User Tag List

First 12

Thread: The Hero?

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by FunnyDigestion View Post
    I think it has to be that way to be truthful because it reflects what it's like in life when you achieve something: it's awesome at first, people congratulate you etc., but then you move on, the feeling fades & you either get bored again or start to doubt the value of what you've done, so then you're looking for something new to do.
    Hmm... Yeah. It seems that stories are built up of this project idea. There is something to be done, and we watch how the character does this, do they succeed and so on. When the deed is done, the story can't go on.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

To me a hero is a brave man who like a force of nature inspire those around him and cause change.
    Whether it be Napoléon Bonaparte who spread the ideas of freedom and equality, George Washington, William Wallace, Ernesto "Che" Guevara or Florian Geyer; they all fought hard and bloody for something good.
    Those are heroes, in my mind. Many others, too. You don't have to be a famous leader to be a hero, there are everyday heroes too.
    Anyone who defend someone else for some reason, who stay true to an ideal even when they have to take up arms or violence in defense of their belief. Those that just won't bend.
    To be honest, I don't find many of those who aren't type 8's, and having grown up reading about that sort of crap it's no wonder I wanted to be an aggressive defender of ideals myself. No claims of major heroics yet, though

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    Hmm... Yeah. It seems that stories are built up of this project idea. There is something to be done, and we watch how the character does this, do they succeed and so on. When the deed is done, the story can't go on.
    yeah, i think that's why so many modern stories are based on the reluctant / anti-hero, who might start out strong, do a few things right, look like he might win for a while only to get bored or distracted or fail in some pitiful way & just stop. It's sort of the modern version of tragedy. instead of failing at huge cost, which in a way is success, you neither fail nor succeed at NO cost, which in a way is a more painful failure than dying tragically. To me it reflects how it feels to be alive a lot of the time, when so many of the struggles you face are meaningless struggles-- which you sometimes don't even bother to struggle thru.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

I wonder if it is even possible to have a story of being instead of doing and make a mainstream movie of it. In a way, the reluctant anti-hero movie is going to that direction. There's also quite a lot of existential problems in movies these days, but still it seems like people don't think a movie is a movie if it isn't concentrated on the doing. How do you end a movie without a project in it that you can either succeed or fail?