Socionics
    ILI

action
    Vanitas vanitatum omnia vanitas

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Action without thought? In other words, pure action?

I have some Zen stories to share that would support that interpretation. (So say yes, ...or else!!!)

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

Grace... dancing on with a smile though your feet, back, arms are in pain after days and hours of practice and the heart is aching badly...

Sunlight on a quiet street corner.

Waves lipping the shore in the blue hour before sunset.

A state of being.

Forgiveness.

Arcesso pulli gingerios! Eldanen's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTp

Grace is a state of mind that results in certain kinds of action. I imagine these states of mind as moods, atmospheres, winds, qualities of water surrounding a person.

MBTI
    IS??
    Socionics
    InFj

For me, Grace is a period of time when we are freed from burdens and expectations...a window (opened by who or what, I do not know) through which we are able to achieve states of mental clarity or physical ability that for us are transcendent...Grace is a temporary reprieve from our normal experience of life? very much like the description of "flow" that you offered. I imagine some philosophies are dedicated to a pursuit of this as a constant state of being.
    Patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings...Steal a little and they throw you in jail, steal a lot and they make you a king

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Eldanen View Post
    Grace is a state of mind that results in certain kinds of action. I imagine these states of mind as moods, atmospheres, winds, qualities of water surrounding a person.
    I'd argue that grace can be inaction too, standing merely reflecting upon the notion of reality can be graceful in itself. There is no need for us active whilst listening to a piece of music, in fact many of the times when we switch off to it, it becomes more poignient. My identification of grace consists more of how we "choose" to look at the world, if you want something to become insignificant it will be so, and so forth. Driving to work is graceful for me, because I choose to give it that label.

(God, I think I've had one too many happy pills tonight )
    Good Dog Nigel

Arf, arf, he goes, a merry sight,
    Our little hairy friend,
    Arf, arf, upon the lampost bright
    Arfing round the bend.
    Nice dog! Goo boy,
    Waggie tail and beg,
    Clever Nigel, jump for joy
    Because we're putting you to sleep at three of the clock, Nigel. -John Lennon

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFj

Smile

I read this thread today. I'm late, but I haven't been here long.

To me the answer to the question "What is art?" is that it is a form of communication between the artist and the consumer. "What is grace?" gets a similar off the top answer of divine gift or favor, which I think certainly comes into play in the creation of an artist. Grace is also an action, which is ease of motion and suppleness of movement. Any other meaning of the word grace I could wax poetic about, given my imagination, but I wouldn't be being intellectually honest.

It seems to me the the main question being asked here is "What is the state of mind of the artist when creating art?" I can only answer for myself that it requires a certain seriousness about what I am planning/doing. I need a certain solitude or feeling of oneness with who I am with to be able to concentrate, focus on my project. I have to set an alarm clock if I am alone so that I can quit in time to start supper or whatever. Sometimes I feel the calmness that has been described, but sometimes there is effort involved, it doesn't always just flow along by itself by any means. I'm very aware of the fact at all times that I am communicating--but strangely enough some elements of that just come into the canvas without me orchestrating them--I guess it's that crazy Ni. That's as close as I can come to describing it.