User Tag List

First 234

Results 31 to 34 of 34

  1. #31
    Senior Member Journey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6
    Socionics
    INFj
    Posts
    261

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Victoryismine View Post
    Here, we call it Utilitarianism.

    Utilitarianism was given to us by Jeremy Bentham.

    You can see him today at the bottom of the stairs in University College, London, in a glass case.

    Here we quote him in his dictum, "The greatest good for the greatest number".

    And not only that but we have put his dictum into practice.

    And have created one of the most successful, modern societies.

    Victor.
    I hope you didn't think I meant to imply that the philosophy behind pragmatism was something new. There is nothing new under the sun. Pragmatism by that name was born in the USA ironically enough in the nineteenth century from three former members of a Harvard Metaphysics Club. William James, Charles Pierce and Oliver Wendell Holmes--became, along with John Dewey, the leading spokesmen in the United States for the philosophy of pragmatism. The Metaphysics Club produced a violent antimetaphysical philosophy!

  2. #32
    Boring old fossil Night's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None
    Posts
    4,754

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victoryismine View Post

    Here we quote him in his dictum, "The greatest good for the greatest number".

    And not only that but we have put his dictum into practice.


    Victor.
    Yes: to the wealthy go the spoils.

  3. #33
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,529

    Default Philosophers in Glass Cases

    Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    I hope you didn't think I meant to imply that the philosophy behind pragmatism was something new. There is nothing new under the sun. Pragmatism by that name was born in the USA ironically enough in the nineteenth century from three former members of a Harvard Metaphysics Club. William James, Charles Pierce and Oliver Wendell Holmes--became, along with John Dewey, the leading spokesmen in the United States for the philosophy of pragmatism. The Metaphysics Club produced a violent antimetaphysical philosophy!
    Good heavens, no. It's just that I live near Bentham street and I have always been struck by Jeremy, stuffed in his glass case at the foot of the stairs.

    Do you think we should preserve more philosophers this way or are their works enough?

    Victor.

  4. #34
    Senior Member Journey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6
    Socionics
    INFj
    Posts
    261

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Do you think we should preserve more philosophers this way or are their works enough?Victor.
    I think that is a brilliant idea. We could house them all in one building, using wax for those we don't have actual bodies. I'm a librarian so how to classify them? By philosophy type? No, by the cycles of philosophy! You think the world would learn anything about the nonsense?
    "My Journey is my Destination."

    "Today Counts Forever." R.C. Sproul

Similar Threads

  1. How To Build a Homemade Electric Guitar [VIDEO]
    By Mal12345 in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-30-2013, 10:34 AM
  2. [JCF] how to be more productive and consistent; building mental stamina?
    By Rebe in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-17-2010, 12:45 PM
  3. Online "How To" magazine
    By kuranes in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-02-2007, 08:38 PM
  4. Help--How to Keep from Sleeping in Class!
    By rivercrow in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-21-2007, 01:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO