User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: (A)theism and Art

.~ *aĉa virino* ~. Array Totenkindly's Avatar
    549 sx/sp
    LII Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    There is a difference between saying intrinsic beauty is dependent on the existence of God, which is what I said, and saying that experience of beauty is dependent on belief in God, which I did not say.
    Fine. Let's go back to your original comment.

I don't care what colorful and emotional language you use the bottom line is that in a materialist world beauty is perception based. You perceive something to be beautiful because of a random colliding of chemicals in your brain. Within a Christian worldview beauty is an intrinsic quality possessed by both God and created things. When we view something as beautiful we are recognizing it's intrinsic value not merely experiencing a chemically stimulated emotional response.
    What on earth is "intrinsic beauty"?
    Is there any objective basis for your type of "intrinsic beauty" that makes it more valid than another perspective?
    And how is your "intrinsic beauty" differ from atheists/agnostics who also would claim that life is intrinsically beauty but just define it differently?

I don't know if I continue in this discussion if I'm going to have to continue to defend myself on these sorts of levels. It's exhausting.
    It certainly is.

(And, actually, with this, I think I'm done... because it's clear you don't like challenges to your assumptions, and also it has become rather than fleshpile and I do feel bad about that part, even if you sort of got yourself into it...)

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    You're missing my point and you are completely misinterpreting what I'm writing. None of what you write above is true about my position. I don't know why I expected more from you.
    Because typically you've thought I'm reasonable, but right now you're apparently not in the mood to be challenged. (I mean, really, though -- if you're going to make comments the way you did in this thread, what do you expect? Or make up words like "intrinsic beauty" and use them outside the unquestioning church system? You're going to have people challenge you.)

@Iwakar: What would you like separated out?
    (One reason it hasn't been separated is because it's been confusing to even know what the core thread is. It's not an easy split.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Because typically you've thought I'm reasonable, but right now you're apparently not in the mood to be challenged.
    Anyone who has consistently read my posts know that I have no problems being challenged. I'm just tired of explaining simple things to people that are so stuck in there own belief system that they can't conceive of what the world would be like outside of it and consequently are very ungenerous in there appraisal of other belief systems.

Yes, you read that last line correctly.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it