• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Atheists:

Do you think the world would be better if everyone were an atheist?

• Yes

Votes: 25 27.5%
  • No

Votes: 52 57.1%
  • Other - please explain

Votes: 14 15.4%

• Total voters

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That's what that is? I just thought it was a lighting effect.

Do I lack the right kind of imagination for modern art or are you supposed to only see it when you know it?

erm

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
A Christ figure submerged in pee is probably the least subtle thing in the world

Dammit, you ruined the sarcasm. The link he used had the name of the painting in it. No reverse image search required, it was obvious.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I voted no. Otherwise there would be no one for atheists to oppose, and having someone to oppose seems to be essential in some people's lives.

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Atheists can find other things to oppose, such as people who believe eating babies is wrong.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Other (please explain)

Anyway. I think the world would be much better if nobody adhered to the Abrahamic religions (Islam, Judaism, Christianity) or any of their twisted offshoots.
The world needs to be spiritual, but those three are so incompatible with nature, natural behavior for humans and they have caused so many horrible things in the world that I think they are worse than anything else.
A little example would be that the Christians took Cernunnos/Pan/Herne etc, a deity found in many tribal societies all over Eurasia in ancient times, and made him their religion's "Bad Guy", naming him "the devil".
The god of nature is the reason the devil has horns. That's just one silly little tidbit, however.
If you look at social development and such... The Celtic World when the romans had not yet killed the crap out of them, killed the men, raped their wives and made them and the kids "roman"...
Well, let's just say that the equality enjoyed by both men and women in that time and place wouldn't see the light of day in Europe until the 1900's.
In ancient europe, women were allowed to own stuff and some even became chieftains of their tribes. Many women were traders, priestesses and held really important jobs.
Not until the Napoleonic Code which was made law in a lot of the countries in the early 1800's were women even allowed to OWN PROPERTY.
It's all Rome's and the Christians' fault, and I will never forget that. Neither should the world.
Being a pagan comes with fewer rules, and that makes people behave like they would naturally.
There is nothing that I dispise more than "God-fearing people" who are essentially greedy, evil sons of bitches but hide under this fake-nicety that all christians have.

Yes, my answer would be that the world can do much better with Christianity, Judaism and Islam.
It took the world nearly 2000 years to recover from Christianity/Islam, and it has tried to stop social development, science and ideological advances during the whole time. At every f*cking turn.
Not until now when the yoke of the Abrahamic religions is starting to break from the strength of humanity are we seeing any real improvements.
The bible is just a really crappy fantasy book, written by several people over the years and made into a compendium by the Vatican (who left most of it out) to create an ideology for crowd control.
I'm not going to comment Judaism and Islam, those are even worse in some ways. More radical, but they have had less impact.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not sure, often i have a pre defined opinion but not on this.
I think i associate atheism too closley with nihilism, probably incorrectly, which makes me think that i'd be being naeive to say it wouldn't work better.
The rejection of religion may fare better since religion has been used as a political tool for many thousands of years (at least).
However, how far atheism goes i'm not too sure. Is it possible for atheists to believe in a power of group consciousness? i don't know.

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I'm not sure, often i have a pre defined opinion but not on this.
I think i associate atheism too closley with nihilism, probably incorrectly, which makes me think that i'd be being naeive to say it wouldn't work better.
The rejection of religion may fare better since religion has been used as a political tool for many thousands of years (at least).
However, how far atheism goes i'm not too sure. Is it possible for atheists to believe in a power of group consciousness? i don't know.

I'm not sure what you mean. Atheists simply reject outlandish claims of the supernatural that are supported by insufficient evidence (ie not justly supported). Maybe you associate atheism with nihilism because you might believe or have heard that life loses its value when it is not known to be supported or created by a god or gods.

Sunshiney

MBTI Type
INFP
I clicked yes but I believe there can be exceptions. For a tiny example I'm going to throw out the Italian stereotype when it comes to their religion. Just think about it. They make it beautiful.

But the reason I clicked yes is because scientists believe we are 300 years behind what we could have been thanks to the seriously religious freaks back in the day. I myself am agnostic, more athiest maybe, but I don't think that everyone should be athiest or something. Sometimes we all need something to believe in, right? I just don't believe we should have to worship something that probably isn't there. This coming from someone who thought a butterfly was comprehending what she was telling it yesterday. OTL.

Just my opinion, I apologize if I offended anyone. :hug:

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
it would be better imo if everyone accepted that no one truly knows...a belief is a belief and not a fact.

Beorn

Permabanned
it would be better imo if everyone accepted that no one truly knows...a belief is a belief and not a fact.

It would be better imo if everyone accepted that everyone does and must act as if there is a God regardless of whether they claim there is a God or not. All known facts are based on unprovable beliefs.

Lark

Do you think it would be better if everyone were an atheist?

(please explain)

No, basically because I'm not convinced of the truth of atheism and wouldnt think it a good thing if everyone professed a belief which wasnt true. Whatever the nominal or supposed benefits of everyone sharing a belief or aspects of that belief were.

Also, as I understand it atheism is just the negation of theism, as such it doesnt have much of a character of its own, it is merely the "other" or "not" of what in fact is a distinct doctrine or idea.

That said even theism by itself does not necessarily imply anything other than there is a God, despite Voltaire's writing on theism as a doctrine which embraced the truths found scattered among all the world religions I dont believe that is necessarily so. Without seeking to water down or severe the historic link I do think it would have been possible to have hospitals without the hospitaleers and the Christian duty to provide hospitality.

Lark

To be honest I'm inclined to believe, in these questions of ultimate meaning, that people can believe what they like so long as they do not seek by force of arms or any other sort of force to compell others to share their beliefs or enact consequences and penalities which are not natural consequences for failing to share those beliefs.

I am not a proselytising or evangelical thinker when it comes to my beliefs, they do make my life easier, they do make me happier, they do make for mutually beneficial circumstances when they are shared by others and reciprocal obligations are honoured as a result but anyone can have a perfectly tolerable existence without them.

As to their ultimate fate if they do not share my thinking and beliefs, I honestly can not tell. The messages of those who profess to believe that people failing to conform to their beliefs will suffer eternal damnation are unconvincing and its not like I couldnt find for every one which feels this way at least a dozen others which feel the same way about them.