User Tag List

123 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Default How old do you think the world is and are we the first evolved civilisation?

I'm reading about some truly awesome strange archeology which defies scientific explanation, the explanations which do exist are more like fantasy, suggesting that the world is unimaginably old and perhaps we are not the first evolved civilisation but only the latest and prior civilisations or species of human like ancestors wiped themselves out with war or some series of cataclysms.

Some of the weirdest ideas which I'm not sure about but which would be cool if they were for real:-

- Laylines and magnetic poles are an unexplained energy and power network, possibly used for travel or transmission of power

- Unexplained phenomenon like the bermuda triangle or dragons triangle are ancient and broken "natural" weaponology or machinery which have been triggered and become active because something about modern aviation or flight have tripped them once more

- That sea monsters did exist as told in the ancient mariners fables but they were hallucinations triggered by similar "natural" weapons and only fail to effect people as they once did because of cultural and psychological changes (or maybe their "batteries" ran out?)

Also, I want to say, that guy Tesla, what. the. hell. man if even half of what he was dreaming up could become a reality.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Some of the weirdest ideas which I'm not sure about but which would be cool if they were for real:-

- Laylines and magnetic poles are an unexplained energy and power network, possibly used for travel or transmission of power

- Unexplained phenomenon like the bermuda triangle or dragons triangle are ancient and broken "natural" weaponology or machinery which have been triggered and become active because something about modern aviation or flight have tripped them once more
    So far, I'm not seeing any credible evidence in your post as to why we should consider these ideas worth exploring. Got any refs that were important to you in terms of making these seem like true possibilities to you?

I read alot about the Bermuda Triangle when younger (I was a big fan of "In Search of" and "Project Blue Book" at the time too). Right now, any evidence just seems pretty vague and/or muddled... nothing really testable.

I am kind of boggled by the Pyramids, though; and other large construction projects of pre-modern tech eras, that I have trouble understanding how they could have been built, just due to their sheer enormity... and with different pyramids how they were aligned with various astronomical phenomena. Just amazing.

Or the desert imagery described by von Däniken in "Chariots of the Gods"... drawn on such a large scale without anyone seemingly being able to float above them and guide their construction. Again, mind-boggling.

Also, I want to say, that guy Tesla, what. the. hell. man if even half of what he was dreaming up could become a reality.
    It was too bad he didn't have a better publicist. Edison ended up kicking his butt because of that.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP

Civilization is not unique to primates

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

There have been many civilized societies in history, some well known like anceint Greece, other which probably remain unkonw in the vast river of history. From what I have learned of society in general, it seems that naturally when a population grows so does the state that embodies it. This phenomenon can occur with any group of developing people over time, but the structure of the society can also collapse. However newer societies will emerge in new palces at different times as well.

Also it's important to consider the morals and laws that make up a society. Many practices from other regions of the world may seem barbaric to us; ethnocentricity can influence our perception of what it means to be civilized. Thus even though accustmed moral of our seem ok, in reality they too could be offensive and evil

So no, I would not say that we are the first civilized society, not by a long shot.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    So far, I'm not seeing any credible evidence in your post as to why we should consider these ideas worth exploring. Got any refs that were important to you in terms of making these seem like true possibilities to you?
    No, I dont have any refs.

We are the first civilization to create univeral literacy through a legally compulsory school system - a system described as 'free, secular and compulsory'.

Univeral literacy has created a counter-intuitive way of thinking which we see reflected in science, politics, economics and art.

And modern science, politics and economics have overcome scarcity for the first time in human history.

And even more important our civilization is growing exponentially and will quite soon reach its singularity.

No one knows quite what the singularity may be. We may even pass through it unnoticed.

But in the meantime we drive forward looking in the rear vision mirror, entranced by the road unfolding behind us.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

It's a nice question to ask and an intresting topic. If you watch that B-documentary 10,000 years after mankind, you figure actually mankinds remains are pretty fast vanished and nothing points to our existance of this planet anymore. So I think it's definitly possible that another sort of mankind lived here. Maybe it was the antkind that lived here before .

What I find intresting too is the story of Mars. Obviously nowadays the rotation of mass was slowed down and got adapted to the planets revolution around the sun. That means that while the planet revolves around the sun its always the same side of the planet facing the sun. That of course makes life impossible cause you have like daylight on one half all year and night on the other half. There's a theory that says this wasnt always so and some billion years ago, Mars actually looked like a second Earth or maybe was similiar in the farthest possibility. This could mean there was life aswell.

I liked the show Odyssey 5 in which they had the idea that some sort of sentient lifeform evolved on Mars, which destroyed the Earth. The show started with the destruction of Earth and the show's main actors were brought back in time from the future. Great concept, sadly it got fired after the first season -.- So god damn sad
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

This talk about how old do you think the world is reminded me of.

[youtube="ilzuHdlKHPw"]Are We There Yet[/youtube]

Much like a whirlpool.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

sorta related..i watched this the other day. it was pretty interesting.
    http://video.pbs.org/video/1051895972/
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Anew Leaf

I think that we get so caught up in our current technology that it blinds us to what can be done without it sometimes.

I saw a show on how it was "obvious" that aliens came to earth because how else can you explain so many societies with giant pyramids, and that they align with the stars in Orion's Belt. Ignoring the actual obvious of "gee a pyramid is the simplest 3-D shape to make" and "the Belt contains 3 of the brightest stars in the sky neatly lined up."