• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Lying is acceptable/unacceptable.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Lying is a tool and a fact of life whether it's right or wrong.

However as we are in a world of lies or more accurately "perversions of the truth" then honesty carries a whole lot more bang for it's buck.

So lying isn't "wrong" and it isn't "right" but quite often it's just plain inefficient.

Haven

Blind Guardian
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
What constitutes lying exactly? What if you tell someone the truth, but as a result of a misunderstanding they interpret it wrongly and end up believing something that isn't true? Isn't that just as bad?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What constitutes lying exactly? What if you tell someone the truth, but as a result of a misunderstanding they interpret it wrongly and end up believing something that isn't true? Isn't that just as bad?

Lying is a willful attempt to make other people believe false information in order to influence their opinions, behaviors, or decisions.

Haven

Blind Guardian
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Sure, you shouldn't lie to people, but some people seriously don't want to know the truth or can't handle it without getting all hurt and throwing a fit. It's not my fault if I have to lie to someone because they will freak out if they hear the truth. So I would say it is not my responsibility to tell the truth if doing so will put me or someone else in danger. Don't want to be lied to? Don't act in such a way that makes people feel as if they have to lie to you. Or develop a good BS detector. Either one.

Not_Me

MBTI Type
INTj
Doesn't make it any less disgusting just because there is a favorable outcome.

If a friend lied to prevent a psychopath from killing you, would you actually chastise her in disgust?

Vie

Giggity
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
If a friend lied to prevent a psychopath from killing you, would you actually chastise her in disgust?

I wouldn't chastise. But I certainly would be thinking it. Where is the line drawn in regards to what is acceptable for lying and what isn't?
Don't get me wrong, I have lied many times just like everyone else has. But I was seriously disappointed in myself each time and ended up telling the truth anyways.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Blank said:
The murderer at the door allegory is only really a viable solution when you have a god or supernatural being that can save you/your friend's skin.
...why?

Because if you lie, you'll save your friend's life. If you tell the truth, your friend is going to die unless there's a god or supernatural being that will reward you for telling the truth. You're kind of depending on that supernatural being to fix things when they go sour.

I find people who believe lying is always wrong/should never be done to be naive. Who in their right mind would let someone die if it could be easily avoided with no repercussions?

Qre:us

Whether lying is acceptable or unacceptable would greatly depend on whether the conditions within which, it is considered as an option, is ethically acceptable or unacceptable, to begin with.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
What do you think of the act of "lying"?

I think it is a tool.. One that usually isn't respected, and thus often used for things that become ill-conceived. It is a powerful tool, and I think people use it like it is a squirt gun in life instead of respecting it as a handgun.

What would you consider a white/black lie. How severe is 'okay'?

White lie - Something that doesn't effect the person one way or the other. Examples to illustrate my point:
1. You need to get off of work.. people's priorities are different for everyone, so even though your dog's wedding to your neighbor's dog was a huge year-long process with dowry's, decorating preparations, and 7 hours of creating a doggie-treat wedding cake.. your boss may not see the importance of it. "I am sick :c No work for meee" could totally substitute without hurting your Boss. These are sketchy though, if you use them too much you run the risk of being caught/not believed.
2. The sympathetic lies.. You usually see these on TV shows. A girl is devastated her boyfriend was killed tragically... the cops conveniently leave out that he died in bed with a tranny hooker snorting coke from her ass cheeks and instead say, "He seemed to love you very much.." Her heart heals a bit faster as a result, and the dead dude is..well.. dead.. so the lie can't hurt him.
3. The "I can't illustrate what is going on in my head" lie. You're playing Dungeons and Dragons, a single dude recently becoming a knight. A woman, a key woman to your storyline, has a dowry on her head the size of your ego and you need her anyways.. so you flirt with her to get her to come over to you. IRL, this is an actual single girl playing in your party that you have no interest in, and you are a married dude. When you go home that night, you slip up and mention the situation--only you save it by saying one of the OTHER dudes did this instead of you. An angry, potentially jealous wife situation is avoided, but you still got to tell her the funny situation.

Black lie -- Anything that negatively affects the other party (i.e. "Your boyfriend called you a cunt the other day infront of his friends!!" and it isn't true..) OR there is a chance that the lie, whatever it is, would be exposed (i.e. you tell your boss you're sick, then post your pictures of the Nick's game you went to that evening.. Boss is your friend on FB.).

Do you find lying cowardly? Are there benefits to lying? is it necessary for survival?

It is absolutely cowardly.. but survival isn't about always being brave. Plenty of things in the natural world survive via cowardly acts. We're not all honey badgers. There are immediate benefits to lying, but if it affects the other party or yourself in any way (i.e. 90% of the time...) these benefits are temporary at best and the bigger the lie, the harder it is to maintain it. Oh and lies have a snowball effect that starts super quick. I think it is necessary for survival.. But keep in mind that I think most people are way above the "survival" stage of life right now. They're more in the "I can have this.. I want this.." stage.

Does anyone firmly believe in the saying that " The Truth Will Set You Free" ?

I absolutely do.

Not_Me

MBTI Type
INTj
Where is the line drawn in regards to what is acceptable for lying and what isn't?
Simple. If you value the person's trust and affection, don't lie to them. Otherwise, it's just another tool.

Having sex is repugnant under certain circumstances (ie: rape) but we do not make it a universal taboo. In what way is lying different?

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Because if you lie, you'll save your friend's life. If you tell the truth, your friend is going to die unless there's a god or supernatural being that will reward you for telling the truth. You're kind of depending on that supernatural being to fix things when they go sour.

I find people who believe lying is always wrong/should never be done to be naive. Who in their right mind would let someone die if it could be easily avoided with no repercussions?

Under the die hard belief that what is right is right and whats wrong is wrong, Kant created 3 maxims.
1st, you should ONLY do something if you believe it to be okay for someone to do it, ALL THE TIME. Universality.
2nd, that each person must be seen as an end, rather than a means to an end. Manipulation is out.
3rd, everyone is there own moral agent. So if you tell an axe murderer where someone is so he can cut them up, HE IS RESPONSIBLE for these actions, not you.

It's a deontology vs. consequentailism debate. Reality seems to fly better with consequentialism, or THE GREATER GOOD.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
@Not Me Isn't rape always harmful? Lying isn't necessarily harmful.

@Huxley Kant is not the only deontologist out there. He also wanted people to practice benificence. I can go on about how Kant would never work in the real world, but that's not the issue right now and you didn't really say much about my post.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
@Huxley Kant is not the only deontologist out there. He also wanted people to practice benificence. I can go on about how Kant would never work in the real world, but that's not the issue right now and you didn't really say much about my post.

No, I was simply conveying that it doesn't matter what supernatural being is going to fix shit when it goes sour, because each person is their own moral agent, under the theory. And I agree that there are many deontologists. But if your going to get into exceptions of lying, then your focusing on consequentalism, and if you can't draw a line, then your proposing universality of lying. So I guess what I was getting at, is WHERE DO YOU DRAW THE LINE?

Vie

Giggity
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Simple. If you value the person's trust and affection, don't lie to them. Otherwise, it's just another tool.

Having sex is repugnant under certain circumstances (ie: rape) but we do not make it a universal taboo. In what way is lying different?

That is an interesting point, I'll give you that.
Perhaps it is the way I was raised -- but to me it seems like you are comparing apples and oranges. :shrug: