• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Those that go to church only on religious holidays

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes that's the point.

It reminds me of that one time I managed to get on a catalog mailing list for old people. I'd get these catalogs to buy things like burma shave, calculators with giant displays and various body shaping garments. There was an ad for a massager and a photograph accompanying it picturing a 60 year old lady holding a vibrator against her neck. Was it a neck massager, or was it a sexual pleasuring device? I'm betting on the latter.

S

Sniffles

That's nice, but old women using vibrators doesn't change the fact that churches are primarily houses of worship.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That's nice, but old women using vibrators doesn't change the fact that churches are primarily houses of worship.

Of course it does, it changes everything.

My point is it's as equally valid and to consider things as what they are actually used for instead as what they are intended for.

S

Sniffles

Of course it does, it changes everything.

My point is it's as equally valid and to consider things as what they are actually used for instead as what they are intended for.

It doesn't really change much if anything, churches are primarily about the worship of God. Whether people attend because they want to worship God, to check out some hot girl in the choir, or get free brownies(I'm bummed the one church I attend no longer does that) is of minor significance to that. Not to mention it only applies in certain cultural contexts.

I might as well argue that communist party meetings were largely about getting free ice cream because that was the main reason my uncle and his friends used to attend them.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I might as well argue that communist party meetings were largely about getting free ice cream because that was the main reason my uncle and his friends used to attend them.

If a significantly large amount of people are attending communist party meetings mostly to get free brownies then your argument does have merit. There are a lot of instituions out there that are essentially excuses for social engagements. I believe that 'church' is often that, for good or for bad, by orginal design or contrary to. I don't see that you disagree with me here, just the judgement as to whether it's an ill use of a Sunday.

S

Sniffles

I'm not agreeing with your assertion at all that churches are only about socializing - nice try though. Without some form of attachment to the religion, there would be no reason for people to socialize in church. There are plenty of other venues to socialize. Just like I to socialize at historical roundtables because I have an interest in history. Of course there's socializing at church, since churches are communities. But it's a community dedicated to the worship of God.

How much more simple does this get?

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not agreeing with your assertion at all that churches are largely about socializing - nice try though. Without some form of attachment to the religion, there would be no reason for people to socialize in church. There are plenty of other venues to socialize. Just like I to socialize at historical roundtables because I have an interest in history.

Oh, yeah.. take a look a the Anglican church. :)

Look, we're in a thread talking about people who only go to church on the holidays. It doesn't bug me because I think that's the best use for a church, and it's not an unusual use for a church. I'll leave it there.