User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you think the world would be better if everyone were an atheist?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

25 25.25%
  • No

60 60.61%
  • Other - please explain

14 14.14%
First 3456715 Last

Thread: Atheists:

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
    I think it would be. It wouldn't be an end all solution to hapiness, but it would remove a major source of conflict.
    Yeah. As wild as the speculation is to make a conclusion here, I think everyone following the same cosmological ideology (or, as in this case, getting closer to doing so), that did not demand anything "unworldly" of them, would reduce unproductive conflict by a notable amount. There'd be fewer people following ethical systems derived from something entirely separate to humanity, and so they'd shift towards ethical systems based on more "worldly" things such as humanism or utilitarianism.

I'd think it would be agnostics who make up the majority of these atheists, as I think a lot people are strong atheists purely as a reactionary position to the prevalence of theism, and would be weak atheists, specifically agnostics, otherwise. That might just be wishful thinking on my part though.

Insisting there's nothing outside the visible universe is stupid though, as is saying we know a significant amount about what is in the visible universe. I'd hope it wasn't those types of atheists that dominated, since that type of rigid thinking we limit truth-finding somewhere down the line, just like claiming to know what's outside the visible universe does.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Mephistopheles View Post
    You didn't understand me. Hint: I'm not an atheist.
    You are agnostic and don't like organized religion?

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    I celebrate beauty, humanity, mystery, bravery, happiness, among other things.
    I like that. Do you remain hopeful when life gets difficult?

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Intricate Mystic View Post
    Theists celebrate ugliness, hopelessness, and deny our humanity? You've got to be kidding me.
    Saying that theists celebrate ugliness, hopelessness, etc is as mind-blowingly foolish, ridiculous and flat-out wrong as saying that atheists do. Which was his point.
    -end of thread-

Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post
    Yeah. As wild as the speculation is to make a conclusion here, I think everyone following the same cosmological ideology, that did not demand anything "unworldly" of them, would reduce unproductive conflict by a notable amount. There'd be fewer people following ethical systems derived from something entirely separate to humanity, and so they'd shift towards ethical systems based on more "worldly" things such as humanism or utilitarianism.
    As much as I wanted to say this, I was hesitant to do so because we cannot discount all of the inevitable nihilism that would result from such a massive group-think shift. Hell, we encounter it now routinely, especially on this forum

We might end up with scads of people the world over mentally circle-jerking themselves about the 'point of it all' because they've confused benevolence and productivity as purposeful only within religious adherences rather than outside of 'em. Ya dig?
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Saying that theists celebrate ugliness, hopelessness, etc is as mind-blowingly foolish, ridiculous and flat-out wrong as saying that atheists do. Which was his point.
    The atheists I have met in the art world honestly fit my description pretty well. Maybe it attracts a subset of people that isn't reflective of atheists as a whole, though. To those atheists who do not conform to my stereotyped, pre-conceived notions, I apologize.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    As much as I wanted to say this, I was hesitant to do so because we cannot discount all of the inevitable nihilism that would result from such a massive group-think shift. Hell, we encounter it now routinely, especially on this forum

We might end up with scads of people the world over mentally circle-jerking themselves about the 'point of it all' because they've confused benevolence and productivity as purposeful only within religious adherences rather than outside of 'em. Ya dig?
    Yeah I could see that happening. I think we can agree this is all pretty heavy speculation, so none of us actually know the consequences of all this with much certainty.

I could counter that idea though. Perhaps the prevalence of theism, and what we could call "focus on the supernatural", is the contrast, and thus the cause, creating that mindset in the first place? It might be creating a reliance on the supernatural for "meaning", and making the natural world seem "bleak" by comparison. In which case the universal dominance of atheism might well reduce the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post
    Yeah I could see that happening. I think we can agree this is all pretty heavy speculation, so none of us actually know the consequences of all this with much certainty.

I could counter that idea though. Perhaps the prevalence of theism, and what we could call "focus on the supernatural", is the contrast, and thus the cause, creating that mindset in the first place? It might be creating a reliance on the supernatural for "meaning", and making the natural world seem "bleak" by comparison. In which case the universal dominance of atheism might well reduce the problem.
    Thus illustrating the remarkable necessity and advantage of powerful imagination. The world is only as simple or as complicated as we dream it, no? Intuitives have a leg up here --but not universally and not necessarily.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

The atheists I have met in the art world honestly fit my description pretty well. Maybe it attracts a subset of people that isn't reflective of atheists as a whole, though. To those atheists who do not conform to my stereotyped, pre-conceived notions, I apologize.
    Apology accepted

I was about to say...I'm using religious imagery in my avatar for petes sake! I'd figure you'd appreciate art work like that
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Ok.... I can't really comment since I don't know the people you know. But it's a really melodramatic and negative (and unlikely) picture to paint of millions (possibly billions) of people based purely on your impressions about a few (10? 20?) people you've met.

It's all about accurate sampling. For example every single practising Christian in my life IRL is batshit crazy. But not all the Christians in the world are, or even the majority of them. Perhaps not even a significant minority. It would be unreasonable for me to paint a picture of an all-theistic world based on my own personal experience with religious people.
    -end of thread-

Banned

I don't know what kind of people you have run into and what path of reasoning you follow when you interpreting the world around you. But from my point of view I recognize what you so eloquently put as a celebration of ugliness and hopelessness as something equally vital to the world as beauty and hope. It can be the physical manifestation of a person catharsis.

You need to dismount that high horse of yours and pry open those dull eyelids and realize that you should not be throwing out apologies in a thread as much as apologizing to yourself for being close minded.