• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Transcending Myers and Briggs

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Strange, you are quite strange.

I can't really tell if you are joking or not, are you?

and what's a "splincter"?

Mole

Permabanned
A Surprise Party

Strange, you are quite strange.

I can't really tell if you are joking or not, are you?

You know, there is that moment - when a story, a poem or a movie becomes completely real and we forget it is a work of art. And there is that moment between seriousness and laughter when we no longer know, we know longer know, what it is.

It is that moment of complete deliciousness when we forget who we are - when the possibility exists of almost anything but turns out to be our true self.

We flee from ourselves for a moment - and turning a corner - find no one but our truest and dearest self - what a surprise!

For that brief moment, life becomes a surprise party.

Victor.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
I might mention that the MBTI has the same truth value as Astrology but when they ask my star sign, I know they are trying to pick me up.

Victor.

This opinion is almost invariably held by those who've not studied type-theory in depth, and those who have carefully examined both see the enormous canyon between the two.

You haven't put a lot of care in learning the essence of type-theory have you?

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
So wait... you find MBTI unreliable yet you havn't studied it? :huh:

I'm sorry, Victor, but this whole thread is absurd. I was releived to see you lighten up and to see everyone kind of come together at the end here, because it felt like there was a lot of tension. I was actually kind of worried... you seemed bitter and full of contempt, or as Captain Chick said, misanthropic, although you are now showing a brighter side of you, which is nice to see.

So about transcending MBTI. MBTI is basic when compared to true human personality and spirit. It is the difference between a fuzzy old black and white photograph and the clear vision of the human eye. I don't think anyone believes it is absolute in any sense, but just theory, just a tool to discuss the people around us and ourselves. Using the functions, Se, Si, Fe, Fi, Te, Ti, Ne, Ni, we can explain all kinds of thinking and behaviour and get to know and understand and communicate better. I don't think anyone here believes it is at all perfect or without flaw or even close to that, but that it is a tool. Therefor, it is easily and naturally transcended in every thought of every moment.

Five bucks says Victor ends up being an INFP :yes:

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm putting my money on IN_J.

The type of opinion he's expressed doesn't seem to have a personal or rational twist.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Strange things about this thread:

• Not-so-subtle overtones of paranoia
  • "Debunking" MBTI and then asking for a consultant
  • INXJ humor
  • Signing your name to ever post
  • Nazi references

Mole

Permabanned
Teenagers and Socrates

I'm sorry, Victor, but this whole thread is absurd. I was releived to see you lighten up and to see everyone kind of come together at the end here, because it felt like there was a lot of tension. I was actually kind of worried... you seemed bitter and full of contempt, or as Captain Chick said, misanthropic, although you are now showing a brighter side of you, which is nice to see.

Consider the structure of the thread.

Just as there is no release without tension, there is no courage without fear and no monsoon without the build up.

So in the beginning there is maximum tension in this thread between the believers in MBTI and Astrology and the non-believer - the infidel.

And the important point of the tension is not that it will be released in humour, but that we don't know what will happen.

Let me say that again - so that we don't know what will happen.

This is the pregnant dramatic moment.

This is the magic moment when anything can happen.

It took Socrates a lifetime to realise he didn't know but we can only realise it for a moment.

Not knowing is the spark of learning - we can't learn anything if we already know.

And while Socrates finally knew he didn't know, teenagers know everything.

So there is a maximum tension between teenagers and Socrates.

And so maximum possibilities.

So, you see, I have done my best to seduce you away from MBTI so that you will fall in love with Socrates.

Of course I am only human so I hope you will fall in love with me too but I will settle for your attention.

Victor.

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
Yeah, Ni dominant - INXJ probably.

As you see on my profile, I don't have an MBTI yet and as I know next to nothing about it, I am looking for an MBTI Consultant.

I want someone who will closely study my personality and assign me my proper place.

I am looking for someone with a sense of humour and a kindly disposition.

Someone who will guide me through the pitfalls and someone who might point me in the direction of someone compatible.

Can you, will you, introduce me to an excellent MBTI Consultant?

Victor.

You got unsubtle here, Victor. lol :)

Consider the structure of the thread.

Just as there is no release without tension, there is no courage without fear and no monsoon without the build up.

So in the beginning there is maximum tension in this thread between the believers in MBTI and Astrology and the non-believer - the infidel.

Aww. You spoiled it. It was way fun up to here. :)

Anyways, hi Victor. :hi:

Mole

Permabanned
Enchantment and Analysis

Yeah, Ni dominant - INXJ probably.

You got unsubtle here, Victor. lol :)

Aww. You spoiled it. It was way fun up to here. :)

Anyways, hi Victor. :hi:

Hi Bluebell,

Yes, it is a fine line and I did just for a moment tip unsubtley.

I am sorry I spoiled it for you.

And again it is a fine line between telling the story and explaining how the story is told.

The story depends on illusion and the explaination depends on disillusion.

But if I may console you, dear Bluebell, illusion and disillusion follow each other in a circle. So although I have managed sadly to disillusion you at the moment, the circle is coming round again.

