First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    Do you believe in the dualist philosophy of the mind?
    This definition, yes:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dualism...osophy_of_mind)
    In philosophy of mind, dualism is a set of views about the relationship between mind and matter, which begins with the claim that mental phenomena are, in some respects, non-physical.

Though I often wonder where exactly the divide is. What part of our consciousness is the brain, and what part is the soul or spirit?
    It seems the receptors of all data from the physical world are from the brain, but certain interpretive capabilities are non-physical. Like the ability to receive light of different wavelengths and process them as somehow different is from the brain. But the reason why w see these differences as what we call "color", and why they "look" the way they do seems like something beyond the brain. That would seem, to be the soul.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huxley3112 View Post
    Existing for eternity is not a difficult idea for me to grasp. It is much more difficult for me to comprehend NOT existing, in any way, shape, or form.. consciously.
    Me too!
    Especially making the actual move across. One second you're here, possibly seeing it coming, and then, nothing. Our minds usually repeat events that just happened as they sink in (after images, mental reverberation, etc). But now it can't even do that.
    When I first heard the notion of annihilation (from the sabbatarian groups), it initially sounded even worse than the traditional Hell!
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I doubt it, the curse of eternity idea which people have described in this thread IS hell, while the eternity as a blessing idea IS heaven, it will be either as a consequence of what you do in life.
    It could be. Or Heaven and Hell could be the same thing, the difference being based on your state of mind.
    And to me, that state of mind is not merely dependent on the formal acceptance of a God. Too many people who claim to be religious are obviously still searching for some kind of restful state of mind.
    Last edited by Octarine; 04-11-2011 at 09:55 AM. Reason: speilling

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

curse

There is the literal interpretation of eternity and the mytho-poetic interpretation -

To see a world in a grain of sand,
    And a heaven in a wild flower,
    Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
    And eternity in an hour.

Which do you prefer?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by guesswho View Post
    Time is not eternal, life can only exist inside time, therefor, life is not eternal.
    this.

i wonder if after death we're not constricted to the timespace we are currently.

there are just so many possibilities. it strikes me as funny that we tend to think either linear afterlife or just a full stop are the options. there are so many other options.

Quote Originally Posted by Huxley3112 View Post
    Existing for eternity is not a difficult idea for me to grasp. It is much more difficult for me to comprehend NOT existing, in any way, shape, or form.. consciously.
    same here.

i'm down with existing for eternity. i can't picture it ever getting boring if there are no boundaries. the reason humans get bored is because we run into restrictions. our energy is restricted, thoughts are limited, space travel is limited, etc... if everything were to suddenly open up... hello bliss.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    There is the literal interpretation of eternity and the mytho-poetic interpretation -

And eternity in an hour.

Which do you prefer?
    I like this one.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Architectonic View Post
    It could be. Or Heaven and Hell could be the same thing, the difference bieng based on your state of mind.
    And to me, that state of mind is not merely dependent on the formal acceptance of a God. Too many people who claim to be religious are obviously still searching for some kind of restful state of mind.
    I agree with you on both counts, I did not mean by what you do in life in terms of deeds or merit but how prepared you are for eternity, there's a lot in things such as the Tibetan Book Of The Dead, in so far as they orient people to that restful state of mind.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    And eternity in an hour.

Permabanned

In my ideal world...you could go between life and death at will.

Imagine experiencing death without having to worry about if you will like it or not..because if you don't you can always just be alive. I'd do it for fun..lol
    I have no idea what science is doing...but this to me should be not only a priority but the only priority. I have no idea why people just accept death. Who wants to die?

If humans didn't have to die...I'd definitely find a way to get a spaceship and just go see the universe. There must be a limit...an edge...or something. Damn..just thinking about this makes me sad...who the hell is working on that whole death thing?

I'd spend my time travelling the universe. I'd throw things in black holes. I'd look for life. I'd look for interesting new substances. I'd do everything I could think of..if I couldn't die.

I really hope someone solves the whole death thing before I die. If I ever get rich enough I'm donating all my money biogerontology/cryogenics/cyborgism.

This is one of the reasons I don't like religion. Religion has people looking forward to an afterlife that may or may not exist....yet we know (or at least we perceive ourselves to know) that this reality does exist. Why not try to make this an eternal heaven?

arghh...humans frustrate me...

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    I like this one.
    Eternity now, eternity now - demand eternity now! Let us throw off our quotdian lives, let us throw off our very thoughts, let time itself slip away leaving us in eternity together forever.