123 Last

Thread: What is art?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Default What is art?

What is art?

I don't think art can be defined by looking at a product. One guys puts up a urinal, calls it artwork, and undergrads debate about it for years. What's the point? Lame. If you've ever constructed art, you may have noticed that art follows from a state of mind (the "artistic mind"). That mind produces observable, sometimes tangible things that we collectively call art (even though artistic-byproducts might be a better label). Give an artist a paintbrush and he'll paint you a picture; a voice and he'll sing; legs and he'll dance.

Describing this state of mind is difficult and probably impossible to someone who hasn't experienced it before. When I occasionally feel it, it feel like calmness. There is a sense of gracefulness, almost as if everything around you is effortlessly and beautifully unfolding and just waiting to mingle with you. There's a sense of nostalgia or familiarity, of flowing, of reflection, and of self-acceptance. In the end, I think it's a letting go of one's own success and failures by accepting, by forgetting, by whatever.

Thoughts appreciated.

MBTI
    istp

i see art as ideas in their most fluid format of transmission. something like a dissertation presents an idea in a very rigid format, the purpose is for the idea to be interpreted in only one way. art, on the other hand, can mean a lot of different things.

i experience something similar when i am mentally stimulated by what i consider to be art... except it is largely due to my release of the necessity to find a concrete representation of whatever im experiencing and allowing the ideas that procure exist in their most raw state

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Interesting point about experiencing art via others' products. It's very rare that I can be thrown into the artistic mindset by looking at art. The closest I can get with visual art is gardens, abstract art, and occasionally fountains, but that's rare. Music can definitely put me in the mood. So can helping other people, although I would hesitate to label that in the same category as traditional art.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Art, to and for me, is any product that was manipulated by life.

So it is not a piece of shit, but it is a bower bird's bower, or a honeybee's hive.

Hell, I am inclined to even think that there is art in a piece of shit.

As cliche as this expression might be, "art is life", kinda resonates with me.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    Art, to and for me, is any product manipulated by life.
    What is life, and what isn't manipulated (influenced?) by other "life" ? Is everything art, like you were intimating? If you think of the universe as a giant organism, is it simply manipulating itself over and over?

On the other hand, you may run into a problem. If I poke a glass of milk with a stick, have I created art?

As cliche as this expression might be, "art is life", kinda resonates with me.
    Very pretty expression. What do you make of "the art of living?" Deep.
    Last edited by ThatsWhatHeSaid; 03-21-2008 at 03:16 AM. Reason: Why > What typo

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

On a strictly aesthetic level, I view life as being utterly beautiful.

The beauty inherent in nature blows me away!!!
    `

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    Why is life, and what isn't manipulated (influenced?) by other "life" ? Is everything art, like you were intimating? If you think of the universe as a giant organism, is it simply manipulating itself over and over?
    Why is life? I don't know. What isn't manipulated by life? I dunno, macrocosmic and microcosmic things, i.e. galaxies, and atoms. If you think of the universe as a giant organism, is it simply manipulating itself over and over? To me, absolutely, hell yes, I view the universe as being fractal and holographic in design/structure.

On the other hand, you may run into a problem. If I poke a glass of milk with a stick, have I created art?
    The ripples/waves you created or affected onto the milk settled in the glass can be considered art, perhaps not the most inspiring, but still. (I truly am a hippie when it comes to this subject )

Very pretty expression. What do you make of "the art of living?" Deep.
    "The art of living", I'm not too familiar with that expression, but it brings to mind Lao Tzu. The Tao Te Ching is the only "spiritual-esque" book that I've read over and over again and have respected nearly ever written word of it. It is so simple yet mind-blowingly profound.

The art of living is in letting things "flow", I think.
    `

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    The ripples/waves you created or affected onto the milk settled in the glass can be considered art, perhaps not the most inspiring, but still. (I truly am a hippie when it comes to this subject )
    I wouldn't disagree with anything you've said, because I think it would just amount to a semantical debate. I think we're talking about slightly different aspects of the same process, though. How would you describe the artistic state of mind?

"The art of living", I'm not too familiar with that expression, but it brings to mind Lao Tzu. The Tao Te Ching is the only "spiritual-esque" book that I've read over and over again and have respected nearly ever written word of it. It is so simple yet mind-blowingly profound.

The art of living is in letting things "flow", I think.
    Art of Living Love the Tao, btw. Crazy-dense.

What I'm trying to do with this thread is show how the artistic state of mind is the same as the meditative state of mind, which is the same as the feeling of love.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

LOL, you're going to think I'm horrible, but I don't like the Dalai Llama (sp?), it's something about his mass appeal, and his face, and his glasses, I just sort of think he's a phony, I haven't even given him a chance, what does he do with the money he makes off his books???

*Please don't throw rocks at me, I'm just being honest.

Lao Tzu was a humble man, historians barely know anything about him, I dunno, that's very consistent with his "teachings", and I respect that.
    `

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I think he's a gentle man who tries hard to REALLY get involved and help people out. He's done some amazing things in his life and has really given himself up. A clerk I know met him once. He reached out to shake Mr. Lama's hand, which is bad form, since Lamas bow. The Dalai Lama tickled him in the stomach instead of embarrassing him.