• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Socrates

Lark

Great guy or eejit? Decide and discuss.

I'm only really becoming interested in reading more about him now, although I've read the different books Plato wrote about him, Plato was really cracked up about him and I'm led to believe those pretty much are the primary sources.

Kolakowski thinks that he was as influential as Jesus on western civilisation.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My personal thoughts of him? I think he was a great individual who, beyond his ability to reason, was to questions all things. Philosophy, ultimately, is a metod of deriving truth, and thus the ability to think and question all that we know, or can know, is crucial. I find it dissapointing though that he died such an undeserving and tragic death; he truly was the 'Jesus' of Greek society as far as I'm concerned.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
Greatest guy. Although I haven't read much about him.
Here are some quotes:

"As for me, all I know is that I know nothing"

Beware the barrenness of a busy life.

Beauty is a short-lived tyranny.

False words are not only evil in themselves, but they infect the soul with evil.

From the deepest desires often come the deadliest hate.

He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.

I was really too honest a man to be a politician and live.

If a man is proud of his wealth, he should not be praised until it is known how he employs it.

Wisdom begins in wonder.

Worthless people live only to eat and drink; people of worth eat and drink only to live

KDude

A fool in general hygiene, but still knew what was best in life.

Mel Gibson should make a Greek only version of his life to accompany The Passion. Although, I'm sure drinking hemlock doesn't quite have enough of a gore factor to it.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Originally posted by Victor
Seriously, what do you think Socrates would think of MBTI?

Perhaps Socrates would see MBTI the same way he saw forms; that the types were the pure personality of people, and what we were are the unperfect version of those types. :thinking:

KDude

He'd definitely protest any inherent groupthink or whatnot (that might exist in MBTI). That's essentially the one thing he cared to fight against.

G

Ginkgo

He'd definitely protest any inherent groupthink or whatnot (that might exist in MBTI). That's essentially the one thing he cared to fight against.

Are you kidding me? If anyone would upset the status quo to the point of being irritant, it would not be Socrates.

Idiocrates.jpg