User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diverting the river

the Dark Prophet of Kualu Array Serendipity's Avatar
    MBTI
    RAD

Default Diverting the river

You live in a village but your original source of water have diminished.
    There is a river just through a jungle, it is possible to divert it for your own benefit and draw it closer to the village. Closer to the village means less danger for the villagers but it also means that the natural life near the river will die.

What is more right, to divert the river so that you and your own can live safer? or to let it stay where it is and travel to it with the risk of loosing members of the village?

A third question is: Change is inevitable, but ought one to seek it? or let it fall where it may?
    Open for interpretation.
    Jo
    Fell for the temptation: Nohari / Johari

Honor Thy Inferior Array Such Irony's Avatar
    MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Species have a natural instinct to want to preserve their kind, killing other species if that's what it takes. I don't think humans are an exception to this although we have the reasoning ability to be aware of how might be harming other living things in the process. I'd probably divert the water for my and the villages benefit. Its the self-preservation instinct but I'd try to do it in a way that would be least disturbing of natural life as possible.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    SEXY

Divert the river, obviously. It's self-preservation!
    (removed)

Permabanned Array
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Does the beaver give a shit what happens downriver?

No, divert the river!

figsfiggyfigs

Can you divert only part of the river? I'm going to assume not.

Divert the river. There will be loss, however, animals that still have the capability to survive and find it, will find it. If they can't, they're not fit enough to survive in the wild anyways. You gotta do what you gotta do.

Change is inevitable. Always try your best to be prepared for it.

If its in your power to change things, change it when you feel it is required; unnecessary change can disturb environmental/psychological harmony. Change to improve, not for the sake of change.

MBTI
    RAD

Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    Change is inevitable. Always try your best to be prepared for it.

If its in your power to change things, change it when you feel it is required; unnecessary change can disturb environmental/psychological harmony. Change to improve, not for the sake of change.
    What is improvement? Should I adhere to human values? What are those? Improve as changing to adapt?

Funny how only you read what was. I've decided. I like you.
    Last edited by Serendipity; 03-28-2011 at 08:38 PM. Reason: darnit. I was never supposed to be shy and blush about it.

figsfiggyfigs

Quote Originally Posted by Gtzk View Post
    What is improvement? Should I adhere to human values? What are those? Improve as changing to adapt?
    Its about the individual/tribe. What they feel is "change" worthy. An improvement would be a positive and forward shift from the current position you're in. The magnitude of change can be massive, or small, so long as it's an effort to make you're life more efficient. If you're not adapting to you're environment(or finding a way to make your environment adapt to you), you're going to face a lot of issues, you have to find ways to make it happen, discover your place and how you fit/control it.

How would you define human values? Thats a whole different rabbit hole.

Depending on the human values you feel you "should" adhere to. Obviously, some things are out of your control, in modern societies there are laws, rules, and guidelines. If you feel you do not want to adhere to them, by all means, don't. You have the free will and option not to. Just be sure you're ready to accept the inevitable consequence.

Freaking Ratchet Array Rail Tracer's Avatar

Divert the river to the village, but revert the unused portion of the water back to the river. As in, make a stream coming towards the village, but that same stream will have a passage where it will run back to the river.

If it was a jungle, we would probably depend on the natural wildlife around the river as well as the river itself.

Change needs to be done. If the risk for change seems to have more benefits than consequences, it should be sought. If the change poses more consequences than benefits, a different change should be sought.

MBTI
    RAD

Well, either way; I'm much done here and thank you for your answers.
    If you wish to continue this discussion, by all means go ahead. I'll leave this thread.

Thank you again.

Permabanned Array
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Gtzk View Post
    Well, either way; I'm much done here and thank you for your answers.
    If you wish to continue this discussion, by all means go ahead. I'll leave this thread.

Thank you again.
    Didn't you start the thread?