• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Moral relativists who love Edahn

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Moral relativist?

More like, *seemingly* ethical, a-moralist.

Honestly Edahn, I more or less *hate/cannot stand* moral relativists, this is a very potentially dangerous topic for me.

*They are running amok in the liberal studies dept. here, they are so godawful that I had to change my major. oh and 95% of them teach, or aspire to be teachers.

Last edited by a moderator:

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Moral relativist?

I had a nice, fancy, mean reply, but I'll give you a chance. So...

What the hell are you talking about? What exactly is your objection, or are you just making a (bad) joke?

Honestly Edahn, I more or less *hate/cannot stand* moral relativists, this is a very potentially dangerous topic for me.

Try to put your feelings aside for a minute and give me a well-thought out objection. Honestly.

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
Moral relativist?

Um, well, that's kinda what the whole thread is about. And moral relativism isn't amoral. It's just looking at morality/ethics across the whole of human history and in the present, without judging. I see it as being non-judgemental in the truest sense of the word.

I don't want this thread derailed into 'moral relativism is bad'. This is about how to build a framework of values, not judging people for what they do or don't believe in.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Fine...here goes.

A moral relativist views "culture" as the deciding factor in regards to what's considered moral, or amoral.

If a certain culture deems female mutilation/subjugation as A-ok, then it is.

Wrong.

Human beings innately have rights.

i.e. children have certain rights, women have certain rights, elderly people have certain rights, regardless of their circumstantially allotted "cultural" background.

It is morally wrong to intentionally hurt another person and infringe on their individual rights.

The nazi's were wrong.

slavery is wrong.

rape is wrong.

murder is wrong.

No ifs ands or buts.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
This is about how to build a framework of values, not judging people for what they do or don't believe in.
Of course one needs to judge someone on what their moral beliefs are!!!

If a person believes that all Indian people are inferior and therefore unworthy of standard human rights, that person *should* be judged as an ignorant asshole.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Damn you Edahn!!!!

x_x

Yet another thread started for me, by you (pl)!!!!!

^As in mods.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Fine...here goes.

A moral relativist views "culture" as the deciding factor in regards to what's considered moral, or amoral.

If a certain culture deems female mutilation/subjugation as A-ok, then it is.

No. It just means that female subjugation is an accepted practice in that culture. Can you deny that?

To say it's "ok" without saying who it's okay TO, is exactly what moral relativists are trying to avoid.

Wrong.

Human beings innately have rights.

i.e. children have certain rights, women have certain rights, elderly people have certain rights, regardless of their circumstantially allotted "cultural" background.

It is morally wrong to intentionally hurt another person and infringe on their individual rights.

The nazi's were wrong.

slavery is wrong.

rape is wrong.

murder is wrong.

No if ands or buts.

That sounds like a pretty open attitude.

Human being innately have rights? Prove it.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
A criminal who is a *proven* threat to society, is temporarily, or permanently, relinquished of his rights because he *infringes* on other people's rights.

AND THE DEATH PENALTY IS WRONG.

We all have these moral rights, and we all need to play by these ethical rules.

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
Of course one needs to judge someone on what their moral beliefs are!!!

If a person believes that all Indian people are inferior and therefore unworthy of standard human rights, that person *should* be judged as an ignorant asshole.

Eh. I've worked out two of my values as a result of this thread.

1) I value true objectivity and understanding why people do what they do. This is a core value. (I've worked this out from my reaction to your posts in this thread)

2) My beliefs and values are for me and me alone. My natural tendency is to judge others (see CC's post I've quoted) but another part of me deeply dislikes judging others in that way. The long term goal is to be compassionate to all others in my mind. I've had glimpses of it. That's where I want to be long term.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Okay, here's one: Which is more right? Christianity or Islam?

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Everything is right and everything is wrong, depending on the point of view.

And why is the death penalty wrong? Whatever happened to "an eye for an eye?"

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Eh. I've worked out two of my values as a result of this thread.

1) I value true objectivity and understanding why people do what they do. This is a core value. (I've worked this out from my reaction to your posts in this thread)

2) My beliefs and values are for me and me alone. My natural tendency is to judge others (see CC's post I've quoted) but another part of me deeply dislikes judging others in that way. The long term goal is to be compassionate to all others in my mind. I've had glimpses of it. That's where I want to be long term.
Understanding *why* people do what they do hasn't a thing to do with understanding/realizing *what* they both *do* and *should* do.