• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Creative Thinking

Mole

Permabanned
Thank you for your welcome.

Most of all I like to think but I find I can't think without dissenting. This is most natural as the founder of Western Philosophy, Socrates, was a noble dissenter.

And the purpose of Western thought is to transcend itself and dissent is the path to transcendence.

But we must learn control before we can nobly dissent. It takes about 22 years to reach the peak of our control but then if we are to continue growing as a person, we need to do the unthinkable and learn to let go of control at will.

Unfortunately conformists cannot tell the difference between chaos and creativity. And so with the best intentions in the world, conformists and authoritarians have an allergic reaction to creativity.

Socrates found this two and a half thousand years ago - and we find it today.

So creative thinking today requires above all else - moral courage.

Thanks for your welcome.

Victor.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Welcome?

1) Of course you have to dissent, but don't you also assent? Unless you are capable of making up completely new ideas- and if you were, then dissent wouldn't really be necessary, would it? (Dissenting, as I understand it, seeks to rein in and improve upon ideas- seeing as no one person can create the wealth of knowledge we are privy to today.)

2) What are we controlling?

Mole

Permabanned
Welcome?

1) Of course you have to dissent, but don't you also assent? Unless you are capable of making up completely new ideas- and if you were, then dissent wouldn't really be necessary, would it? (Dissenting, as I understand it, seeks to rein in and improve upon ideas- seeing as no one person can create the wealth of knowledge we are privy to today.)

2) What are we controlling?

Thanks?

1) I would say the purpose of dissent is to clear the ground - to empty the mind to make room for new ideas.

2) We start by learning to control our splincter. Then with the help of our parents we learn to modulate our emotions. Then we learn to speak our own language. Then we learn to read and write our language. Then we learn to make love.

By the age of about 22 our brain is fully grown and we have reached the height of our control.

And the natural tendency at this point is to extend our control of others. This is commonly achieved with children but can be achieved with child substitutes in schools and Universities and Corporations and Seminaries and Football Clubs.

But the elegant thing to do is to transcend control.

This is somewhat counter-intuitive and as we have just spent 22 years gaining control and it seems mad to give it up.

But the price you pay for hanging onto control past the point of ripeness is creativity, empathy and presence.

Victor.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Was this an introduction? I suppose it must have been...

I label you as INTJ.

Creative thinking is about understanding the unconscious pre-existing constraints we've placed on a given problem and then of working around them.

It's about balance is it not? We need some control to be productive... yet too much is destructive. So the process of creative thinking is simple a defined period where we put aside control in order to explore something new.

And in saying that... to describe it as "creative thinking" is to limit creativity. And from that, I say you're an INTJ.

Oh and a final note... welcome!

Mole

Permabanned
Thanks for the Welcome

Was this an introduction? I suppose it must have been...

I label you as INTJ.

Creative thinking is about understanding the unconscious pre-existing constraints we've placed on a given problem and then of working around them.

It's about balance is it not? We need some control to be productive... yet too much is destructive. So the process of creative thinking is simple a defined period where we put aside control in order to explore something new.

And in saying that... to describe it as "creative thinking" is to limit creativity. And from that, I say you're an INTJ.

Oh and a final note... welcome!

Precisely.

And thanks for the welcome.

Victor.