• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Diverting the river

Serendipity

the Dark Prophet of Kualu
MBTI Type
RAD
You live in a village but your original source of water have diminished.
There is a river just through a jungle, it is possible to divert it for your own benefit and draw it closer to the village. Closer to the village means less danger for the villagers but it also means that the natural life near the river will die.

What is more right, to divert the river so that you and your own can live safer? or to let it stay where it is and travel to it with the risk of loosing members of the village?

A third question is: Change is inevitable, but ought one to seek it? or let it fall where it may?

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Species have a natural instinct to want to preserve their kind, killing other species if that's what it takes. I don't think humans are an exception to this although we have the reasoning ability to be aware of how might be harming other living things in the process. I'd probably divert the water for my and the villages benefit. Its the self-preservation instinct but I'd try to do it in a way that would be least disturbing of natural life as possible.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Does the beaver give a shit what happens downriver?

No, divert the river!

F

figsfiggyfigs

Can you divert only part of the river? I'm going to assume not.

Divert the river. There will be loss, however, animals that still have the capability to survive and find it, will find it. If they can't, they're not fit enough to survive in the wild anyways. You gotta do what you gotta do.

Change is inevitable. Always try your best to be prepared for it.

If its in your power to change things, change it when you feel it is required; unnecessary change can disturb environmental/psychological harmony. Change to improve, not for the sake of change.

Serendipity

MBTI Type
RAD
Change is inevitable. Always try your best to be prepared for it.

If its in your power to change things, change it when you feel it is required; unnecessary change can disturb environmental/psychological harmony. Change to improve, not for the sake of change.

What is improvement? Should I adhere to human values? What are those? Improve as changing to adapt?

Funny how only you read what was. I've decided. I like you.

Last edited:
F

figsfiggyfigs

What is improvement? Should I adhere to human values? What are those? Improve as changing to adapt?
Its about the individual/tribe. What they feel is "change" worthy. An improvement would be a positive and forward shift from the current position you're in. The magnitude of change can be massive, or small, so long as it's an effort to make you're life more efficient. If you're not adapting to you're environment(or finding a way to make your environment adapt to you), you're going to face a lot of issues, you have to find ways to make it happen, discover your place and how you fit/control it.

How would you define human values? Thats a whole different rabbit hole.

Depending on the human values you feel you "should" adhere to. Obviously, some things are out of your control, in modern societies there are laws, rules, and guidelines. If you feel you do not want to adhere to them, by all means, don't. You have the free will and option not to. Just be sure you're ready to accept the inevitable consequence.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Divert the river to the village, but revert the unused portion of the water back to the river. As in, make a stream coming towards the village, but that same stream will have a passage where it will run back to the river.

If it was a jungle, we would probably depend on the natural wildlife around the river as well as the river itself.

Change needs to be done. If the risk for change seems to have more benefits than consequences, it should be sought. If the change poses more consequences than benefits, a different change should be sought.

Serendipity

MBTI Type
RAD
Well, either way; I'm much done here and thank you for your answers.
If you wish to continue this discussion, by all means go ahead. I'll leave this thread.

Thank you again.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, either way; I'm much done here and thank you for your answers.
If you wish to continue this discussion, by all means go ahead. I'll leave this thread.

Thank you again.

Didn't you start the thread?

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Use your brain and dig a well like normal people do.

Wildlife aside, digging a well is quite a bit easier than diverting a whole river. Just saying.

knight

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
why not just move closer to the river?

ounce of prevention is better then a pound of cure

ThinkingAboutIt

MBTI Type
INTP
You live in a village but your original source of water have diminished.
There is a river just through a jungle, it is possible to divert it for your own benefit and draw it closer to the village. Closer to the village means less danger for the villagers but it also means that the natural life near the river will die.

What is more right, to divert the river so that you and your own can live safer? or to let it stay where it is and travel to it with the risk of loosing members of the village?

A third question is: Change is inevitable, but ought one to seek it? or let it fall where it may?

Divert it.

Why do you think the animals will die? They are capable of finding water.