• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Common Ground?

Mole

Permabanned
The printed word creates a uniform field, while the electronic word creates a unique field around each object. In other words each object creates its own space.

For instance look at the electronic words on the Forums and read the posts. It is obvious each post is self standing - it creates its own space.

Of course being raised with the printed word, we are constantly looking for the uniform field. In other words we are constantly looking for 'common ground'.

But in the electronic world there is no common ground, rather each of us creates our own space.

So if looking for common ground is driving forward looking in the rear vision mirror, what do we see if we look through the windshield?

We see independent fields, independent spaces, dancing with one another.

So instead of looking for common ground all we need to do is to learn to dance with and to one another.

Mole

Permabanned
The Graveyard of Conformity

With you Victor, there is no such thing.

Absolutely, I create my own space and I am looking for dancing partners.

However most come here to conform to others not to dance with them.

I can understand that the life task of adolescents is to conform to others. but the joke is that they all think they are individuals, but they are 'individuals' without their own voice, or ideas or even able to create their own space. Their parents create a space for them at home. They are emotionally and financially dependent on their parents and they retail ideas as though they are original.

Common ground here is simply the graveyard of conformity.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Common ground is necessary for communication. There needs to be a balance of the known and unknown. It is hard to dance with someone who does not know the steps. And some of us dance a very unfamiliar tango, where a partner is tricky to find unless you teach them the steps.

Mole

Permabanned
Why do you invite to a dance without paving the dance floor?

A dance floor is continuous, it is one field. But we are now moving into a world of discontinuous fields. So there is no dance floor any more. The floor has disappeared.

So we are left with each of us creating our own space.

So we need to know how to relate in discontinuous space with another.

For instance, you live in a space that is discontinuous from mine in time and location, yet here we are relating quite well.

Electricity moving at the speed of light enables us to relate from two completely discontinuous spaces.

The only problem is that our heads haven't caught up with with we are actually doing.

And when our heads catch up, we will be able to do it better, or as I say, dance to the beat of the electron.

Mole

Permabanned
Common ground is necessary for communication. There needs to be a balance of the known and unknown. It is hard to dance with someone who does not know the steps. And some of us dance a very unfamiliar tango, where a partner is tricky to find unless you teach them the steps.

Common ground is necessary in a print culture, but in an electronic culture everything happens all at once. For instance, while I am eating my breakfast I am hearing the screams of an Libyan women raped and beaten by government forces.

I create my own space eating breakfast and the Libyan woman creates her own space with her screams. Our spaces are discontinuous in time and location and most important in emotion, but these discontinous spaces are connected by electrons moving at the speed of light.

There is no way and no time for the Libyan woman and myself to establish common ground, because there is none, yet I hear her screams and the crunch of my cornflakes, all at the speed of light, that is, instantaneously.

So with instantaneous communication there is no need for common ground.

Look, we are communicting quite well without any common ground.

Serendipity

the Dark Prophet of Kualu
MBTI Type
RAD
There wasn't a dance floor to begin with. There's barely space unless you prefer to stand on my toes, of which I'm not too unhappy about.

I have a notion of why you set this up but I'm unsure if I am a suitable partner. Frankly, I'm scared.

fear paralyses the feet and the instinct takes over. Run. If you want to dance with me, you have to be more gentle.

Mole

Permabanned
Fear at Twelve Thousand Miles

There wasn't a dance floor to begin with. There's barely space unless you prefer to stand on my toes, of which I'm not too unhappy about.

I have a notion of why you set this up but I'm unsure if I am a suitable partner. Frankly, I'm scared.

fear paralyses the feet and the instinct takes over. Run. If you want to dance with me, you have to be more gentle.

Fear is a good sign. So we could start dancing with each other but on opposite sides of the room. But wait, I have a better idea, why don't we start dancing together on opposite side of planet. And how convenient this would be for you are in Sweden and I am in Australia, on opposite sides of the Earth.

