User Tag List

First 56789 Last

MBTI
    ISTx

If I end up at church with my family, I don't take communion.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    Getting into heaven isn't the only reason to attend church.

It's like people are only concerned with what the bare minimum is to appease God.

If he is a loving Father and friend why wouldn't a believer want to go to church?

Agreed. I believe the problem is that naturally everyone is a horrible person at their core. Thus everyone needs a new nature. While not absolutely necessary meetings could be helpful in developing this new good nature.

I think organization and too much interaction with other people makes people worse than they'd be isolated in really small groups (families) or alone.
    Organized religion is just another thing that is intended to control masses of people.

Being spiritual is something good, however. It is the organization that is evil.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    I think organization and too much interaction with other people makes people worse than they'd be isolated in really small groups (families) or alone.
    Organized religion is just another thing that is intended to control masses of people.

Being spiritual is something good, however. It is the organization that is evil.
    I understand your concerns.

My denomination is very concerned about where power is vested. There is less power at the highest levels of the church government structure than at the lowest levels. The people appoint their own leaders not the highest levels of government. Plus we have an inclination to plant many small churches as opposed to several mega-churches.

But, I know you hate all types of government.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Sniffles

Usually if I attend non-Catholic churches, I don't take communion. Both out of respect towards their tradition and out of adherence to mine.

Ginkgo

I think people with stable beliefs and convictions, who have a hardy outlook about life's challenges, tend to be able to cope with stress more than people who veer toward "dabbling" and experimentation. It's not just exclusive to the religiously devout, but there have been case studies that have shown religious people tend to have a longer lifespan than others. That's just a correlation, but it's food for thought.

Characteristics of the Hardy Personality

Commitment- sense of self, direction and place in life
    Control- personal agency, internal locus of control
    Challenge- looked at change as expected, and normal. A challenge to overcome but not a stressor

I'm a dabbler myself.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    I think people with stable beliefs and convictions, who have a hardy outlook about life's challenges, tend to be able to cope with stress more than people who veer toward "dabbling" and experimentation. It's not just exclusive to the religiously devout, but there have been case studies that have shown religious people tend to have a longer lifespan than others. That's just a correlation, but it's food for thought.

Characteristics of the Hardy Personality

Commitment- sense of self, direction and place in life
    Control- personal agency, internal locus of control
    Challenge- looked at change as expected, and normal. A challenge to overcome but not a stressor

I'm a dabbler myself.
    In related news, Js outlive Ps on the whole. In Big 5 terms, people who score higher on Conscienciousness live longer:

Higher levels of conscientiousness were significantly and positively related to longevity (r = .11, 95% confidence interval = .05-.17). Associations were strongest for the achievement (persistent, industrious) and order (organized, disciplined) facets of conscientiousness.
    Some have made claims of the Conscientious living up to 30% longer, the bastards!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

That's weird. I thought Js would be more likely to have strokes and heart attacks.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    In related news, Js outlive Ps on the whole. In Big 5 terms, people who score higher on Conscienciousness live longer:

Some have made claims of the Conscientious living up to 30% longer, the bastards!
    That's because 3rd world countries fester with Ps.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post

Organised religion came about by accident when the tyranny of structurelessness dawned upon early Christians, it was impossible to get a coherent message or word out when too much diversity and disparity existed, just about every single movement in politics, culture, art, ideology and even fan communities, clubs, societies or sports have gone through the same sort of thing without the same talk of betrayal, anathema and evil.

The day and hour that someone invents a fail safe means of combining organisation and first principles I'm sure it will catch and spread like wild fire, as more perfect things do, but until then there's the attempts which have been tried, while admittedly having been found wanting in the balance, they provide some learning at least.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

People still believe in hell? How cute.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness