User Tag List

First 2345614 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 166

  1. #31
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    17,581

    Default

    Schools should teach comparitive religion, including what we do know about the origins of major world religions, as well as the central tenets of each. Some objective insight into these origins, along with consideration of non-Christian religions in the same terms as Christianity, might cause students (1) to recognize common themes among world religions; (2) to have more respect and understanding of religions other than their own; and (3) to analyze religious claims more critically in general. Of course, it is for exactly these reasons that I suspect we do not have such classes in schools.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

  2. #32
    Senior Member esidebill's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Posts
    341

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Schools should teach comparitive religion, including what we do know about the origins of major world religions, as well as the central tenets of each. Some objective insight into these origins, along with consideration of non-Christian religions in the same terms as Christianity, might cause students (1) to recognize common themes among world religions; (2) to have more respect and understanding of religions other than their own; and (3) to analyze religious claims more critically in general. Of course, it is for exactly these reasons that I suspect we do not have such classes in schools.
    See I would agree with that, but the problem is the nation we live in is not very good with forcing radical ideas into the school system. ESPECIALLY about other religions. I have been taught maybe the basics of Buddhism and the "lighter" religions in some History courses, but no modern forces. I really can't even fathom the amount of whambulances we'd need to support that kind of change in the curriculum. And plus, critical analyzing is a joke in todays education systems. People can't even write a good topic, let alone read and analyze one.

  3. #33
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by esidebill View Post
    Even the religion in History should be no more than the whereabouts of it's origin.
    But then there'd be no way for History class to explain the Dark Ages!

  4. #34
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    17,581

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by esidebill View Post
    See I would agree with that, but the problem is the nation we live in is not very good with forcing radical ideas into the school system. ESPECIALLY about other religions. I have been taught maybe the basics of Buddhism and the "lighter" religions in some History courses, but no modern forces. I really can't even fathom the amount of whambulances we'd need to support that kind of change in the curriculum. And plus, critical analyzing is a joke in todays education systems. People can't even write a good topic, let alone read and analyze one.
    You are, unfortunately, correct. I leave the religious angle alone, but have done some work on the critical analysis side. A drop in the bucket, but better than nothing.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

  5. #35
    Superwoman Red Herring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,647

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    I recently had a discussion with a friend regarding this hot potato, but what do you think of having a mandatory few minutes of prayer in school?
    Personally, I am a supporter of this, if you go to a religious school.
    If it is a religious private school, sure, knock yourself out.

    Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    I believe we get many of our good morals from religion. This means that if children of atheistic parents have no contact with religion in their formative years there's a very high risk of them growing up to become antisocial individuals with dangerous values,
    Yeah, not buying...

    Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    Even the so-called "moral atheists" - if they exist - would give in and pray if it helped.
    See below.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainbows View Post
    If all else fails there is the flying spaghetti monster that gets ignored a lot.
    Pasta be upon him. Ramen.

    Quote Originally Posted by tinker683 View Post
    I think YWIR is trolling you guys....
    Agreed. I have too much respect for her to think otherwise.

    Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    I hope YWIR is just trolling. But his comment about moral atheists maybe not existing really grinds my gears. Mandatory prayer in schools is ridiculous, frankly. It's similar to mandatory pledge-taking. I don't do either because I don't believe in a god or have any will to pledge my allegiance to the region I happened to be born in. That's just nationalism, one of the MAIN (Militarism, Alliances, Imperialism, Nationalism) causes of WWI. Anyways, mandatory prayer in schools infringes on my freedom of religion and I'd protest the shit out of it.
    YWIR is the second NT woman you have mistaken for a male in less than 48 hours Other than that, I agree.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Move over Mark Twain, she's coming through! Rock and roll.
    He might have been a bitter man towards his end after the death of his wife and two daughters, but he definitely was a very moral person. And technically not an atheist but a deist. Just saying.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

  6. #36
    Senior Member Sanctus Iacobus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    MBTI
    STP
    Posts
    286

    Default

    Mandatory prayer sounds like a bad idea. It has been my personal experience that effective prayer is authentic and comes from a heartfelt realization of our need for God. It's sad to see something so personal be turned into an empty religious formality.

  7. #37
    Senior Member Xyk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5
    Socionics
    INTp
    Posts
    284

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    YWIR is the second NT woman you have mistaken for a male in less than 48 hours Other than that, I agree.
    Aw, shoot. When I don't know, I always assume male because that's what the english language does. His/him are the gender neutral pronouns in addition to the masculine ones.

  8. #38
    No Cigar Litvyak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,787

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    Personally, I am a supporter of this, if you go to a religious school. I believe we get many of our good morals from religion. This means that if children of atheistic parents have no contact with religion in their formative years there's a very high risk of them growing up to become antisocial individuals with dangerous values,
    I believe we get most of our unhealthy beliefs, repressions, anxiety and delusions from religion. This means that if children of believers have contact with christianity in their formative years there's a very high risk of them growing up to become sad and passive-agressive conformists with nothing new to add to society.

    And I'm only half-trolling.

  9. #39
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    14,031

    Default

    I believe we get most of our unhealthy beliefs, repressions, anxiety and delusions from religion isms.
    Just a small change.

  10. #40
    Senior Member ceecee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    9,741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    I recently had a discussion with a friend regarding this hot potato, but what do you think of having a mandatory few minutes of prayer in school?
    I got to the bolded and said No. Hell no.

    Personally, I am a supporter of this, if you go to a religious school.
    Wouldn't religious education be part of the curriculum at a religious school? Generally you would want that since you're paying for it.

    I believe we get many of our good morals from religion.
    Of course! You can't possibly form values and morals without a WWJD bracelet on.


    Yeah I'm pretty sure you're jerking our collective chain but I just wanted to get that out too.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

Similar Threads

  1. what core subjecs would you have in school?
    By Zergling in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-23-2016, 09:43 PM
  2. [ISFP] What were/are you like in school?
    By Quinlan in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: 03-03-2009, 12:38 PM
  3. This can't go on! Sibling having problems in school
    By nightning in forum Academics and Careers
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 11-19-2008, 09:21 PM
  4. [NT] How well did/do you do in school?
    By The Ü™ in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 125
    Last Post: 08-20-2008, 01:40 AM
  5. Giftedness in school
    By Splittet in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 08-13-2008, 05:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO