User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    My answer is quite childish, actually.

Injustice to me is when bad things happen to good people.
    I'm gonna have to agree.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I tried to post this all afternoon but the stupid site wouldn't load a page in less than 10 minutes (no exaggeration) Good thing I saved it....

Ok, now my midterm's over I'll expand on my answer a bit.

The definition there doesn't seem to exclude non-human sources of injustice, actually, although it doesn't mention them.

I'm really having a hard time defining injustice, because it isn't something I really think through but rather a sense that comes to me instantly. If I had to define injustice in my own words, I would say that it's when a person gets treated differently from what is the norm, singled out for an arbitrary reason, is mistreated without sufficient cause. That is really not exact but it's the best I can come up with.

I think 'natural acts' are unfair. Unjust to me does imply some sort of ruling process though. Things like social class, or race, or whatever, aren't inherently unjust, but being discriminated on the basis of it is. See?

Again though I admit that it's a subjective judgment, a feeling that comes just from seein g the situation, so I have a hard time defining/arguing it logically.

I think everyone should fight injustice if they are able, but I don't unless it is at relatively little cost to myself, because I'm selfish. It's also more common for me (and probably everyone, really) to 'fight injustice' if it's on behalf of someone I like or admire rather than a stranger.

I'm more likely to speak up than to actually act on something. Mostly that's because at my age I really have no power to change much, though. Ask me in a decade or so

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

So so so very long Maverick! For that I'm going to give you more positive rep.

*will go answer questions*

Questions:

1. What is your type?
    INFj

2. Do you agree with the M-W definition of injustice? Would you put in events not resulting from human action or lack of action? What else?
    Kind of agree... I would say we feel something is injustice if it violates our own person values (Fs) / judgment (Ts).

3. For each of the following examples, indicate if the outcome was fair or unfair and argue your stance:

Situation 1: Injustice. Abuse of power. Teachers should try to "teach" moral values to the students. But I think that should be done through modeling, or by having a little talk with the student rather than to punish them using something else as an excuse.

Situation 2: Not injustice. You're in a company... reward given for good work. Yes, loyalty is important... but skill keeps the boat afloat much better than loyalty does. It only make sense to put the most capable person on the helm of the ship.

Situation 3: Injustice. Same as in situation 1. Abuse of power. Rules have changed... you learn to deal with it. What does firing the person do? Temporary relieve of your temper? Doesn't help the project any.

Situation 4: Two people messing up... it's still injustice, but this one is less one-sided than the previous ones in my opinion. Temper temper... maybe it was an honest mistake... maybe it wasn't. But to wreck his car is an inappropriate response. Therefore not fair.

Situation 5: Injustice. PhD thesis is based on your work... not your demeanor nor how you interact with other people. His inability to get along with people will catch up to him on other things...

3. For which stance do you exhibit a "preference" in your own life: Fight injustice and attempt to change your environment, or accept the reality of human affairs and go along with the state of things? Regardless of what you think people, groups, authorities should do, what do you actually do in your daily life? Why? Provide an argument as to why this stance is more viable to you than the other one. If your definition of justice is different than the one I proposed, explain your stance for both definitions.
    Sometimes I stick my head into places that I don't belong. How often? infrequently. Normally I take the peace keeper role and try to smooth things out rather than directly fight it. So no, I'm not particularly brave. It is only if the underdog gets beaten up too badly and there's nobody to defend them that I step in.

2. If you choose to accept reality: Would you consider yourself a particularly reasoned person? Someone realistic? Do you think this could partly explain your behavior?
    Sometimes I'm reasonable and realistic. I think I put more value on myself than on the "victim" though... going along with the flow is usually less stressful and so I take that path.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

1. My type is INFJ.

2. I consider the definition sufficient.

Situation 1: Mr. Freeze was unjust towards the arrogant, flippant student.

Situation 2: The promotion of the new worker was based on better performance, no injustice occurred. This is an example of jealousy, not injustice.

Situation 3: Alan was treated unjustly by Peter. Peter's sense of entitlement for them to work longer came from vengeance, not justice.

Situation 4: Linda treated Patrick unjustly. Linda's sense of entitlement is again from vengeance, not justice.

Situation 5: Tom was treated unjustly. His work was good, therefore he should have advanced. What others were capable of and whether he was "having it easy" was irrelevant. Once again, this was possibly acting out of vengeance/tradition rather than justice.

4. I usually try to fight injustice if I believe that I will not incur any significant personal cost or stigma for doing so. If I am concerned, I grudgingly tolerate it, but then try to get away from the situation. I behave this way because it has the best chance of creating a positive outcome with few risks.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I had the most difficulty with assigning "fairness" in situation 3, did anyone else experience this too?
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    ENTJ

I had the most difficulty with assigning "fairness" in situation 3, did anyone else experience this too?
    I also think that is the most difficult, but only because the details of the "past mistake" were not divulged. If the past mistake was something that had not yet been resolved, and at the time Alan's employability was in question over that mistake, then the outcome was fair. Peter's reasons were unfair, but the outcome would be fair if he had already had current reason to fire Alan, and just made his final decision at that moment due to Alan's temporary uselessness.
    It was probably unfair, though, since I think the past mistake part was not meant to be a crucial plot detail.

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

I had trouble with that one too but the "womanizer" one was worse for me.

I think, since I would have just stayed and worked because it was needed, I have this serious work ethic and hubby is in that same situation so much, it was hard. What swung it for me was company policy and knowing that, in that field, the reason for it had to do with safety issues. Job sites are dangerous places with heavy equipment, etc. so working too many hours.. fatigue.. is bad. Then I hit the last sentence where he was fired for another issue and that clinched. I would, in fact, take them to court and fight it.

And I'll go on LOL... the boss was just covering his a$$. This happens every day on these jobs. Alan didn't get fired for the undefined issue before because he was needed on the job. When the boss needed him to work too long, it was because the boss hadn't previously done his job efficiently. Okay... alot to read into it... but I'm familiar with it... happens all the time a hubby's job.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Seanan View Post
    I had trouble with that one too but the "womanizer" one was worse for me.

I think, since I would have just stayed and worked because it was needed, I have this serious work ethic and hubby is in that same situation so much, it was hard. What swung it for me was company policy and knowing that, in that field, the reason for it had to do with safety issues. Job sites are dangerous places with heavy equipment, etc. so working too many hours.. fatigue.. is bad. Then I hit the last sentence where he was fired for another issue and that clinched. I would, in fact, take them to court and fight it.

And I'll go on LOL... the boss was just covering his a$$. This happens every day on these jobs. Alan didn't get fired for the undefined issue before because he was needed on the job. When the boss needed him to work too long, it was because the boss hadn't previously done his job efficiently. Okay... alot to read into it... but I'm familiar with it... happens all the time a hubby's job.
    Yeah, I get what you're saying; being an INTJ, I was overanalyzing all the little details of the description. I suppose the past mistake was not really meant to matter.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Great answers.

It seems like we all seem to agree on whether the outcomes were fair/unfair on these first set of examples.

I will be bringing a second set of examples later with ambivalent scenarios. I will present the "two sides of the story" instead of the "narrator" version.

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

Bring em on Maverick... this is fun... I appreciate your efforts.