User Tag List

12311 Last

figsfiggyfigs

Default Prayer in school

I recently had a discussion with a friend regarding this hot potato, but what do you think of having a mandatory few minutes of prayer in school?
    Personally, I am a supporter of this, if you go to a religious school. I believe we get many of our good morals from religion. This means that if children of atheistic parents have no contact with religion in their formative years there's a very high risk of them growing up to become antisocial individuals with dangerous values,

MBTI
    INTP

I think that anyone who wants to pray should probably pray, and anyone who doesn't want to pray probably shouldn't pray. But how on earth could we ever reach a compromise if some people want to pray, and some people don't? How could we possibly provide an environment where individuals can do more than one thing AND maintain the etiquette that we hold in high esteem, to live and let live. How, I ask you?

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    I recently had a discussion with a friend regarding this hot potato, but what do you think of having a mandatory few minutes of prayer in school?
    Personally, I am a supporter of this. I believe we get many of our good morals from religion. This means that if children of atheistic parents have no contact with religion in their formative years there's a very high risk of them growing up to become antisocial individuals with dangerous values.
    You lost me at this word.

Do you live in the U.S.? If so, have you no respect for the First Amendment?

Look, I have no problem with people praying whenever they want, but if you're going to force me to pray in a religion I don't believe in, then I'm going to have to throw rotten eggs at you.

figsfiggyfigs

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    You lost me at this word.

Do you live in the U.S.? If so, have you no respect for the First Amendment?

Look, I have no problem with people praying whenever they want, but if you're going to force me to pray in a religion I don't believe in, then I'm going to have to throw rotten eggs at you.
    It doesn't matter what religion, as long as you pray.

your resident asshole

No.

That's not the point. What if a child belongs to a religion that doesn't pray? What if a child has been brought up by good parents who have taught them good morals but he/she is an athiest? What if a child values spirituality over religion? What if...?

Stay away from my school.

figsfiggyfigs

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    No.

That's not the point. What if a child belongs to a religion that doesn't pray? What if a child has been brought up by good parents who have taught them good morals but he/she is an athiest? What if a child values spirituality over religion? What if...?

Stay away from my school.
    I'd like to see a religion where prayer isn't possible. And I don't understand why you are so resistant to the idea. Studies have shown that prayer increases the likelyhood of recovering from major surgery, so students could dedicate the prayers to sick people in genuine need. Even the so-called "moral atheists" - if they exist - would give in and pray if it helped.

Banned

I'd like to see a religion where prayer isn't possible. And I don't understand why you are so resistant to the idea. Studies have shown that prayer increases the likelyhood of recovering from major surgery, so students could dedicate the prayers to sick people in genuine need. Even the so-called "moral atheists" - if they exist - would give in and pray if it helped.
    I hope that the one who conducted these studies was not a desert-dwelling hag with a rusty blade in her hand.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

If all else fails there is the flying spaghetti monster that gets ignored a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    St. Stephen took rocks and St. Sebastian took arrows. You only have to take some jerks on an internet forum. Nut up.

your resident asshole

Studies have shown that prayer increases the likelyhood of recovering from major surgery
    That's all fine and dandy, but I believe the power of mind is at play here. You might want to take into account confirmation bias, optimism, self-fulfilling prophecies, etc.

Why am I resistant to the idea? I like to wake up in the morning and smell a big cup of freedom. Try and take that away from me and I'll be crabby and irritable.

Really, I'm against forced anything, but religion is a biggie. You can never force anyone to believe in anything, so why are you trying for mandatory prayer upon people?

Like I said, pray if you want, but don't force people to do it with you.

Instead... why not propose some sort of self-esteem/team-building/whatever classes/activities or something along those lines? I have no idea what they would be like, but the goal is similar to the OP.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

And I don't understand why you are so resistant to the idea. Studies have shown that prayer increases the likelyhood of recovering from major surgery, so students could dedicate the prayers to sick people in genuine need. Even the so-called "moral atheists" - if they exist - would give in and pray if it helped.
    First, I think studies on the efficacy of prayer have had more mixed results than the picture you are painting. Study results have been far from consistent.

Secondly, you sound dubious about moral atheists. Again, the picture here is more complex than you seem to think. In the US, for example, the most religious areas have some of the highest crime rates, illiteracy rates, rates of teen pregnancy, etc. Some of the least religious states in Europe have some of the lowest crime rates. If the effects of religion were strong, we would expect the opposite. What we actually find is is that levels of poverty and income disparity have a higher correlation than religiosity itself. Likewise, any real study on morality and religious teaching would have to properly separate organized teaching of ethical and moral codes from religious teaching, levels of income disparity, etc. There's clearly value in teaching a consistent ethical framework, and in some societies such teaching is often paired with religious instruction.

Finally, students are free to pray silently as they wish. To quote Matthew "But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you." There's plenty of time during the week for religious instruction and prayer outside of school hours without making a public, federally funded spectacle of it. (Note privately funded religious institutions remain free to do as they wish.) Even many who are religious wouldn't necessarily feel great about a weekly schedule calling for "Islamic Prayer Day," "Christian Prayer Day," "Buddhist Prayer Day," "Hindu Prayer Day" and "Atheists' Call For Ethical Behavior Given the Non-existence of God Day." How would you feel about such a schedule (though admittedly, it leaves out the agnostics, Confucianists, etc)?