User Tag List

Thread: Distraction

Default Distraction

I'm reading a philosophy book dedicated to this topic at the minute, its the premise of the book that people seek distraction rather than face their life as it is, limitations and all, whether deliberately sought or unconsciously influential the author suggests distractions can subsume people and leave them regretting the life they never lived.

Do you agree and are you susceptible to distractions?

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Yes I agree. I think many people are prone to distractions as a way of tuning out problems or issues they just don't want to deal with.

I think everyone is suspectible to distractions to some extent. As for myself, I have been increasingly aware of when I'm distracting myself away from what's really important.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I'm reading a philosophy book dedicated to this topic at the minute, its the premise of the book that people seek distraction rather than face their life as it is, limitations and all, whether deliberately sought or unconsciously influential the author suggests distractions can subsume people and leave them regretting the life they never lived.

Do you agree and are you susceptible to distractions?
    Yes. I often feel as though when I am feeling dissatisfied with my life, I retreat by distracting myself with things that have no real bearing on my quality of life.
    I have no idea how to stop this.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Hey, sometimes people running from their basic fears accomplish pretty incredible things.

Maybe keeping your mind occupied by something unrelated to your own pain is a good thing for society.

I'm probably just playing devil's advocate here.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w3

I am always finding distractions from my life. But when things are going better I totally forget about them. I guess I just feel I need them to get through parts of life that generally suck.

MBTI
    INFP

well I can't help but think that distractions are the opium of the people...big business have mastered the art of selling us stuff to fill in the gaps to escape boredom or the things we fear.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    Hey, sometimes people running from their basic fears accomplish pretty incredible things.

Maybe keeping your mind occupied by something unrelated to your own pain is a good thing for society.
    This.

Dreaming is a distraction but without our dreams we are nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I can conceive of someone being this way for their entire lives even until death, because from what I can tell, humans have a great ability to find excuses for everything they do. Humans have the tendency and ability to convince themselves in solitude that what they are doing in the moment is the best thing for them to do. They can even rationalize to themselves and others that it's best for society. My point is, as long as one continues on with basic survival with smatterings of small comforts along the way, I don't see what would make this tendency end. There may never be a "wake up call" that gives way to tons of regret.