User Tag List

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: Prayer in school

Quote Originally Posted by AngryWhoremoans View Post
    Why did you air-quote 'person'?
    Why do you air-quote 'person'?
    "Others should not judge what you truly are, instead you should find yourself. You may find yourself in a bowl of cereal or dreaming of the unknown, but make sure it is you who finds you." - Myself

Extroverted (E) 56.76% Introverted (I) 43.24%
    Intuitive (N) 64.29% Sensing (S) 35.71%
    Thinking (T) 62.5% Feeling (F) 37.5%
    Perceiving (P) 75% Judging (J) 25%

9w8 SP/SX

Quote Originally Posted by Perch420 View Post
    Says the "person" who thinks marijuana causes brain damage.
    Thinks nothing, I've got your posts to evidence that.

Quote Originally Posted by esidebill View Post
    Why do you air-quote 'person'?
    Because she referenced the word, not the person.

I consider personhood a privilege, not a right.
    “Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions.” - G. K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Perch420 View Post
    I consider personhood a privilege, not a right.

& Badger, Ratty and Toad Array Mole's Avatar

Default Violence, Anti-Semitism and Liberal Democracy

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    You put the first quote under my post and wrote the second one when Marmie explained to you that what she and I consider a left or liberal position has nothing to do with being an enemy of the West and a lot with actually practicing the (western!) value of tolerence and respect for cultural diversity, at least whithin reasonable limits.

What then were you trying to say? It was either a complete non sequitur (but then why quote by clicking the reply button?) or it was a direct reply and therefor an insinuation (rather than an open statement) that this is what you assume I think. And that, I'm sorry, is blatently false.

There are more than three civilizations and there are more than two positions on this supposed war of civilizations you are so often referring to. There are very few marxists left in the world. I am most definitely not one of them. I have one or two marxist friends who can vouch for that

Basically, my position here is very close to Marmie's, so there is no need to repeat it

Instead I want to add one more thing about your claim about the radical left. While the radical left (that I do not consider myself a part of) in, say, France or Spain tends to side with the Palastinians against Israel (partially because the underpriviledged in the French and Spanish society are often of Arabic origin and they see it as a form of post colonialist struggle of rich vs poor) and therefor feels a certain solidarity with what they see as a cultural circle suffering from poverty and both inside and outside repression, much of that rooting in or fostered by the West and its history and pilicies, the radical left in Germany is more or less evenly split between those who share their Mediterranean friend's position that this is David vs Goliath and those who say that if you are on the left, you are anti-fascist and if you are anti-fascist you support Israel and if you support Israel, Islam is your enemy. So there is a considerable fraction in the German radical left that is very strongly and violently anti-Islam.

Just for your information.

I myself, both with the war of civilizations and with Palastine, refuse to clearly take sides because I see too many factors and too many shades of grey but strongly resent anybody trying to push me one way or the other or, worst of all, putting me into a box that doesn't fit.

Which is what you seem to have done.
    I support liberal democracy because it is based on the limitation of power.

And I support Islamic liberal democracy, if I could find it. But so far I have not been able to find any Islamic liberal democracy.

Of course there are some individual muslims who support liberal democracy, but so far, not Islam itself.

And I also support the liberal democratic Left.

But I don't support Islam because it is based on the maximisation of power. And I don't support the marxist Left because it is also based on the maximisation of power.

Violence and anti-semitism are anathema to liberal democracy, and it is violence and anti-semitism I see in Islam and the marxist Left.

Alchemist of life Array Coriolis's Avatar
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by esidebill View Post
    Studies show people are often prone to answering with that.
    Familiarity with the phenomenon does not seem sufficient to render one immune from it.
    Hope is the denial of reality. It is the carrot dangled before the draft horse to keep him plodding along in a vain attempt to reach it. We should remove the carrot and walk forward with our eyes open. -- Raistlin Majere

Senior Member Array copperfish17's Avatar
    5w4 sp/so

I say let the religious schools do their thing... none of my kids (if I choose to have any in the first place) are going anywhere near those schools though.

That morals cannot exist without religion or that religious people are more likely to be moral than your average atheist/agnostic is sham. Personally, I think the true basis/source of morality is empathy, which most people are born with, apparently. Look up "empathy gene."
    Enneagram: 5w4 5-9-2 (5w4 9w1 2w1) sp/so

"Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Greg King
    The worst mistake people make in political arguments is assuming that the other side is not trying to do the right thing. This simple oversight makes productive conversation nearly impossible.

Senior Member Array Agent Jelly's Avatar

I think a moment of silence to pray is appropriate. I however do not think a mandatory prayer time is. Religious schools should have free reign, but public schools I think should have a moment of silence.

The problem with optional prayer time is that it just sets up a divide between those who pray and those who don't.

I say keep it away from schools overall.