User Tag List

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Those that go to church only on religious holidays

Senior Citizen Member Array swordpath's Avatar
    MBTI
    IxTJ
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Those that go to church only on religious holidays

Bugs me like crazy. I've never seen so many people in church attire than there were this morning, shuffling around town. Churches dismissing, and people pouring out of them. You never see that here, in one of the most atheistic/anti-religious cities in the country.

What's the point? You won't earn your salvation going to church two days out of the year... How do people justify this and not feel like a complete tool?

Senior Member Array
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ignite View Post
    Bugs me like crazy. I've never seen so many people in church attire than there were this morning, shuffling around town. Churches dismissing, and people pouring out of them. You never see that here, in one of the most atheistic/anti-religious cities in the country.

What's the point? You won't earn your salvation going to church two days out of the year... How do people justify this and not feel like a complete tool?
    Do you know what will and wont "earn your salvation"?

I was going to write a lengthy response to this but I think I'll stick to saying why does it bother you?

nightmare hippie Array Marmotini's Avatar
    MBTI
    Fi
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know why people do this. When I was in WV and my mom or sisters tried to get me to go to church on Easter, it's kind of like...why would I?

I think this might be something people with Fe do. I don't know.
    and you salute me Miss America, cause I am, I am

The Zen of Moving in Stereo

SEE-Fi /Gamma

MBTI
    IxTJ
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't believe in heavenly salvation to begin with, but that's kind of besides the point.

What bothers me is that there is no respectable reason for people to attend church only on holidays... I can respect the devout, who regard church as a central part of their life and it's a regular ritual for them. I can respect those that dislike church and don't attend, but still may be "spiritual".

I can't respect people who treat church as some custom, doing it only because that's how they were brought up. I sure as hell can't respect people that think there's some sort of 2-day church quota and then they're square with "God". I'm not a Christian, but I know what the Bible instructs... and it's certainly not a lukewarm, mediocre lifestyle.

nightmare hippie Array Marmotini's Avatar
    MBTI
    Fi
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I don't understand it, but on the other hand I don't think you should concern yourself so much with other people's spiritual beliefs.

For all you know they pray every day at home.

But I agree - some people do it for purely Fe reasons, for reasons of social ritual.
    and you salute me Miss America, cause I am, I am

The Zen of Moving in Stereo

SEE-Fi /Gamma

MBTI
    IxTJ
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Well, I don't understand it, but on the other hand I don't think you should concern yourself so much with other people's spiritual beliefs.

For all you know they pray every day at home.

But I agree - some people do it for purely Fe reasons, for reasons of social ritual.
    And if that's how they do it (pray everyday at home), why go to church solely on a holiday?

MBTI
    INtP
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni
    Post Thanks / Like

Religious holidays are also tied to nostalgia and tradition, so you're going to get large numbers going on Christmas Eve and Easter here in the USA simply because it's also a typical "family gathering" day, no one wants to fight, and it's part of the routine, and maybe taps into what people did as part of their family in years past. So it's more a "family" thing than a "faith" thing, Ignite.

I really doubt a lot of people consciously think that they're going to be "saved" by attending two religious holiday services a year. More, they think they'll be saved for being a "good person" or something similar. (Although I'm sure they think it can't hurt, either.)
    Hey Capa. We're only stardust.

She was waiting, but she didn't know for what. She was aware only of her solitude, and of the penetrating cold, and of a greater weight in the region of her heart. ~ Albert Camus

Movie Reviews: What Jenny Saw

pet of sns and chawie Array prplchknz's Avatar
    MBTI
    yupp
    Enneagram
    6 sp/sx
    Post Thanks / Like

who cares? I mean really in the big scheme of thing who cares when or why people go to church? I hate when people are assholes but people are assholes and nothing you can do to change that.

p.s. I'm not calling you an asshole

MBTI
    IxTJ
    Post Thanks / Like

You're right, but I just think it's a silly routine/ritual. Turns the whole thing into a joke.

MBTI
    IxTJ
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    who cares? I mean really in the big scheme of thing who cares when or why people go to church? I hate when people are assholes but people are assholes and nothing you can do to change that.

p.s. I'm not calling you an asshole
    For the same reason some people cringe when a chalk board is scratched on and others pay no mind. It just so happens to bothers the crap out of me.