User Tag List

123 Last

figsfiggyfigs

Default Lying is acceptable/unacceptable.

What do you think of the act of "lying"?

What would you consider a white/black lie. How severe is 'okay'?

Do you find lying cowardly? Are there benefits to lying? is it necessary for survival?

Does anyone firmly believe in the saying that " The Truth Will Set You Free" ?

Discuss.

MBTI
    INFJ

Personally! I think lying is always bad. I cannot think of a situation in which lying is better than the truth. and by better I mean like with a since of long term good... ya it sucks to eat the consequences to your failures but you reap what you sow.
    That's what I think and I admit it is radical. when I was a kid I was a borderline compulsive liar so I have been on both sides of it.
    Why Don't you Skype Me to ask the real Questions?

"Yes, you look fat in that skirt."

"Yes, you're the twin of Quasimodo."

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

I think it was Kant that said lying is completely unacceptable, in ANY circumstance. Interesting idea. So if some strange man shows up on your door in the middle of the night holding an axe and asking you where your family is sleeping, you have a moral obligation to tell him.

Does withholding information count as lying?

And ya, I think that lying is somewhat neccessary to keep the peace and harmony. Though this would depend on ones priorities.
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Personally, I think it's all dependent on the context of the lie and circumstance rather than being able to make an absolute ruling on the matter. There's definitely instances in which a well-placed lie can completely prevent senseless conflict or produce an overall positive outcome by being the means through false reassurance of some sort of existing anxiety.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Huxley3112 View Post
    I think it was Kant that said lying is completely unacceptable, in ANY circumstance. Interesting idea. So if some strange man shows up on your door in the middle of the night holding an axe and asking you where your family is sleeping, you have a moral obligation to tell him.
    Yes it was Kant (or Kahnt however one prefers to spell it). And well the situation is a good example. I think you don't have to directly answer his/her/it's question but ask for his intentions. But along the lines you kinda intended I believe that fear is no reason to lie. Withhold? I am not too sure about that. I believe that would have to depend on the intent of the withholder. But I bet that depends on circumstance.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    "Yes, you look fat in that skirt."

"Yes, you're the twin of Quasimodo."
    hahahahahah!

figsfiggyfigs

I think lying is cowardly in any instance, that doesn't mean that its not beneficial. To lie is to protect oneself from the consequence of the truth, it is hiding from a fear in that sense. To hide from a fear is a form of cowardice.

I extremely hate lying; but I also realize that, at rare times, it is necessary for self preservation.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Huxley3112 View Post
    So if some strange man shows up on your door in the middle of the night holding an axe and asking you where your family is sleeping, you have a moral obligation to tell him.
    That's not what Kant or for that matter anyother moral philosopher states. Quite the contrary, you're obligated not to tell the murderer where he can find his intended victim.

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    That's not what Kant or for that matter anyother moral philosopher states. Quite the contrary, you're obligated not to tell the murderer where he can find his intended victim.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwOCmJevigw
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts