User Tag List

First 123412 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    I'd like to see a religion where prayer isn't possible. And I don't understand why you are so resistant to the idea. Studies have shown that prayer increases the likelyhood of recovering from major surgery, so students could dedicate the prayers to sick people in genuine need. Even the so-called "moral atheists" - if they exist - would give in and pray if it helped.
    If we want to begin with studies, religion should be banished from schools because most studies showed that religious people are more prone to commit a criminal action, including murder and rape, averagely are more egoistic in their approach to other people, averagely are less intelligent and you can carry that list on and on, but that's not the point. The point is, we live in a free world - or, we SHOULD live in a free world - and mandatory praying is extremely bothersome if you don't want to. I were raised catholic and were on a catholic school with mandatory praying although I were not religious anymore since I were 10 when I read the bible. I simply felt supressed by it, and it accomplished nothing but making me angry. Also, if I compare the people that were raised atheistic with the ones that were raised catholic(like myself) on basis of their morality, the atheists win by far. In fact, most of them are incredibly selfless. A problem I often observed in religious education is that they put more weight into religiousity than morality, or in other words, they rather reward someone who acts like a douchebag, but says he would be religious than a nice guy who says he wouldn't be religious. I'm definitely not saying that this is the case with EVERY religious education, but it's a mantrap they easily can fall into.

Imho, there should be less of a discussion about how you clad it, but we should spend more time teaching actual, practical morality ITSELF, completely autonomous from whether you're catholic, evangelic, baptistic, jewish, atheistic or whatever. Voluntary praying is definitely doing good things to some people, but mandatory praying is just a waste of time.
    Last edited by Mephistopheles; 05-03-2011 at 06:12 PM.
    They say I only think in form of crunching numbers.....
    -Fall Out Boy

MBTI
    ENTP

Studies have shown that prayer increases the likelyhood of recovering from major surgery.

Blessing Before Major Surgery

Major surgery always has the risk of complications and, in some cases, death. The following prayer is designed for patients undergoing risky or complicated surgery that puts their lives at risk, that God might bless them and keep them no matter what happens on the operating table:

“God the Father, have mercy on [insert patient’s name]. God the Son, have mercy on [insert patient’s name]. God the Holy Spirit, grant [insert patient’s name] peace. Bless [insert patient’s name], Your beloved child, as he/she enters surgery, so that, no matter what happens, he/she is secure in Your love. Comfort all who wait for news of [insert patient’s name]’s surgery, and remind them they are not alone in You. Amen.”

This prayer is designed as a blessing for the patient so that he/she is reminded of God’s love for him/her. The language indicates that, if the patient does die during the surgery, he/she is secure in God’s love forever.

The family sharing this prayer may also choose to prepare themselves in case the patient does not make it by sharing stories, saying what is on their hearts, and offering additional prayers and rituals, such as anointing or last rites, depending upon the family’s particular Christian practices.

Prayer to Cope With Complications of Surgery

Sometimes, a surgery does not go as planned. The patient may need additional surgery, or the surgery may reveal other health problems. The following prayer offers comfort and support to a Christian and his/her family in the face of difficult post-surgery news:

“God, be with [insert patient’s name] and those who love him/her as [insert patient’s name] struggles with [insert complications of surgery]. Hold [insert patient’s name] tightly in Your healing embrace, and let him/her know that he/she is never alone in You. Comfort all who mourn this news, and let them, too, know that You weep with them and hope for the best. Amen.”

A family or friends might share this prayer after news of complications during surgery in the hospital waiting room or other gathering place. Participants might offer specific prayers of healing for the patient and hold hands, if desired, to increase support and connection during this difficult time.

Thanksgiving for a Successful Surgery

Most surgeries end successfully, to the relief of everyone involved. The following thanksgiving offers the patient and his/her family a means to rejoice in a successful surgery:

“Loving God, thank you for bringing [insert patient’s name] safely through surgery. We rejoice in the technology, skill, and compassion that have healed [insert patient’s name] this day. Be with him/her and all who love him/her on the road of recovery, and remind us all that we are Your beloved children, with whom You are well pleased. Amen.”

A family may desire to share this prayer after the patient has woken up from surgery or in the waiting room after they hear the news of a procedure’s success.

Having surgery can be a difficult time for both patient and family. With prayer, however, the Christian can invite God to be a part of the surgery and trust that he/she is never alone, no matter what happens.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

I do not support prayer/religion being taught in schools that are not religious.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram

I attended a private school my first year of formal schooling that was tied to the Roman Catholic church. There was an hour each day where we went to church and on top of that another hour was devoted to religious studies. As an energetic seven year old, I used prayer time to daydream and as the year went on I began to become infinitely bored. I switched to public school the next year (private school is expensive for a family of six kids) and continued my religious "education" through PSR (Parish School of Religion). I grew up HATING organized religion because it was forced upon me. The hours that should have been devoted to prayer were instead spent idly wondering trivial matters. So...should prayer be MANDATORY in schools, even in religious private ones?

No, no, no. Whether or not it's just my experience or not....the kids that were in my graduating class in private school (due to the creeping of FB), a significant alarming amount of people have children out of wedlock or have been jailed at some point. Now I know that it isn't necessarily correlated with a religious upbringing - but weird how that is isn't it, especially when compared to a public school? I also am resistant to the idea of someone forcing something upon me, so out of principle I say nope, notta, no way.

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by Vie View Post
    but weird how that is isn't it, especially when compared to a public school?
    I'd just like to point out that I know several people who go to several different private schools. According to them, they have just as many sluts, druggies, brats, etc. as the public schools. Of course, I don't exactly have an accurate way to compare this sort of thing, but I'm inclined to take their words for it.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

They have Christian clubs after school, and teacher-sponsored club events.. but As far as IN school? I don't think it is really necessary. I think school is there to learn academics.. People can pray before, after, at church, etc.

But.. I think religion does a lot of good things for a community of people. When I was in school, sometime during the day we had "home room time" where the teacher wasn't allowed to teach and preach, the students had time to work on assignments and study amongst each other. Most of it was spent goofing off and talking.. but I could see a 'club' setting allowing students to leave during that time to have a small prayer session if they so chose.

They also did moments of silence everyday after 9/11. I think those should have been pretty standard in the mornings.. kids could pray during those times if they so chose. Or just stood there silently and contemplated how nothing happens when you die. either way.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Twerking & Lurking ayoitsStepho's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sx

I think for those who really care about praying in school, they're probably already praying. Prayer doesn't have to be the whole 'getting on your knees, putting your hands together, and bowing your head' deal, it can be just talking to whom ever you believe in in a quiet whisper through out the day or even in your head.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    ayoitsStepho is becoming someone else. Actually her true self, a rite of passage.

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

I think YWIR is trolling you guys....
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

>.> If her vent comment has anything to say about it.

It is a good discussion topic though.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    I recently had a discussion with a friend regarding this hot potato, but what do you think of having a mandatory few minutes of prayer in school?
    Personally, I am a supporter of this, if you go to a religious school. I believe we get many of our good morals from religion. This means that if children of atheistic parents have no contact with religion in their formative years there's a very high risk of them growing up to become antisocial individuals with dangerous values,
    Move over Mark Twain, she's coming through! Rock and roll.