User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 52

  1. #21
    insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    I'm shocked that an INFJ would say
    The passionate responses my posts have invoked in this thread have been surpising.
    after saying things like
    Quote Originally Posted by Intricate Mystic View Post
    The world would be a terrible place if everyone was an atheist. The contemporary art world (both art departments at universities and art galleries) have been taken over by atheists resulting in work being produced that celebrates ugliness, hopelessness, denies our humanity, and denies the mystery that is present in the universe. ... It would be a bleak, hopeless world full of despair and longing for that "something" that people would know is missing in their lives.
    My Fe is not particularly strong, but the "emotional undertones" in your post are not exactly subtle.

    I don't think I said hostility to religious symbols=celebrating hopelessness
    Well, after the above tirade on atheistic art, when asked how exactly atheists "celebrate despair" and so on you said:

    Quote Originally Posted by Intricate Mystic View Post
    Those works of art are sometimes symbolic of a particular belief or cause. What I object to is when they produce works that are openly hostile to Christianity. Why attack an image of the Virgin of Guadalupe, for example? It's an image revered by so many people, and prayer to the Virgin has resulted in healings and great comfort to many Catholics. Why attack that? I also object to the atheist art faculty, gallery owners, and artists who are openly hostile to expressions of faith by artists and art students. What kind of artistic freedom is that? They have taken control of the contemporary art scene and do not want to allow artists with any kind of religious beliefs a place there. They are just as prejudiced and narrow-minded as they accuse theists of being.
    Assuming you're actually answering the question (I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt), that would mean that you think either
    1) "hostility" to religious symbols (as defined by you) = celebrating despair and so on, and/or
    2) dislike/unwillingness to purchase/enjoy/display "religious art" (as defined by you) = celebrating despair and so on

    I guess number 2 is correct, then?

    I both object (on a personal level) to art that offends me, and seek freedom for artistic expression (as a goal for the art world, in general). However, the art world as it exists now does not promote complete artistic freedom. It only encourages artistic freedom if the artists' work goes along with atheist dogma.
    Question: what is "atheist dogma"? How does all art created by atheists follow this dogma? Why doesn't any theistic art follow this dogma?

    It is hostile to artists who wish to express their religious beliefs through their art. People who produce religious art are in the minority, are attacked, and pushed out of the mainstream art world simply because it has been taken over by atheists who can't stand to see religious art.
    Now we're jumping from "art created by theists" to specifically "religious art"? What does that mean? Does it have to have blatant Christian imagery, crosses and so on? If so, I can easily see why that'd be unpopular.....it's hard to make it seem original/interesting/thought-provoking, for starters, and a lot of people will be either offended or bored by it (wait a second, see any similarities to that ungodly abstract art there? I do!).

    I agree with artistic freedom too...but studio owners etc have a right to decide what they are comfortable displaying in their galleries, whether it's based on personal preference or what they believe will "sell"/be appreciated by viewers.

    Also, to be absolutely clear, I do NOT object to other people making non-religious art if they so choose, and certainly there is beautiful work around that isn't Christian art.
    That's uh, quite the backtracking from your original stance:

    The contemporary art world (both art departments at universities and art galleries) have been taken over by atheists resulting in work being produced that celebrates ugliness, hopelessness, denies our humanity, and denies the mystery that is present in the universe.
    It's a vast improvement though, I guess.

    Yes, exactly. It makes me so sad when people who are artistically gifted just bring ugliness into the world, when they could be using their talent to create work that is noble and inspiring, instead.
    Either you're talking about abstract vs. realism and therefore it's completely unrelated to the discussion here, or you're comparing abstract art to religious art which is not really a fair comparison given the many other genres of "nonreligious" art. Especially since theists can and do create abstract art, and atheists can and do create non-abstract art....I doubt there's even a trend , honestly.
    -end of thread-

  2. #22
    ..... Intricate Mystic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    599

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I'm shocked that an INFJ would say after saying things like

    My Fe is not particularly strong, but the "emotional undertones" in your post are not exactly subtle.
    Yeah, I guess I went on a bit of a rant.


