledge (or ignorance) of this fact.

True convictions, then, bears the divine mark of God's heart, and we know this because there is nothing like it that man has ever or would ever conceive. It is also, unabashedly, the meaning of life. Suspend your disbelief, because what you are reading is true...

The meaning (or purpose) of life is this: relationship. More importantly, relationship with God, followed by relationship with fellow man.

There are two prevailing natures in the universe, three if you count sitting on the fence between the two, and they are all classifiable within this scope of the meaning of life. That which unites in relationship and that which separates. You can call them good and evil but for our [human] intensive purposes it doesn't matter. And if you're sitting on the fence between the two, know this: collecting knowledge to make a decision is a futile effort, because it will never be about what you know, but who you know.

Do you know God? God wants you to know Him. Do you want to know what God is like? Meet Jesus. Jesus is God as a human, and allows us to see what God is like within the human paradigm. Jesus allowed Himself to be murdered so that "whomever" (meaning "any individual", i.e. you) can move from the side of the fence that is severed, separated relationship to the side that is united relationship with the God that made you and can give you the life that will truly satisfy you.

The deepest, soul-felt desires are only answered by relationship with God, and this relationship is only available from God reaching down to us through His life as Jesus Christ, not through our human convictions of trying to reach up to God (religion or going-nowhere morality). This is called the Good News because it means humanity has a way to have the life we deeply desire which is not founded on our fallible nature. It is based on the love of God and His design, the "meaning of life", which is you having a relationship with Him... this is done through belief in Jesus Christ, the mediator between God and humanity (being fully both of those things) so that God proves both perfectly fair and also perfectly loving.

Because Jesus Christ rose from the dead and is presently alive in this moment, those who entrust their souls to Him gain living hope that fears not even death, unlike hope anything on this earth which is fallible. Belief in the one and only living God is the way may not necessarily give you a state of being which our mere human minds believe to be the best (fame, wealth, power, etc) but will lead to a state of being which satisfies eternally the desires which these fallible things will only temporarily satisfy. You will live a life inconceivably satisfied compared to these fallible desires, and once you taste it you will gladly lose more of the temporary for the eternal fulfillment.

So to answer the question, every conceivable human conviction falls short of the purpose we intend them for because life is not about us.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTp

Wow, that is a ton of religion. It almost makes me angry, but not quite. I agree with Fluffywolf. Convictions are dangerous things and often hurt people due to their closed-minded nature. Someone who believes absolutely that a god will reward them if they do certain things, then they will do those things regardless of how it affects others.

As far as the meaning of life goes, I don't know the answer. I don't even know how I could possibly get closer to knowing the answer. I'm gonna learn things and experience things until maybe a meaning comes into view, and then i'm gonna do that. I'm pretty sure it's not hedonism.

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    Wow, that is a ton of religion. It almost makes me angry, but not quite. I agree with Fluffywolf. Convictions are dangerous things and often hurt people due to their closed-minded nature. Someone who believes absolutely that a god will reward them if they do certain things, then they will do those things regardless of how it affects others.

As far as the meaning of life goes, I don't know the answer. I don't even know how I could possibly get closer to knowing the answer. I'm gonna learn things and experience things until maybe a meaning comes into view, and then i'm gonna do that. I'm pretty sure it's not hedonism.
    Sir, do you not see the black and white nature of your convictions? I am not talking about religion or rebellion, but relationship. God is not partial, so someone cannot love God and hate his fellow man by his actions... loving God would include loving others, all of whom God loves. Religion and rebellion are largely the same thing... the rebellious run from God, and religious try to keep man apart from God using rules and regulations... both seek to establish life apart from God in their hearts, a severance of relationship! God loves both regardless of this because it is about who God is, not who's done what. God is the reward we are all looking for, my friend.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I always wanted to have more convictions in my life. I have gone into existential depression over constantly feeling that I don't know, and there is no way to know, anything at all. It would be nice to think that I know something. Sometimes when I get down to my feelings in their rawest form, it seems as if there was no point of anything at all. Nothing to reference for sure, except that we are these people with these languages living amongst these things and buildings and other creatures. It may mean something, it may not. One thing may mean something, another may not. I think a life with convictions would be happier. (I'm not saying I'm constantly in this depressed state of meaninglessness, I do pray and have some biases/ feelings about things, and I definitely think that it is necessary to have some beliefs in this life. I just have to try harder than others.)
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.