User Tag List

12 Last

Buddhist Sexual Abuse

The Canberra Times has documents that show that the highest reaches of Tibetan Buddhism sought to cover up sexual abuse by a Buddhist monk in Canberra just recently.

So the urge to cover up sexual abuse is common to Catholicism, Islam and Buddhism.

It seems to me that the claims of these religions are undermined, not only by sexual abuse, but by the cover-up at the highest levels.

Each religion puts their adherents into a trance where they are expected to accept anything, even sexual abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    So the urge to cover up sexual abuse is common to Catholicism, Islam and Buddhism.
    I dare believe it is common everywhere.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

This is just the sort of thing that happens when there is a power structure involved and an organization that feels it needs to be perceived positively, involving religion or otherwise. I could definitely see this sort of thing happening within a political party.

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

It always makes me sad to see people throw integrity out the window in order to preserve the status quo.
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

Smile Disassociation

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    I dare believe it is common everywhere.
    Yes, it is as though there is such a disconnect between ideal of the institution and reality, that reality must be denied.

But social change and the free press are putting an end to the disconnect.

I remember it was the newspaper, the Illawarra Mercury in Wollongong, New South Wales, that first blew the lid on sexual abuse. And now even our own Canberra Times won't remain silent.

But still, I think the disconnect between the ideal and reality found in our institutions is found in each of the members. And in the individual this disconnect is called, disassociation, where one part of the psyche doesn't speak to another part of the psyche.

And this is equally true here with MBTI where the ideal and the reality are kept separate. And many of us are disassociated here as we are in our daily lives.

Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    It always makes me sad to see people throw integrity out the window in order to preserve the status quo.
    Yes, disassociation makes personal integrity impossible. However it's worse, for disassociation is unconscious. So the sufferer is unaware of any lack of integrity, rather they split off what is unacceptable, and present as good, whole and wholesome psyches and deeply resent any imputation that they may lack integrity.

Smile Blaming the victim.

Quote Originally Posted by Qlippoth View Post
    This is just the sort of thing that happens when there is a power structure involved and an organization that feels it needs to be perceived positively, involving religion or otherwise. I could definitely see this sort of thing happening within a political party.
    Yes, any ideology serves interests, is predigested thought and has a demonology.

And to avoid being demonised ourselves, we deny that aspect of our psyche and project it outwards onto the victims.

So in order to avoid becoming victims ourselves, we split our psyche in two.

We do this all unconsciously and so we are anesthetised and feel no pain. We unconsciously ensure that all the pain is felt by the victim. And when they complain, we blame the victim.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

wonder if this happens in satanism? they tend to embrace that part of themselves the these religions steer clear of

no i dont sport any religion

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Institutions are corrupt by default. It's so hard to find even one person with integrity... and when you have an institution, the most corrupt people are the ones able to climb the highest.

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    Institutions are corrupt by default. It's so hard to find even one person with integrity... and when you have an institution, the most corrupt people are the ones able to climb the highest.
    If this is true, inevitable in all instances, then how do you transmit the learning and experience of one generation to the next? How other than by the organic social growths which are properly so called institutions?

I'm not trying to take you to task or make a personal attack but this smacks of being an oft repeated "truism" which isnt the result of serious thinking.