User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

If the afterlife is a timeless existence, then conscienceness would not exist(assuming conscienceness is a temporal process caused by the brain), to me it's the same as being "dead", a person would not perceive anything. Well any ways I think it would be interesting for the first couple of hundred years, by thousands of years the psyche might begin to suffer, millions of years a person might go completely insane and spend all their time looking and thinking of ways to off themselves.
    Reserved Calm Unstructured Egocentric Inquisitive Clown

Johari Nohari

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Robopop View Post
    If the afterlife is a timeless existence, then conscienceness would not exist(assuming conscienceness is a temporal process caused by the brain), to me it's the same as being "dead", a person would not perceive anything. Well any ways I think it would be interesting for the first couple of hundred years, by thousands of years the psyche might begin to suffer, millions of years a person might go completely insane and spend all their time looking and thinking of ways to off themselves.
    This makes me think about some of the oriental ghost stories that I know about which describe hauntings and malevolent spirits as the "insane" or "mad" dead.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Robopop View Post
    Obviously, we wouldn't be bound to a brain anymore (which is the physical organ that draws data in from the physical world of spacetime). So even the whole notion of "perception" would be different.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Thisica View Post
    But eternity? Not so much. Not only is it beyond the human imagination, it also comes into direct conflict with reality.
    Exactly. What is eternity?

It's easy to use the word, and to create some abstract image of something that doesn't end...but. What is that never ending thing? How does it work? How can you measure it's eternity since it will take you an eternity of measuring to reach the conclusion that it's eternal. And we're not eternal. But we aspire to be part of eternal things of which we don't know anything about. We aspire to unity, after death, but what's the guarantee of that unity?

Also, an eternal life, is impossible. Time is not eternal, life can only exist inside time, therefor, life is not eternal. Suns die giving birth to other suns, planets and stuff, they recycle themselves. And when they recycle themselves, throughout time, new chemical elements will appear.

Which is fascinating.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

It makes me feel good about this life when I contrast it with eternity, however bad this one is, however bad memories you may have eventually it'll all not matter. Etermity is a long time.

Ginkgo

The only way I can visualize eternity is through a cycle. Living like that would eventually grow to be like Bill Murray's "Groundhog Day". I'd get sick of it, probably improve myself to find the highest plateau of potential, explore the options, then I would want to rest for good.

According to the Kübler-Ross Model, people occupy some stage of grief when contemplating death. The healthiest form, imo., is acceptance. I've known a few people who have trouble even getting to the depression stage, and will bargain and fight ceaselessly for something they're attached to. If you ask me, a large clump of people practicing the Judeo-Christian tradition fixate of bargaining for eternal life, and will base their whole ethical framework on it. There are also a few people who find solace in the same way by "giving it all to God".

I doubt very many people who believe in the after life the way the Bible describes it have wondered what they'll do after they get there, and whether they'll be content that way. If there is a heaven with eternal bliss, would bliss fade without agony to hold its hand? If there is a hell, would we grow callous to the agony? Sounds like someone is trying to pull someone's leg.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    Obviously, we wouldn't be bound to a brain anymore (which is the physical organ that draws data in from the physical world of spacetime). So even the whole notion of "perception" would be different.
    Do you believe in the dualist philosophy of the mind?

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    The only way I can visualize eternity is through a cycle. Living like that would eventually grow to be like Bill Murray's "Groundhog Day". I'd get sick of it, probably improve myself to find the highest plateau of potential, explore the options, then I would want to rest for good.

According to the Kübler-Ross Model, people occupy some stage of grief when contemplating death. The healthiest form, imo., is acceptance. I've known a few people who have trouble even getting to the depression stage, and will bargain and fight ceaselessly for something they're attached to. If you ask me, a large clump of people practicing the Judeo-Christian tradition fixate of bargaining for eternal life, and will base their whole ethical framework on it. There are also a few people who find solace in the same way by "giving it all to God".

I doubt very many people who believe in the after life the way the Bible describes it have wondered what they'll do after they get there, and whether they'll be content that way. If there is a heaven with eternal bliss, would bliss fade without agony to hold its hand? If there is a hell, would we grow callous to the agony? Sounds like someone is trying to pull someone's leg.
    I doubt it, the curse of eternity idea which people have described in this thread IS hell, while the eternity as a blessing idea IS heaven, it will be either as a consequence of what you do in life.

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    That's why I liked string theory, which posits (or at least used to posit) a "primeval realm" strings (as themselves, "shards of spacetime) are embedded in that is not space, and has a totally different kind of geometry to it.
    Me too!
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

Existing for eternity is not a difficult idea for me to grasp. It is much more difficult for me to comprehend NOT existing, in any way, shape, or form.. consciously.

I also believe that in the next 100 yrs, science will find a way to measure consciousness outside memory/brain.
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts