User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you think the world would be better if everyone were an atheist?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

25 25.25%
  • No

60 60.61%
  • Other - please explain

14 14.14%
First 1234513 Last

Thread: Atheists:

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    The fact is, it's a very positive force in many people's lives. It brings them comfort and joy, and even if I don't agree with their views, I'm happy they have that.
    Exactly. To say otherwise is to assume that some third party knows what is best for you. This presents a problem, because I'm in no position to be a parent for all 7 billion of you, and I would reject your attempts to patronize me in the same way. A person knows what happiness and purpose is, and what it may be for that individual is not meant to be universal, but instead a wholly personal outlook.

Banned

I don't know if it would be better, but I voted yes because I would prefer it.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post
    Religious population statistics. It's why I said the vague "over one billion", not getting too specific. The higher estimates are over two billion, the lower just over one.

It's a very western thing to associate religion with theism. Fair enough though, most religious people are theistic, but most religions are atheistic (a lot of so called polytheistic religions are actually atheistic when it comes down to it). That's taking atheism to mean without a belief in god.
    Yeah, I remember a thread discussing this, I'd read the term non-theist applied to them to distinguish them from the purely materialistic mindset.

There's statistics for everything.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I'd agree on the fact that ideally it might seem like a good thing for everyone have the same religion, whichever that is, theistis or atheistic. But I wouldn't want to live in that world, kinda seems boring. I like observing, so naturally I like having stuff to observe. If we're all the same, where could I point my shiny baubles? O_O
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Haha... what do you mean who hacked my account?

I'm asking because I've known a couple atheists and they did/do seem to think the world would be a better place without people believing in religion, that it is something that makes people do bad things to each other, and that believing in God is not a rational position (and therefore not valid). Don't know if I really agree with it though. Or at least not all the way.

Most people I know believe in God in some way, although I prefer the live and let live type than the in-your-face type. Don't we all?
    Just teasing you since you don't normally get involved in or post controversial threads.

Yes, live and let live, which IMO, includes an honest separation of Church and State.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

No, as it would ultimately be self-limiting. If everyone universally settled on the same answer, we'd stop asking the question.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

The world would be a terrible place if everyone was an atheist. The contemporary art world (both art departments at universities and art galleries) have been taken over by atheists resulting in work being produced that celebrates ugliness, hopelessness, denies our humanity, and denies the mystery that is present in the universe. Their hostility to formal religion is actually painful to me, because I believe that talented artists should use their gifts to bring beauty and truth into the world, to teach us, inspire us, uplift us, and to express our humanity. I can only assume that a world devoid of adherents of the major religions would be like the current art world except it would be present in every aspect of modern life. It would be a bleak, hopeless world full of despair and longing for that "something" that people would know is missing in their lives. They would try to find the answer to this longing without success.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Intricate Mystic View Post
    The world would be a terrible place if everyone was an atheist. The contemporary art world (both art departments at universities and art galleries) have been taken over by atheists resulting in work being produced that celebrates ugliness, hopelessness, denies our humanity, and denies the mystery that is present in the universe. Their hostility to formal religion is actually painful to me, because I believe that talented artists should use their gifts to bring beauty and truth into the world, to teach us, inspire us, uplift us, and to express our humanity. I can only assume that a world devoid of adherents of the major religions would be like the current art world except it would be present in every aspect of modern life. It would be a bleak, hopeless world full of despair and longing for that "something" that people would know is missing in their lives. They would try to find the answer to this longing without success.
    You're describing a minority of atheists, by the way.

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Intricate Mystic View Post
    The world would be a terrible place if everyone was an atheist. The contemporary art world (both art departments at universities and art galleries) have been taken over by atheists resulting in work being produced that celebrates ugliness, hopelessness, denies our humanity, and denies the mystery that is present in the universe. Their hostility to formal religion is actually painful to me, because I believe that talented artists should use their gifts to bring beauty and truth into the world, to teach us, inspire us, uplift us, and to express our humanity. I can only assume that a world devoid of adherents of the major religions would be like the current art world except it would be present in every aspect of modern life. It would be a bleak, hopeless world full of despair and longing for that "something" that people would know is missing in their lives.They would try to find the answer to this longing without success.
    Wow.
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson

MBTI
    SEXY

I think it would be. It wouldn't be an end all solution to hapiness, but it would remove a major source of conflict.
    (removed)