• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Distraction

Lark

I'm reading a philosophy book dedicated to this topic at the minute, its the premise of the book that people seek distraction rather than face their life as it is, limitations and all, whether deliberately sought or unconsciously influential the author suggests distractions can subsume people and leave them regretting the life they never lived.

Do you agree and are you susceptible to distractions?

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yes I agree. I think many people are prone to distractions as a way of tuning out problems or issues they just don't want to deal with.

I think everyone is suspectible to distractions to some extent. As for myself, I have been increasingly aware of when I'm distracting myself away from what's really important.

Vie

Giggity
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
I'm reading a philosophy book dedicated to this topic at the minute, its the premise of the book that people seek distraction rather than face their life as it is, limitations and all, whether deliberately sought or unconsciously influential the author suggests distractions can subsume people and leave them regretting the life they never lived.

Do you agree and are you susceptible to distractions?

Yes. I often feel as though when I am feeling dissatisfied with my life, I retreat by distracting myself with things that have no real bearing on my quality of life.
I have no idea how to stop this.

redacted

Hey, sometimes people running from their basic fears accomplish pretty incredible things.

Maybe keeping your mind occupied by something unrelated to your own pain is a good thing for society.

I'm probably just playing devil's advocate here.

Kriash

Resident Apple Hoarder
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
I am always finding distractions from my life. But when things are going better I totally forget about them. I guess I just feel I need them to get through parts of life that generally suck.

dukkha

MBTI Type
INFP
well I can't help but think that distractions are the opium of the people...big business have mastered the art of selling us stuff to fill in the gaps to escape boredom or the things we fear.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hey, sometimes people running from their basic fears accomplish pretty incredible things.

Maybe keeping your mind occupied by something unrelated to your own pain is a good thing for society.

This.

Dreaming is a distraction but without our dreams we are nothing.

I can conceive of someone being this way for their entire lives even until death, because from what I can tell, humans have a great ability to find excuses for everything they do. Humans have the tendency and ability to convince themselves in solitude that what they are doing in the moment is the best thing for them to do. They can even rationalize to themselves and others that it's best for society. My point is, as long as one continues on with basic survival with smatterings of small comforts along the way, I don't see what would make this tendency end. There may never be a "wake up call" that gives way to tons of regret.