User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 38

Thread: Common Ground?

  1. #11
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LunaLuminosity View Post
    Common ground is necessary for communication. There needs to be a balance of the known and unknown. It is hard to dance with someone who does not know the steps. And some of us dance a very unfamiliar tango, where a partner is tricky to find unless you teach them the steps.
    Common ground is necessary in a print culture, but in an electronic culture everything happens all at once. For instance, while I am eating my breakfast I am hearing the screams of an Libyan women raped and beaten by government forces.

    I create my own space eating breakfast and the Libyan woman creates her own space with her screams. Our spaces are discontinuous in time and location and most important in emotion, but these discontinous spaces are connected by electrons moving at the speed of light.

    There is no way and no time for the Libyan woman and myself to establish common ground, because there is none, yet I hear her screams and the crunch of my cornflakes, all at the speed of light, that is, instantaneously.

    So with instantaneous communication there is no need for common ground.

    Look, we are communicting quite well without any common ground.

  2. #12
    the Dark Prophet of Kualu
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    RAD
    Posts
    860

    Default

    There wasn't a dance floor to begin with. There's barely space unless you prefer to stand on my toes, of which I'm not too unhappy about.

    I have a notion of why you set this up but I'm unsure if I am a suitable partner. Frankly, I'm scared.

    fear paralyses the feet and the instinct takes over. Run. If you want to dance with me, you have to be more gentle.

  3. #13
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,536

    Smile Fear at Twelve Thousand Miles

    Quote Originally Posted by Gtzk View Post
    There wasn't a dance floor to begin with. There's barely space unless you prefer to stand on my toes, of which I'm not too unhappy about.

    I have a notion of why you set this up but I'm unsure if I am a suitable partner. Frankly, I'm scared.

    fear paralyses the feet and the instinct takes over. Run. If you want to dance with me, you have to be more gentle.
    Fear is a good sign. So we could start dancing with each other but on opposite sides of the room. But wait, I have a better idea, why don't we start dancing together on opposite side of planet. And how convenient this would be for you are in Sweden and I am in Australia, on opposite sides of the Earth.

    But even better, your day is my night, and your Spring is my Autumn just as your trees loose their leaves in Winter, mine loose their bark in summeer. And just think of all the other differences between us. Hey, we are as safe as houses, we have a whole world between us, and even better, we live in discontinuous worlds only linked by the speed of light. You will never ever be able to step on my toes or spill your drink on me.

    But be afraid 'cause we are linked by the speed of light, what you feel, I feel. And what I feel, you feel. You feel afraid and I feel afraid, twelve thousand milles apart. It's a miracle.

  4. #14

    Default

    my mother was a dancer, and i would beg and beg her to teach me how to dance.

    but every time i asked her to teach me how to dance, she would always say no, and to do it myself. it wasn't because she was lazy, i mean she was lazy, but normally would tell me tomorrow, later, someday, but never an outright "no!"

    i think to her, it was like i said i don't know how to love you, you have to teach me how to love you. how could she do that?

  5. #15
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lien View Post
    my mother was a dancer, and i would beg and beg her to teach me how to dance.

    but every time i asked her to teach me how to dance, she would always say no, and to do it myself. it wasn't because she was lazy, i mean she was lazy, but normally would tell me tomorrow, later, someday, but never an outright "no!"

    i think to her, it was like i said i don't know how to love you, you have to teach me how to love you. how could she do that?
    So your mother wouldn't teach you how to dance, and your mother wouldn't teach you how to love her.

  6. #16

    Default

    Existence is our common ground and we cannot escape the resulting conflict. Most of the people I meet I will not love, I will not get to know, I will not agree with, or I will not meet again, but I would probably dance with every one of them if they asked me to.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

  7. #17
    Member JediVulcanisim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    With you Victor, there is no such thing.
    LIKE!!!
    Jedi Code (revised by Moi)

    With emotion one must search for peace.
    With the understanding of ignorance one must search for knowledge.
    In passion one must seek serenity.
    In chaos, one must search for harmony.
    In death one may become one with The Force.

