User Tag List

View Poll Results: Would you worship a vain creator?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 37.50%
  • No

15 62.50%
123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Question Would You Worship A Vain Creator?

Many different religions have the same mantra that we were created in the image of an unknown creator.
    Usually, that same unknown creator requires us to worship it.
    Would that not make said creator vain?
    Jedi Code (revised by Moi)

With emotion one must search for peace.
    With the understanding of ignorance one must search for knowledge.
    In passion one must seek serenity.
    In chaos, one must search for harmony.
    In death one may become one with The Force.

Quote Originally Posted by JediVulcanisim View Post
    Many different religions have the same mantra that we were created in the image of an unknown creator.
    Usually, that same unknown creator requires us to worship it.
    Would that not make said creator vain?
    Arguably, but I'm burnt out brother. I got nothin', just nothin' right now.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    INTP

If a creater required me to worship it, and this was known fact, I would probably pretend to worship it while seeking to overthrow it. If I knew that the creater knew my thoughts, then I wouldn't waste time with the pretence. If the question is purely theoretical concerning a hypothesized creater, then no again. And no, I'm not particularly interested in LaVey's philosophy, though I recognize the parallels.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

That's actually an argument I bring up quite frequently when discussing with christians, especially if they come up with something like "you will suffer in hell for eternity" or something like that.
    They say I only think in form of crunching numbers.....
    -Fall Out Boy

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Of course I would worship it if it made it clear that was the way forward.

It would be infinitely more powerful, infinitely more good, and infinitely more knowledgeable than me. To call it vain for demanding worship is to think of it as a human on a throne, who is in fact similar to me but with superpowers, rather than something incomprehensibly beyond myself in every possible way, which is what these creators are supposed to be.

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

Are you sure your using the right word? "Vain"

1. excessively proud of or concerned about one's own appearance, qualities, achievements, etc.; conceited: a vain dandy.
    2. proceeding from or showing personal vanity: vain remarks.
    3. ineffectual or unsuccessful; futile: a vain effort.
    4. without real significance, value, or importance; baseless or worthless: vain pageantry; vain display.
    5. Archaic . senseless or foolish.
    —Idiom
    6. in vain,
    a. without effect or avail; to no purpose: to apologize in vain.
    b. in an improper or irreverent manner:

If one see's God as say, pure energy or light.. full consciousness, etc. Then I think saying "would you worship a god that wants you to be his image" would translate to "would you worship a god that wants you to achieve absolute awareness, consciousness, intelligence," etc. So yes, i could worship a God like this.

If your asking If I could worship a God in a white tunic and sandals, then no. =)
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

A creator, if one exists, would be so omnipotent they would not want to be worshipped let alone require it of us.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post
    Of course I would worship it if it made it clear that was the way forward.

It would be infinitely more powerful, infinitely more good, and infinitely more knowledgeable than me. To call it vain for demanding worship is to think of it as a human on a throne, who is in fact similar to me but with superpowers, rather than something incomprehensibly beyond myself in every possible way, which is what these creators are supposed to be.
    I neither see how a god who tries to force you to worship him can be "infinitely more good" nor why a actually good god couldn't teach you if you don't worship him.
    They say I only think in form of crunching numbers.....
    -Fall Out Boy

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Mephistopheles View Post
    I neither see how a god who tries to force you to worship him can be "infinitely more good" nor why a actually good god couldn't teach you if you don't worship him.
    Well the hypothetical premise of the thread is that the creator exists. So if we are going by the typical western or even eastern monotheistic deities, it is infinitely more good than any human. So it really doesn't matter what you can or cannot see, it's a fact regardless and you would just be thinking beyond your station. It being incomprehensibly beyond humanity renders trying to understand its motives a futile endeavour, beyond knowing it is infinitely good in its morality and knows everything there is to know, meaning whatever it asks is whatever should be done for the greatest good.

Plus, few gods theorised force anyone to worship them, if they did that then the fact we aren't worshipping them is proof they don't exist. It's more like they request worship, or it's an inevitable response for a person who has glimpsed at such a being's nature.

tl;dr Demanding worship is only a bad thing if you're a human or something else as unworthy of such attention. We're talking about a god here.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Unknown creator? No. But God is not unknowable.
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Johari Window|Nohari Window