But even better, your day is my night, and your Spring is my Autumn just as your trees loose their leaves in Winter, mine loose their bark in summeer. And just think of all the other differences between us. Hey, we are as safe as houses, we have a whole world between us, and even better, we live in discontinuous worlds only linked by the speed of light. You will never ever be able to step on my toes or spill your drink on me.

But be afraid 'cause we are linked by the speed of light, what you feel, I feel. And what I feel, you feel. You feel afraid and I feel afraid, twelve thousand milles apart. It's a miracle.

Lien

my mother was a dancer, and i would beg and beg her to teach me how to dance.

but every time i asked her to teach me how to dance, she would always say no, and to do it myself. it wasn't because she was lazy, i mean she was lazy, but normally would tell me tomorrow, later, someday, but never an outright "no!"

i think to her, it was like i said i don't know how to love you, you have to teach me how to love you. how could she do that?

Mole

Permabanned
my mother was a dancer, and i would beg and beg her to teach me how to dance.

but every time i asked her to teach me how to dance, she would always say no, and to do it myself. it wasn't because she was lazy, i mean she was lazy, but normally would tell me tomorrow, later, someday, but never an outright "no!"

i think to her, it was like i said i don't know how to love you, you have to teach me how to love you. how could she do that?

So your mother wouldn't teach you how to dance, and your mother wouldn't teach you how to love her.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Existence is our common ground and we cannot escape the resulting conflict. Most of the people I meet I will not love, I will not get to know, I will not agree with, or I will not meet again, but I would probably dance with every one of them if they asked me to.

JediVulcanisim

MBTI Type
INTJ
A dance floor is continuous, it is one field. But we are now moving into a world of discontinuous fields. So there is no dance floor any more. The floor has disappeared.

So we are left with each of us creating our own space.

So we need to know how to relate in discontinuous space with another.

For instance, you live in a space that is discontinuous from mine in time and location, yet here we are relating quite well.

Electricity moving at the speed of light enables us to relate from two completely discontinuous spaces.

The only problem is that our heads haven't caught up with with we are actually doing.

And when our heads catch up, we will be able to do it better, or as I say, dance to the beat of the electron.

Actually, it sounds like you've been raked over the coals with logic more understandable than your own over the past few weeks, and you are choosing to berate the format for which you have chosen to communicate.

Stop speaking in metaphors only you know the absolute meaning of, and explain what you mean to say...

Besides, in this forum of discussion one does not have the ability to run over another person's thoughts without completely disregarding the logic.

A "dance floor", or if I'm understanding your meaning, a format of communication, must first be defined by two agreeing parties. Definition rules this airspace. That is the game played here...

Mole

Permabanned
Definition rules this airspace. That is the game played here...

The name of your game is called argumentation. And it is based on the linear, sequential printed word. It starts with a definition, proceeds with logic and ends with a conclusion. But look right in front of you and you will see not one printed word. What you do see is the electronic word.

Unfortunately your schooling has only taught you the greammar of the printed word, and has entirey neglected the grammar of the electronic word.

So naturally you are all at sea here where every word I write, and every word you write, is an electronic word.

JediVulcanisim

MBTI Type
INTJ
Common ground is necessary in a print culture, but in an electronic culture everything happens all at once. For instance, while I am eating my breakfast I am hearing the screams of an Libyan women raped and beaten by government forces.
= Logical Fallacy (Non-Sequitur)

I create my own space eating breakfast and the Libyan woman creates her own space with her screams. Our spaces are discontinuous in time and location and most important in emotion, but these discontinous spaces are connected by electrons moving at the speed of light.
= Irrelevant

There is no way and no time for the Libyan woman and myself to establish common ground, because there is none, yet I hear her screams and the crunch of my cornflakes, all at the speed of light, that is, instantaneously.
Actually, you hear each stimulus at the speed of sound, and interpret by experience at the speed of light. So... Not instantaneous.

So with instantaneous communication there is no need for common ground.

Look, we are communicting quite well without any common ground.

Excuse me, but the common ground we communicate with is with a base knowledge of the english language. Therefore, your argument is completely non-sequitur, because of lack of definition with what you are attempting to communicate.