  8. #18
    Member JediVulcanisim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    A dance floor is continuous, it is one field. But we are now moving into a world of discontinuous fields. So there is no dance floor any more. The floor has disappeared.

    So we are left with each of us creating our own space.

    So we need to know how to relate in discontinuous space with another.

    For instance, you live in a space that is discontinuous from mine in time and location, yet here we are relating quite well.

    Electricity moving at the speed of light enables us to relate from two completely discontinuous spaces.

    The only problem is that our heads haven't caught up with with we are actually doing.

    And when our heads catch up, we will be able to do it better, or as I say, dance to the beat of the electron.
    Actually, it sounds like you've been raked over the coals with logic more understandable than your own over the past few weeks, and you are choosing to berate the format for which you have chosen to communicate.

    Stop speaking in metaphors only you know the absolute meaning of, and explain what you mean to say...

    Besides, in this forum of discussion one does not have the ability to run over another person's thoughts without completely disregarding the logic.

    A "dance floor", or if I'm understanding your meaning, a format of communication, must first be defined by two agreeing parties. Definition rules this airspace. That is the game played here...
    Jedi Code (revised by Moi)

    With emotion one must search for peace.
    With the understanding of ignorance one must search for knowledge.
    In passion one must seek serenity.
    In chaos, one must search for harmony.
    In death one may become one with The Force.

  9. #19
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JediVulcanisim View Post
    Definition rules this airspace. That is the game played here...
    The name of your game is called argumentation. And it is based on the linear, sequential printed word. It starts with a definition, proceeds with logic and ends with a conclusion. But look right in front of you and you will see not one printed word. What you do see is the electronic word.

    Unfortunately your schooling has only taught you the greammar of the printed word, and has entirey neglected the grammar of the electronic word.

    So naturally you are all at sea here where every word I write, and every word you write, is an electronic word.

  10. #20
    Member JediVulcanisim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Common ground is necessary in a print culture, but in an electronic culture everything happens all at once. For instance, while I am eating my breakfast I am hearing the screams of an Libyan women raped and beaten by government forces.
    = Logical Fallacy (Non-Sequitur)

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I create my own space eating breakfast and the Libyan woman creates her own space with her screams. Our spaces are discontinuous in time and location and most important in emotion, but these discontinous spaces are connected by electrons moving at the speed of light.
    = Irrelevant

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    There is no way and no time for the Libyan woman and myself to establish common ground, because there is none, yet I hear her screams and the crunch of my cornflakes, all at the speed of light, that is, instantaneously.
    Actually, you hear each stimulus at the speed of sound, and interpret by experience at the speed of light. So... Not instantaneous.

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    So with instantaneous communication there is no need for common ground.

    Look, we are communicting quite well without any common ground.
    Excuse me, but the common ground we communicate with is with a base knowledge of the english language. Therefore, your argument is completely non-sequitur, because of lack of definition with what you are attempting to communicate.
    Jedi Code (revised by Moi)

    With emotion one must search for peace.
    With the understanding of ignorance one must search for knowledge.
    In passion one must seek serenity.
    In chaos, one must search for harmony.
    In death one may become one with The Force.

Similar Threads

  1. [Enne] Enneagram Pairs Common Ground
    By Hard in forum Enneagram
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-13-2016, 10:21 PM
  2. [NF] Commonalities/differences between ENFP and ENFJ
    By proteanmix in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 09-23-2015, 02:35 PM
  3. Common sense - what is it and who has it?
    By JivinJeffJones in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 85
    Last Post: 06-02-2009, 12:21 AM
  4. [INFP] Common for other INFPs?
    By sleep in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 12-05-2008, 10:48 PM
  5. Commonly abused logical Fallacies..
    By SolitaryWalker in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-27-2007, 05:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO