First 1234 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

It all depends on the circumstances of the situation; who is being stolen from, by who, what's being stolen, how much, why, etc. Sometimes stealing is completely fair (taxes), other times it's wrong (grand theft).

Context is needed.

I dont even consider transfers like tax theft, whether its costing me or benefiting me. As a principle I believe that theft is wrong and I've known most thieves not to be motivated by material need, immediate or figurative, or strict financial gain but a whole mix of things, some of them pretty perverse.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Like lying, stealing is a survival skill which is contextual. Are you stealing food because you're starving to death, or are you just stealing for dishonest personal gain? I am completely understanding of the former, and think the latter is unfair, to say the very least.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post
    i'd feel wrong stealing from an individual (unless they were rich) or a small business. big corporation chain stores are different though because nobody's being directly affected by it.
    Yeah, I tend to agree with this in theory, but I agreed with it in fact as a teenager, because I think these corporations steal from other people, so why not take it back from their greedy asses.

However, as an adult, I don't advocate shoplifting.

Stealing is OK if you're wearing green tights.

Or, if the product itself explicitly encourages you to steal.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKhEoytKk6U]/[/youtube]

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    Whoah, major can of worms YW!

What is theft? Acquisition without the right to property. What is right? Anything that's legally sanctioned. So what happens when a tyrannical government chooses to legislate out your individual rights so coercive acquisition of individual property becomes legally sanctioned? As examples of such, take progressive taxation or the slave trade.
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Always wrong morally, yet in certain circumstances logical and justifiable. While I generally try to stay away from giving credence to intentions and values in relation to justifying actions, I could certain see the sense in stealing in the event it is imperative toward my own survival versus stealing as to please a self-indulgent urge, that doesn't make more or less morally correct despite that.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Stigmata View Post
    Always wrong morally, yet in certain circumstances logical and justifiable. While I generally try to stay away from giving credence to intentions and values in relation to justifying actions, I could certain see the sense in stealing in the event it is imperative toward my own survival versus stealing as to please a self-indulgent urge, that doesn't make more or less morally correct despite that.
    It's interesting how your sense of morality is so absolute, which in my opinion isn't logical. There's a concept in United States law called mens rea , which essentially means the crime is judged by a person's intent. Perhaps the legal system is more Te/Fi and your thinking is Ti/Fe. Don't know.

Doesnt anyone else find the suggestion of moral equvialence between progressive taxation and slavery ridiculous or offensive?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Doesnt anyone else find the suggestion of moral equvialence between progressive taxation and slavery ridiculous or offensive?
    I find it completely ridiculous and absurd, but it's such an emotional and exaggerated statement, though, I couldn't possibly find it offensive.