• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Three ways of knowing

Mole

Permabanned
The British say, "I know it like the back of my hand",

While the Germans say, "I know it like the inside of my pocket"

And the Americans say, "I know it inside out".

How are we knowing?

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
I can't speak for "we".

But three ways of knowing are as follows;

Intellectuality, emotionally and spiritually

Mole

Permabanned
Not knowing

How do you NOT know, Victor? How do you not know?

Well, literacy privileges my eye, and so my ear, my taste, my touch, my balance and my viscera are underprivileged.

I was compelled by law to go to a special institution with specially trained teachers for twelve years to learn to read and write. And in learning to read and write I learnt to know by eye and not to know by ear, taste, touch, balance and viscera.

Mole

Permabanned
Knowing through the senses

The Russians say, "I know it like the palm of my hand"

And the French say, "I know it in depth".

So the Russians are tactile and the French are aural.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think the French and the Russians are both pretty tactile compared to predominantly English-speaking cultures.

Mole

Permabanned
I think the French and the Russians are both pretty tactile compared to predominantly English-speaking cultures.

The Brtish are visual, the Americans favour the proprioceptive sense, that is, the sense of balance and dance, and as you say, the Russians are tactile.

Mole

Permabanned
Tactile knowing.

Last night I was sitting in my armchair and I became aware of warmth in my skin. Ah ha, I thought, the tactile sense, the sense of touch.

So I thought why not take my tactile sense for a walk up to Manuka. So as I left the house I allowed myself to perceive everything through my sense of touch.

And everywhere I looked I found things touching. In particular I found the motor cars touching the air. And the air touching the motor cars. Indeed the touch of the air on the cars had formed their very shape, for they were streamlined to the touch of air at 80 kilometres an hour.

And then I thought of the jet fighter touching the air at 800 kilometres an hour. And a shark touching the water as streamlined as a car or a jet. In fact the touch of water and air create the same streamlined shapes.

And indeed it is shape that we touch. So as I moved up to Manuka, I touched the shape of the trees, the shape of the lights, shape of even the petrol station. There were shapes everywhere, extraordinary shapes, beautiful shapes, half hidden shapes, with the sense of touch revealing their magic.

Mole

Permabanned
Touching and looking.

We say: I know it like my vest pocket.

Hey, pretty close, eh?

And I interpret it as the interface of touch. So perhaps for Germans touch is an interface.

While I say, I know it like the back of my hand. And I know the back of my hand by looking. So I interpret it as knowing by sight.

So while you touch the interface, I look at the surface.

Mole

Permabanned
Inside out

Great. I'm British, French, and American. :wink:

But not German.

I think, Jaguar, it is about time you discovered your inner German. Take your cue from Nicodemus or Red Herring. They are both German on the outside. So you can be German on the inside.

You can be on the inside looking out, and they can be on the outside looking in.

And then you can know it inside out.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm American but I grew up saying I knew things like the back of my hand.

I'm not sure I've ever said I know anything inside out.

Mole

Permabanned
I'm American but I grew up saying I knew things like the back of my hand.

I'm not sure I've ever said I know anything inside out.

Of course, dearest Marmie, you are the exception that proves the rule.

And look, Marmie, you are exceptional in every way. And why should we be surprised as American Exceptionalism shows itself every day.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
^ Win :laugh:

Oh, and the answer is that when we know things it is through knowing them inside and out. The back of hands and insides of pockets can be very unfamiliar things.