User Tag List

First 789

Results 81 to 88 of 88

  1. #81
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qlippoth View Post
    Well, that may be the intended purpose
    Yes that's the point.

  2. #82
    Post Human Post Qlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Yes that's the point.
    It reminds me of that one time I managed to get on a catalog mailing list for old people. I'd get these catalogs to buy things like burma shave, calculators with giant displays and various body shaping garments. There was an ad for a massager and a photograph accompanying it picturing a 60 year old lady holding a vibrator against her neck. Was it a neck massager, or was it a sexual pleasuring device? I'm betting on the latter.

  3. #83
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    That's nice, but old women using vibrators doesn't change the fact that churches are primarily houses of worship.

  4. #84
    Post Human Post Qlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    That's nice, but old women using vibrators doesn't change the fact that churches are primarily houses of worship.
    Of course it does, it changes everything.

    My point is it's as equally valid and to consider things as what they are actually used for instead as what they are intended for.

  5. #85
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qlippoth View Post
    Of course it does, it changes everything.

    My point is it's as equally valid and to consider things as what they are actually used for instead as what they are intended for.
    It doesn't really change much if anything, churches are primarily about the worship of God. Whether people attend because they want to worship God, to check out some hot girl in the choir, or get free brownies(I'm bummed the one church I attend no longer does that) is of minor significance to that. Not to mention it only applies in certain cultural contexts.

    I might as well argue that communist party meetings were largely about getting free ice cream because that was the main reason my uncle and his friends used to attend them.

  6. #86
    Post Human Post Qlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    I might as well argue that communist party meetings were largely about getting free ice cream because that was the main reason my uncle and his friends used to attend them.
    If a significantly large amount of people are attending communist party meetings mostly to get free brownies then your argument does have merit. There are a lot of instituions out there that are essentially excuses for social engagements. I believe that 'church' is often that, for good or for bad, by orginal design or contrary to. I don't see that you disagree with me here, just the judgement as to whether it's an ill use of a Sunday.

  7. #87
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    I'm not agreeing with your assertion at all that churches are only about socializing - nice try though. Without some form of attachment to the religion, there would be no reason for people to socialize in church. There are plenty of other venues to socialize. Just like I to socialize at historical roundtables because I have an interest in history. Of course there's socializing at church, since churches are communities. But it's a community dedicated to the worship of God.

    How much more simple does this get?

  8. #88
    Post Human Post Qlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    I'm not agreeing with your assertion at all that churches are largely about socializing - nice try though. Without some form of attachment to the religion, there would be no reason for people to socialize in church. There are plenty of other venues to socialize. Just like I to socialize at historical roundtables because I have an interest in history.
    Oh, yeah.. take a look a the Anglican church.

    Look, we're in a thread talking about people who only go to church on the holidays. It doesn't bug me because I think that's the best use for a church, and it's not an unusual use for a church. I'll leave it there.

Similar Threads

  1. should I go to church tonight or not?
    By prplchknz in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-14-2012, 11:42 PM
  2. Question for those who oppose same-sex marriage on religious grounds:
    By Brendan in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 111
    Last Post: 05-05-2010, 09:32 PM
  3. [NT] Tricks to keep working on stuff that doesn't interest you as NT?
    By Fluffywolf in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-03-2009, 05:14 PM
  4. Why people pray and go to church.synagogue,mosque....?
    By Virtual ghost in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 205
    Last Post: 02-17-2009, 09:55 AM
  5. So it's going to be 75 degrees on Christmas
    By swordpath in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 12-22-2008, 01:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO