User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Thumbs up En vino veritas...

"In wine the truth".

Do you think that people show their true colors when they're drunk? Not dinner-party buzzed - OBLITERATED. To the point where your friends have to gently break it to you what you did last night...

Does alcohol cut through socially programmed facades, behaviors and preferences, leaving only the raw essence of self to interact with the world?

For instance, a violent drunk = a generally angry person who just deeply suppresses it in daily sober life, or channels it in more innocuous ways. A talkative drunk = a true extrovert, who might seem introverted due to anxiety and/or intense self-regulation ("pfft! Only morons go around yammering about!")

Taking it a step further, do you think that the actions done only when drunk are actions that the same person sober has the URGE to do, but doesn't let himself?
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg

I think there are no true colors, just many facets.

L'anima non dimora Donna Cecilia's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    LII

It is.

Their subconscious self and repressed thoughts show up when they are drunk -not wasted. Alcohol weakens mental defenses and self-control mechanisms.

If I want to know someone's true self (and have no time or patience to use my usual tactics), I get him his favourite drink in a friendly context.

"An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise."
    Victor Hugo

LII/INTj (Analyst) - 1w9 Sp/Sx - RC|O|EI - Melancholy/Choleric

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

No; well, basically - I believe your completely natural personaly can show when you're intoxicated, but not truly drunk. If you're wasted, it seems like one's own personality can be modified towards both extremes (either very aggressive or very passive).
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

figsfiggyfigs

Quote Originally Posted by Donna Cecilia View Post
    It is.

Their subconscious self and repressed thoughts show up when they are drunk -not wasted. Alcohol weakens mental defenses and self-control mechanisms.

If I want to know someone's true self (and have no time or patience to use my usual tactics), I get him his favourite drink in a friendly context.
    This.

Like FDG also said, it becomes (depending on how intoxicated) the opposite side of the spectrum. One of the extremes.

Haha, you mixed french and latin.

My job here is done.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

This thread brings to mind one of my very favorite quotes:

"I can't trust a man who doesn't drink, because a man who doesn't drink doesn't trust himself."

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    I think there are no true colors, just many facets.
    This.

If someone refrains from anti-social activity while sober then that is a major facet of their 'true self'; its not all about our impulses and tastes (which alcohol can alter, anyway), but also our reason and our ethics. If the latter facets are compromised by mind-altering substances, then the totality of the 'self' (insofar as it actually exists) is hidden away. Of course, a truly ethical person would avoid activities that they know causes them to be susceptible to anti-social behavoir, and so people who have bad reactions to intoxication shouldn't get drunk.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

No, alcohol does not make someone show their true selves (whatever a true self is, anyhow). It can break down a person's ability to maintain the typical persona, but that doesn't mean a persona is gone. When people are drunk, their behavior initially tends to be a manifestation of how they expected that they would behave while being drunk (hence broad cultural difference in how people act while drinking). If a person drinks beyond that point, they don't so much remove all their acting and speak the truth as they begin to malfunction to the point that it's like someone talking in their sleep.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

If a person is angry or violent when drunk, it doesn mean that they are angry or violent by nature. It just means that they have subconscious emotions that need to be released.