So I trust you are better prepared this time to be entranced and enchanted by me, knowing that it will inevitably be followed by disenchantment.

And as you follow me through enchantment and disenchantment, you will start to pick up the rhythm. And before long, you will be dancing yourself.

And most important, you will start to lead me. You will enchant and entrance me and then disenchant me with an analysis - an explaination.

I must confess I love both. I love enchantment and analysis. I hope you do too.

Then we can enchant and analyse one another to our heart's content.

Victor.

Mole

Permabanned
My Favourite Colour and Yours

What's your favorite color?

Mine is purple.

My favourite colour is red/orange.

But the colour that suits my complexion is pink.

And the colour that brings out the colour of my hair is purple.

I don't know what to make of all this.

Does it tell me anything about my personality type or yours?

Victor.

Mole

Permabanned
Your Greatest Weakness

No.

Whats your favorite shape?

Mine is a sphere.

I rather like making domes.

I made a rather large dome on a wharf out of oyster lease sticks without connectors. And I have a dome in my back yard.

I like reading about domes and imagining where I could live in one.

I did though once imagine a dome and triangular structure.

So what is your favourite book and your favourite gun?

Do you like dressing formally or casually?

Do you like picnics and dinner parties?

Do you like dogs or cats?

Sunshine or rain?

What is your greatest weakness?

V.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Connecting the dots

So what is your favourite book and your favourite gun?

My favorite book, that's incredibly difficult for me to answer, but my favorite play is Hamlet, my favorite gun, I dunno, aesthetically speaking I like the look of many Taurus handguns, but I like shooting with a .22 rifle.

Do you like dressing formally or casually?

Day to day I dress casually, but I think it is very fun to dress up "formally" as well.

Do you like picnics and dinner parties?

Yes, I love both!!!!

Do you like dogs or cats?

I like both, but I much prefer dogs.

Sunshine or rain?

I prefer sunshine

What is your greatest weakness?

Procrastination, lack of focus/purpose

Mole

Permabanned
French Film Festival

I would love to continue chatting but I am off to the French Film Fesival presided over by Catherine Deneuve, the French Film star.

There will be French people everywhere including the French Ambassador and his chic wife. At interval we drink white wine and after the movie, we go to the nightclub, "Minque", next door.

Tonight I am going to see, "The Secret", set in Paris. Wish me luck.

Oh yes, who do you identify with in Hamlet?

Victoire.

Soph11287

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
?
Is it possible or desirable to transcend MBTI ?

It is not desirable to transcend MBTI because MBTI is a form of social control.

We are born without control of even our splincter and we learn control slowly and painfully over the next 22 years, at which age our brains are fully developed.

So MBTI is desirable for those who have not yet learnt full control - to take MBTI from them would be cruel.

But for those who have learnt control, it is possible and desirable to transcend MBTI.

And it becomes easy to transcend MBTI simply by looking at its history.

Katharine Cook Briggs and her daughter Isabel Briggs Meyers created the MBTI to facilitate the movement of women into the industrial workforce in order to wage war, in fact World War II.

And interestingly they based the MBTI entirely on the book, "Psychological Types", by Carl Gustave Jung.

Carl Jung was an enthusiastic supporter of the NAZI Party.

And when the President of the Psychoanalytic Association resigned as a matter of conscience at the reification of Jews, Slavs and Negros, Carl Jung volunteered to be the President of the Association to help the Nazis carry out their program of reification.

And Carl Jung helped them by writing the book, "Personality Types", to complement the Somatic Types of the Nazis. And the Somatic Types of the Nazis were Jews, Slavs, Negros, Asians and Aryans.

And it is from this book that Mrs Briggs and her daughter copied to make the MBTI.

The purpose of Somatic Types was to reify livling people as was the purpose of Carl Jungs, "Personality Types".

And to reify means to objectify - to turn living people into objects - because killing a living person is difficult but liquidating and object is much easier.

And so those who have failed to learn control, who have failed to gain their independence, rely on MBTI as a psychological crutch.

MBTI reifies them and prevents them from realising themselves as free, living people.

So for those unable or unwilling to gain their independence, MBTI acts as an authoritarian substitute.

And the only price you pay for MBTI is your moral courage and of course your dignity.

Victor.

The fifth function is was Jung called the 'transcendent function'. Our 'type' is really just the conscious part of ourselves. Our type is more like our ego because it's how we identify ourselves and how others see us in the world. Jung thought of the transcendent part of ourselves as our true self. It unifies the opposites within us and symbolizes who we are a a whole. Introverts usually become extroverted during midlife and likewise, our types do not really stay the same and we know this because of 'Individuation'. Life is more a process of becoming we we truly are meant to be in God's eyes. Most of what we see in this world is not the true spiritual reality. The majority of individuals don't really know who they are at the core. Our true personality type is actually hidden, we are pulling back the layers to ourselves and rediscovering who we are as time progresses. Our opposing function describes more of who we are in the face of eternity.