    Well, after the above tirade on atheistic art, when asked how exactly atheists "celebrate despair" and so on you

    Assuming you're actually answering the question (I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt), that would mean that you think either
    1) "hostility" to religious symbols (as defined by you) = celebrating despair and so on, and/or
    2) dislike/unwillingness to purchase/enjoy/display "religious art" (as defined by you) = celebrating despair and so on

    I guess number 2 is correct, then?
    Well, using the word "celebrate" was an exaggeration on my part. I actually started looking for artworks to illustrate my point, though. I thought of my atheist art professor's work, but just couldn't bring myself to post a link to it because while the darkness of his work makes me sad, and the fact that he has the knowledge and talent needed to produce much more detailed, technically impressive work but chooses not to, he is a nice guy and was a wonderful teacher. At the end of the day, I just don't have the heart to criticize my fellow artists on a personal level. However, since I've never met this guy, I will give his work as an example of what I'm talking about:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artist%27s_shit
    Consider that work versus this:
    http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth...magnificat.jpg

    Question: what is "atheist dogma"? How does all art created by atheists follow this dogma? Why doesn't any theistic art follow this dogma?
    It's the world-view of atheists. The work artists create tends to show their belief-system on some level. Therefore, the art an atheist or theist produces will probably reflect their beliefs and/or philosophies to a certain degree.

  3. #23
    garbage
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Intricate Mystic View Post
    However, since I've never met this guy, I will give his work as an example of what I'm talking about:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artist%27s_shit
    What are the religious views of this artist?

  4. #24
    Senior Member Beargryllz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    2,739

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    What are the religious views of this artist?
    Irrelevant, I thought I worked really hard to discredit the need to connect religious tendencies with artistic taste and creativity. Why are you doing this to me?

  5. #25
    garbage
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    Irrelevant, I thought I worked really hard to discredit the need to connect religious tendencies with artistic taste and creativity. Why are you doing this to me?
    I do this to you because I love you.

    Because I'm actually making the same counterpoint you are, because the same point keeps being brought up.

    Even if this dude is an atheist, he was more inspired by materialism and consumerism than by his lack of religion. A Christian could have produced the same type of work, and I would have been none the wiser as to what his religious stance was.

    (All I can find about his religious affiliations is that he went to school at the Society of Jesus, which may or may not mean anything. )

  6. #26
    Undisciplined Starry's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5,619

    Default

    I am not sure how the conversation turned to art in such a literal sense…as in… ‘why some artists do not use their God given talent to invoke feelings of inspiration in others’ and ‘what constitutes good art vs bad art’ etc. because I do not feel this was Intricate Mystic’s original intention.

    I actually feel Intricate Mystic’s original message was quite clear and very much on topic. She was using her own personal experience in the art world as a microcosm in order to deduce what the world might be like if there were only Atheists…and from that she concluded:

    Quote Originally Posted by Intricate Mystic View Post
    The world would be a terrible place if everyone was an atheist... I can only assume that a world devoid of adherents of the major religions would be like the current art world except it would be present in every aspect of modern life. It would be a bleak, hopeless world full of despair and longing for that "something" that people would know is missing in their lives.
    The problem with this conclusion is that one need only to turn to another subject…a subject that art most often reflects rather than influences…and examine the ‘historical world’ to see that there may be some trouble/hypocrisy to her claim.

    With regards to Christianity alone…one need only consider such atrocities or ‘sins against humanity’ as the slaughter of the Celts, Pagans, unimaginable numbers of tribal peoples…the Crusades (I believe there were maybe 9 Crusades total) …the Protestant Reformation…the Spanish Inquisition…the Salem Witch trials…the execution of such individuals as Joan of Arc, Bruno, etc. …the persecution of Galileo, Keppler, Copernicus…the Holocaust…the persecution of homosexuals…Rwanda… and I don’t even know how many ‘Holy Wars’…in order to see that it is inaccurate to suggest that the adherents to the major religions are the only ones seeking to spread ‘goodness & light’…while the atheists are busy working against this by insisting on spreading ‘loneliness & despair’.

