User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you think the world would be better if everyone were an atheist?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

25 25.25%
  • No

60 60.61%
  • Other - please explain

14 14.14%
First 2345614 Last

Thread: Atheists:

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Intricate Mystic View Post
    The world would be a terrible place if everyone was an atheist. The contemporary art world (both art departments at universities and art galleries) have been taken over by atheists resulting in work being produced that celebrates ugliness, hopelessness, denies our humanity, and denies the mystery that is present in the universe. Their hostility to formal religion is actually painful to me, because I believe that talented artists should use their gifts to bring beauty and truth into the world, to teach us, inspire us, uplift us, and to express our humanity. I can only assume that a world devoid of adherents of the major religions would be like the current art world except it would be present in every aspect of modern life. It would be a bleak, hopeless world full of despair and longing for that "something" that people would know is missing in their lives. They would try to find the answer to this longing without success.
    The world would be a terrible place if everyone was a theist. The contemporary art world (both art departments at universities and art galleries) have been taken over by theists resulting in work being produced that celebrates ugliness, blind devotion, denies our humanity, and denies the mystery that is present in the universe. Their hostility to atheism is actually painful to me, because I believe that talented artists should use their gifts to bring beauty and truth into the world, to teach us, inspire us, uplift us, and to express our humanity. I can only assume that a world devoid of adherents of atheism would be like the medieval art world except it would be present in every aspect of life. It would be a bleak, hopeless world full of despair and longing for that money that had been taken from them by the church to build bigger cathedrals although they need it to live. They would try to get it back without success.

I believe that my text is as accurate as yours.
    They say I only think in form of crunching numbers.....
    -Fall Out Boy

I voted 'yes'. Victor will deliver my reasoning, put into arabesques.

I have such a hard time envisioning that alternate world that I cannot reach any definitive supposition. I think it'll take a hell of a lot more than 'absence of conflicting religions' to right this cock-eyed human ship... so... maybe? But with this human tendency to spit and swallow ideologies, wouldn't just a series of competing philosophies (i.e. non-deity based value systems) take their place?

I just don't know.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Mephistopheles View Post
    The world would be a terrible place if everyone was a theist. The contemporary art world (both art departments at universities and art galleries) have been taken over by theists resulting in work being produced that celebrates ugliness, hopelessness, denies our humanity, and denies the mystery that is present in the universe. Their hostility to atheism is actually painful to me, because I believe that talented artists should use their gifts to bring beauty and truth into the world, to teach us, inspire us, uplift us, and to express our humanity. I can only assume that a world devoid of adherents of atheism would be like the medieval art world except it would be present in every aspect of life. It would be a bleak, hopeless world full of despair and longing for that money that had been taken from them by the church to build bigger cathedrals although they need it to live. They would try to get it back without success.

I believe that my text is as accurate as yours.
    Theists celebrate ugliness, hopelessness, and deny our humanity? You've got to be kidding me.

MBTI
    INTP

Theists celebrate ugliness, hopelessness, and deny our humanity? You've got to be kidding me.
    Well, what would say if I told you that I was an atheist that celebrated none of these things? Would it surprise you? I think you're making too many assumptions, and I don't understand why.

Banned

This is taking the term asinine to a whole new level, thank you for broadening my horizons.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Within View Post
    This is taking the term asinine to a whole new level, thank you for broadening my horizons.
    Sarcasm is considered to be a poor form of communication.

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    Well, what would say if I told you that I was an atheist that celebrated none of these things? Would it surprise you? I think you're making too many assumptions, and I don't understand why.
    Fair enough. May I ask what you DO celebrate, then?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

You didn't understand me. Hint: I'm not an atheist.
    They say I only think in form of crunching numbers.....
    -Fall Out Boy

MBTI
    INTP

Fair enough. May I ask what you DO celebrate, then?
    I celebrate beauty, humanity, mystery, bravery, happiness, among other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    Just teasing you since you don't normally get involved in or post controversial threads.

Yes, live and let live, which IMO, includes an honest separation of Church and State.
    Yeah usually takes too much effort to say what I want to say in this kind of thread and other people are better at arguing anyway... I still sometimes read it until it gets toooo crazy.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.