User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    yupp

my mom's very religious and helps out with church functions, sometimes when I'm in town I go with her to help set up and clean up for events, but I don't believe in god or heaven so I'm not going to be saved I'm going as a favor for my mom. I also don't take the eucharist because even though I am baptized orthodox and if I did believe in the religion I haven't been to confession since I was 14 and you can't partake unless you've been in the last 6 months
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    yeah, I would hear lots of complaints when I was in church from other church-goers, who felt like people were insincere to just show up twice a year and felt like the entire service was fake... while they, since they committed to going all the time, were sincere in their beliefs.
    I am sincere in my belief that going to church weekly/daily is too often. How many times can one go over the accounts of same gospels before the magic starts to wane.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    my mom's very religious and helps out with church functions, sometimes when I'm in town I go with her to help set up and clean up for events, but I don't believe in god or heaven so I'm not going to be saved I'm going as a favor for my mom.
    Well if there is a God, then I think he should give you some brownie points for this anyways.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I very rarely go to church and when I do I find I am irritated. I understand the ceremony but it seems to have little to do with me. And it's as though the congregation is walking in their sleep. Frankly I don't see any chance of them waking up. The nuns have left. The young have left, even the altar boys have left. And all that's left is to put a brave face on it, and guess what, they are going to develop the land into Aged Persons Units, rather expensive ones. It's as though they are completely determined to do something but I don't know what. I don't think criticizing them helps and I don't think joining them helps. It's as though they are waiting, somehow abandoned and lost, waiting for Godot. I saw the play, "Waiting for Godot", and I felt the same way I do at church. It's kinda like life imitating art.
    I completely agree! I think that this "worship" style is probably insulting to God. It's like come on people! At least pretend you want to be here. The parishioners look like every last bit of joy has been sucked out of their soul. I must be missing some essential piece of the picture, but I'm not seeing the worship. I think that I've only rarely witnessed true worship in churches. I know, I know. It's sad that our savior was brutally murdered on the cross. However, I can't shake the feeling that the people around me in church look miserable and empty for some other reason. I try to focus on the mass instead, and that's a big flop, since it's the same words at almost every single mass that mean little to me. Boo.

The joy that comes from mass for me has more to do with childhood memories with my family than the mass itself.

When I visit certain friends, we go to a very old fashioned church where everyone wears veils and long skirts and go on every holy day and practice every ritual. While I don't have a problem with this, there is little joy and laughter amongst these people. (Even the kids.) The friends I go see are friends with these people. I asked the friend why an eight year old girl in the congregation had to wear a dress that looked like a table cloth. It's very unfortunate to live a life such an unnatural life from such a young age- in the name of religion.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Why is that unnatural?

I think I understand what you're saying but I'm less inclined to believe that it is religion which is making people miserable, they live in the same world as anyone else and its not an easy place to live with much happiness or so it appears. I've been to all sorts of mass, traditional, latin, gospel choir, praise, with upbeat, down beat, all sorts of themes too but you meet the same mix of people with the same character, like the rest of life.

Victor suggests that people who take any solace in religion are brainwashed, entranced and all the other stock athiest hate speak, I'm not convinced that he is an example of a happy individual in contrast to the congregations attending mass that you mention.
    Well, I semi-agree with you, in the sense that I don't 100 percent agree with Victor. I do agree in large part with the one post that I responded to, though. I am actually likely to think that the priest has more of an idea of spirituality than a lot of parishoners do. I have great respect for most priests. I also agree that some people can truly use religion to better their lives and feel fufilled.

However, I feel that for many, religion is unnatural because of all the rules imposed on them from childhood. The words in (many) masses are so repetitive that as someone mentioned before the "magic" is eventually lost and the meaning is lost as well. Children in this environment being forced to follow a strict set of laws are not going to understand. Many hardcore religious people I see in my life don't seem to be able to apply it to modern society and turn it into something real. It's just words and practices to me as an outsider. I've grown up in this environment and it has just never clicked right for me. Humans and children are meant to experience things and learn things and be happy. Some interpretations of what God wants from us seems to go completely against the flow of human nature. It seems to me that to be a "Good Catholic" (I was Catholic) and also a natural human are completely at odds with each other. They say you can ask questions of the religion but in reality, you can't question the religion. And if you do, the answers still never add up. (And when you start to question things and get angry and aren't 100% involved, you are no longer a true Catholic.)

My projection of sadness amongst very religous people is paritally my own bias. My personality has seemed to be at odds with religion, rules, and strong beliefs since day one, so it is easy for me to become bitter and worn out and feel that it is unnatural. (For example, Catholic religion tells you that being raised Catholic gives you some sort of a blessing over everyone else. You are blessed with your Catholic faith. But because we "know" what is right, we are expected to do more.) It is very unnatural to me to say "I know" anything. So now I'm going to hell. Because I can't say that I know for sure though I was born Catholic. Sounds more like a curse to me. I can't claim to know what God wants from me in modern day society. I can only listen to my heart and hope that I get some answers.

I found that I came to believe more in a higher power (and become closer) when religion was removed from the equation.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

I enjoy attending church regularly.

However, lately I have not been very regular in my attendance. This does not make me feel guilty or ashamed, but I know that I have missed out on many opportunities to experience joy. I have missed communion and the joyful reminders that I have a loving father and friend who has my best interest in his heart. Church services are an opportunity to be reminded and reflect on the many past mercies I have received. Our culture on a whole undervalues reflection and reminders.

It's very sad when people find church services to be a bore. But, I understand why people find so many of the worship services today to be boring. They mostly teach moralism and guilt. People can only listen to so many pep talks and guilt trips before they get bored. However, a living savior who is both fully God and fully man seems like someone I could spend eternity learning about.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    [...] I could spend eternity learning about.
    And you damn sure will!

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    I am sincere in my belief that going to church weekly/daily is too often. How many times can one go over the accounts of same gospels before the magic starts to wane.
    Actual study of scriptures is a different (since it pulls together knowledge in specific, exacting, academic disciplines), and there's a lot to church experience that has nothing to do with listening to the same ten Bible stories told over and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    And you damn sure will!
    I'm not sure whether this continued interplay is joking or trolling, but if you have something to contribute besides just taking negative one-shots at religion (which certainly is perceived as trolling), please feel free to share.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    And you damn sure will!
    There's nothing damning about that.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    It's very sad when people find church services to be a bore. But, I understand why people find so many of the worship services today to be boring. They mostly teach moralism and guilt. People can only listen to so many pep talks and guilt trips before they get bored. However, a living savior who is both fully God and fully man seems like someone I could spend eternity learning about.
    It can also depend on the format of the services. I noticed that Protestant services seem to place more emphasis on the sermon part, wheras in Catholic services it's usually more focused on communion.