User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: What is art?

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

You're an artist, no? Oh, and what kind?

So am I. (I feel kinda cheap admitting that for some reason)

I wouldn't be able to explain "the artistic state of mind", does such a thing even exist?
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    I think he's a gentle man who tries hard to REALLY get involved and help people out. He's done some amazing things in his life and has really given himself up. A clerk I know met him once. He reached out to shake Mr. Lama's hand, which is bad form, since Lamas bow. The Dalai Lama tickled him in the stomach instead of embarrassing him.
    That's a cute story, honestly, but...

What does he do with all the money he gets from his books, where does he live? Is he married, does he have sex/kids?
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

What is art?

Art is what you make of it. I suppose there's two parts... one is the frame of mind the creator of the piece is in... the outcome as you said is art. The other is from the observer of the piece of "art". As long as the observer perceived that it's art... then that's what it is... art.

Art doesn't need to be created specifically for that purpose to be called art. An accidental arrangement of something that, to the observer, represents something and is meaningful... is art. All in the eyes of the beholder.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    You're an artist, no? Oh, and what kind?
    Eh. By my definition, I do get into the artsy frame of mind now and then. It happens sometimes when I write music.

I wouldn't be able to explain "the artistic state of mind", does such a thing even exist?
    That's what I'm trying to get at. I think it does, and I think it's the best way to communicate what art is. Describing it is harder. How does one describe a Zen mind without getting stuck in words and boundaries?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    That's a cute story, honestly, but...

What does he do with all the money he gets from his books, where does he live? Is he married, does he have sex/kids?
    I imagine he uses the money to procure prostitutes.

Really, I'll bet he lives very modestly and gives the money he gets from sales to maintaining temples. He's not married. Monks don't marry.

MBTI
    type

from the perspective of the artist:

art is the distillation of life.

Be it a mass, an emotion, or a singular moment. The purest expression possible of that particular subject/object.

from the perspective of the audience:

art is what resonates, and leads to a certain light in the viewer. that you see it, and it stirs something in you. A new view, a new way of seeing something old, or a new vision.

edahn is an artist?

edit: for me, the artistic state of mind is one of extreme sensitivity and receptivity; that is inspiration. Then is sensitivity and actualisation: where the art itself guides the hand of the artist. That is creation; the closest articulation of the vision within.
    You gave me hyacinths first a year ago;
    They called me the hyacinth girl.
    Yet when we came back, late, from the Hyacinth garden,
    Your arms full, and your hair wet, I could not
    Speak, and my eyes failed, I was neither
    Living nor dead, and I knew nothing,
    Looking into the heart of light, the silence.

--T.S Eliot, The Wasteland

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

Its just another thing that everyone has become so everyone will have their opinion/definition as it applies to themselves. As it pertains to my own field, I view it philosophically since it has often been addressed by philosophers.. and like this one particularly well.

"Arthur Danto, professor of philosophy at Columbia University ..., believes that today "you can't say something's art or not art anymore. That's all finished." In his book, After the End of Art, Danto argues that after Andy Warhol exhibited simulacra of shipping cartons for Brillo boxes in 1964, anything could be art. Warhol made it no longer possible to distinguish something that is art from something that is not."

So, I'm left with... if it sells, it must be. For me, its a business. That is the only thing setting me apart from the "everyone" in artistry.

MBTI
    INFP

I think it has something to do with Si being my fourth function, but when I make art... I feel complete. I feel like I a need of mine is being met that is so subconscious that I barely tend to it. I feel relaxed.. centered.. focused on an abstract idea.. and my feelings take the wheel and direct the art out of my hands. Art is an activity, to me, not an object.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

This is my definition of art:

Art is the attempt of one party to stimulate thoughts or feelings in another party by means other than direct, interpersonal, one-on-one communication.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    This is my definition of art:

Art is the attempt of one party to stimulate thoughts or feelings in another party by means other than direct, interpersonal, one-on-one communication.
    That would work except I'm not thinking of communicating to a potential viewer when I conceive what I paint. I'm "receiving" from a "place" and "recording" it on canvas. When I see what "arrived," it does communicate something to me though. This is, of course, unless I'm doing a connsignment piece with particular requirements.

MBTI
    IS??
    Socionics
    InFj

A few days a week I have the privlidge of inter-acting with college students engaged in their 3D art/design requirements. I've been able to observe how a variety of aspiring "artists" respond to assigments as well as their own personal work. In this situation art is not a (usually) spontaneous event but a result of required effort, study and focus. The results, as you can imagine vary.

Our perception of Art is of course, completely subjective. There is, as observed by CC, ample beauty and interest provided by the natural environment. I would not define naturally occuring phoenomena as "art" though it has undoubtably inspired a great deal of our art. All we do occurs within the natural environment and will return to it in time. So is Art the effect of the natural forces acting on our receptive bodily instruments?

Perhaps art could be defined as a deliberate composition of matter, space or time in order to satisfy an impulse (indefinable need?) or material need? It need not be intended as communicative, though it is certainly capable of doing that by our observation of it...and our observation of it can change it, it is malleable.

Objects, sounds or activities that humans have created for survival frequently end up ornamented. Now let us take a knife; where the form follows the function. This is craftsmanship? The careful use of materials to produce a functional object...When does it turn into artisanship? when the maximally effective tool become an extension of the owner by personal ornament? and when practical function becomes irrelavent as in ceramonial use are they then a more "pure" art form? Is all art essentially ornament, in that it is not absolutely needed for survival, but the needs of survival sometimes create aesthetically interesting results?

This puts me in mind of the Bower Bird, that carefully constructs and decorates a nest to attract a mate. This bird brain is somehow driven to this creative endeavor that will be judged by a variety of females. Now this activity is certainly driven by survival...and the winning male is chosen by his ability to attract a mate through random or deliberate arrangement of elements within space. Is this art?

Good thread..this can go on and on I imagine. Kind of like me.
    Patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings...Steal a little and they throw you in jail, steal a lot and they make you a king