Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    Singapore, at least that's what several international investors say on their forums
    PS: capitalism doesn't work like this because the legal system does not support it. you do have to make the bolded list illegal after all (which is more complicated than it sounds, but 1/100th as complicated as our own legal system in america.
    Singapore what? Do you mean the country or a company? I asked if you knew a multinational or huge corp which actually employs these idealistic rules that you mention. I don't know of a co. called Singapore so you'll have to link me to a page. If you just mean how capitalism works in Singapore i call bs.
    http://openlearn.open.ac.uk/mod/ouco...&section=1.4.2
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    IsFJ

I remember watching a special report on TV about Singapore... From what I gathered, it's a prosperous country overall, but immigrants have it real tough - they live in almost slave-like conditions, earning about 20 dollars a month.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by GemPOPGem View Post
    Singapore what? Do you mean the country or a company? I asked if you knew a multinational or huge corp which actually employs these idealistic rules that you mention. I don't know of a co. called Singapore so you'll have to link me to a page. If you just mean how capitalism works in Singapore i call bs.
    http://openlearn.open.ac.uk/mod/ouco...&section=1.4.2
    as I have stated previously, I am opposed to corporations and believe them to be a breach of proper capitalism. please do not equate capitalism with corporations.
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    as I have stated previously, I am opposed to corporations and believe them to be a breach of proper capitalism. please do not equate capitalism with corporations.
    Money is power. If there's no government controls, how do you prevent corporations from getting too big and powerful? Isn't mega-corps the natural consequence of unrestricted capitalism? Collusion can be more profitable than competition. I see no natural mechanism to keep them honest.

Oberon

I used to kife the occasional thing if I could rationalize it.

I gave it up... don't do that any more. I didn't like the effect it had on the people I stole from (even pens, even from work), but also I didn't like the effect it had on me.

Better to buy your own pens and sleep at night.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Morally, the situation is very complex, but it must follow by my philosophy that there are times when stealing is right. Surely there are situations when the person who steals is helped more than the person who's stolen from is hurt, particularly when a thief has few or no feasible alternatives to address a desperate situation.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

Wait... I'm confused about morally justifying stealing from corps. If you steal from a corp.. don't they usually just raise prices to offset losses? So in effect your stealing from your fellow consumers?
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Huxley3112 View Post
    Wait... I'm confused about morally justifying stealing from corps. If you steal from a corp.. don't they usually just raise prices to offset losses? So in effect your stealing from your fellow consumers?
    They can do a lot of things that make regular consumers suffer.

In theory, though, if a large enough percentage of would-be consumers steal, the corporation is fucked, and that's what I see happening with digital theft (piracy) and intellectual property. It's a losing battle. The businesses effected will have to capitulate eventually. The end result will probably be something better for consumers than what existed before. In the mean time, pirates (who are more common and normal every day) take no skin off of their backs. In a sense, but causing the corporations to respond in ways that hurts regular consumers, they are encouraging those consumers to become pirates too, thus accelerating the process.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Morally, the situation is very complex.
    No it's not. Stealing is always evil. The only mitigating factor is when doing so prevents a worse evil, such as starving.

MBTI
    INTj

It is important to distinguish between the legal and moral definition of stealing. They are not the same.