    Moreover, when one considers these ‘sins against humanity’…it is not as surprising that some forum members may have taken offense to what Intricate Mystic suggested. It may also be why the art sometimes looks so bad. It may also be why some people, in their sorrow, turn their backs on Christianity and the other major religions. And why some people may ultimately decide…’There can’t possibly be a God. There is no God at all’.

    It is important to always remain mindful of the fact that there are terrible, terrible people in all walks of life.

  7. #27
    insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    Well, using the word "celebrate" was an exaggeration on my part. I actually started looking for artworks to illustrate my point, though. I thought of my atheist art professor's work, but just couldn't bring myself to post a link to it because while the darkness of his work makes me sad, and the fact that he has the knowledge and talent needed to produce much more detailed, technically impressive work but chooses not to, he is a nice guy and was a wonderful teacher. At the end of the day, I just don't have the heart to criticize my fellow artists on a personal level. However, since I've never met this guy, I will give his work as an example of what I'm talking about:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artist%27s_shit
    Consider that work versus this:
    http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth...magnificat.jpg
    Um. Ok, let's compare these two. I don't remember my art genres very well so bear with me

    1) symbolic/pop/shock art; not religious, but not anti-religious either; faith of artist unknown
    2) basically realistic; religious; faith of artist unknown

    I get the second one as an example of religious art, it seems pretty standard although not really my thing. I'm not sure where the first one came from - it seems entirely random. It's also a very different genre (about as different as possible) as well as from a different era (contemporary vs...renaissance?), so you can't really compare them unless you say "realism = theist artists; shock art= atheist artists" which is clearly ridiculous.

    I can show you another artwork that fits the category of "not religious, but not anti-religious either; faith of artist unknown":

    (I tried to search for specifically atheist art but that information is hard to find online, for obvious reasons)



    Don't you think it's a little biased to choose a can of poop as a representative sample of a group so diverse?

    It's the world-view of atheists. The work artists create tends to show their belief-system on some level. Therefore, the art an atheist or theist produces will probably reflect their beliefs and/or philosophies to a certain degree.
    So how does a can of poop reflect atheist philosphy (assuming the artist is atheist)?

    This sketch was drawn by someone who I know to be atheist:



    What do you think his/his life philosophy is?
    -end of thread-

  8. #28
    insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    And just for a bit of balance, here's an example of religious art which is not really all that happy and joyful and celebrating wonder and mystery in the world:

    -end of thread-

  9. #29
    LL P. Stewie Beorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,804

    Default

    Beliefs certainly impact art. Perhaps it's easier to compare the great buildings of particular cultures rather than the art of particular individuals.

    One culture founded upon christian beliefs built this:



    A subsequent culture founded upon atheistic beliefs built this:



    One can find admirable things in both, but it is quite clear that the cultures value very different things and the resulting visual difference is striking.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

  10. #30
    insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    You're discounting the effects of time period and non-religion-related cultural differences, which are both huge factors.

    Anyway I don't disagree that beliefs "affect" art in different ways. I disagree that you can lump all atheist or all theist artworks together in a rational way, let alone rank them qualitatively.
    -end of thread-

Similar Threads

  1. Personality and Art Preference test...
    By The Ü™ in forum Online Personality Tests
    Replies: 120
    Last Post: 09-02-2011, 06:06 PM
  2. [JCF] Ti and Art
    By Julius_Van_Der_Beak in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-23-2009, 10:55 PM
  3. The Door Test - and Art vs. Reality
    By kuranes in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-23-2008, 08:22 AM
  4. [MBTItm] NFs and Art
    By KLessard in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-13-2008, 07:03 PM
  5. Jitter, Netochka and Art
    By Mole in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-30-2008, 09:47 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO