User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you think the world would be better if everyone were an atheist?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    25 25.25%
  • No

    60 60.61%
  • Other - please explain

    14 14.14%
First 1725262728 Last

Results 261 to 270 of 276

Thread: Atheists:

  1. #261
    ReflecTcelfeR
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    I and my ego are not angered by the fact that we are made up of simple matter. I am not sure about what kind of combination you are talking.
    You're also atheist.

  2. #262
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ReflecTcelfeR View Post
    You're also atheist.
    But I am human too.

  3. #263
    ReflecTcelfeR
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    But I am human too.
    But your ego is not infused with the idea that it should be better than everything else, which is essentially what having a soul means compared to every other living being.

  4. #264
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ReflecTcelfeR View Post
    But your ego is not infused with the idea that it should be better than everything else, which is essentially what having a soul means compared to every other living being.
    That does answer your question, does it not?

  5. #265
    A window to the soul
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tinker683 View Post
    What exactly is "the unseen"? This sounds kind of nebulous.
    I was referring to the spiritual realm [and God] when I mentioned "the unseen."

    Quote Originally Posted by tinker683 View Post
    1) What do you mean by "open" and why are you putting in quote marks?
    By "open," I mean "receptive." My usage of quotation marks is for emphasis.

    Quote Originally Posted by tinker683 View Post
    2) What exactly do you mean by your "heart" finding him? This is ambiguous.
    How does one love, if their heart is closed? When one does love, how does one explain to their head what their heart knows?

    There's so much more to this life beyond the human psyche. I know from experience that where my psyche ends by willfully deferring, God's spirit may begin. That's the best way I know to describe it for you, since a relationship with God is that of the heart and not of the mind. It is a journey of discovery, which neither I nor anybody else can do for you. As I indicated earlier, everybody must do their own exploration. If you remain steadfast in your search to find the truth, I trust you'll eventually find it and you'll have no doubts when you do. Don't give up.

    Quote Originally Posted by tinker683 View Post
    I have read it in it's entirety and the only reason Elfboy's particular brand of theism makes sense to you is because he chooses to share the same base tenet of your own particular brand of theism. I would put serious money that his version of Christianity vastly differs from yours.
    Is that really the only reason? Take a moment to think about it. Otherwise, it's quite presumptuous and brave to place bets before you've looked at your cards. I'm very clear on the fact that things aren't always what they seem to be. Are you?

  6. #266
    Blind Guardian Haven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3 so/sp
    Socionics
    ESFj Ti
    Posts
    1,076

    Default

    I think the world would be better if everyone stopped shoving their religions down each others throats. If everyone needs to stop believing in a god for that to happen (which is what it means to be an atheist) then yes, I think that it would be a better place if everyone, or most people, were atheists. However, I'm not about to start shoving my lack of religion down anyone's throat because that would be contributing to the problem, not solving it. Imagining a world without religion scares a lot of people and it should be atheists duty to put those fears to rest.
    {The Diplomat}
    Slytherpuff
    s|L|OAx
    Meow.

  7. #267
    A window to the soul
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haven View Post
    I think the world would be better if everyone stopped shoving their religions down each others throats. If everyone needs to stop believing in a god for that to happen (which is what it means to be an atheist) then yes, I think that it would be a better place if everyone, or most people, were atheists. However, I'm not about to start shoving my lack of religion down anyone's throat because that would be contributing to the problem, not solving it. Imagining a world without religion scares a lot of people and it should be atheists duty to put those fears to rest.
    I see the fun in this. I know you and I live in the same world where there are a lot of religions, but I haven't noticed anyone force feeding me religion, lolz, but then I'm not easy to force feed. When the Mormons come to my door, I enjoy a friendly debate over iced tea. They stopped coming by. :C

  8. #268
    ReflecTcelfeR
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    I see the fun in this. I know you and I live in the same world where there are a lot of religions, but I haven't noticed anyone force feeding me religion, lolz, but then I'm not easy to force feed. When the Mormons come to my door, I enjoy a friendly debate over iced tea. They stopped coming by. :C
    I think most are stuck in the past on this subject. I mean 400 hundred years may not be much compared to the earth, it is to a human. I think there is a movement beginning even in more devote religions like Baptism going towards openness. In the bible belt I say this and I know here it is still taboo to believe that something like this is actually occurring and I do not mean to say that everything is changing and that everything that is changing is changing for the better, but the fact that something is changing means it can be changed.

    Yes religion is scary and illogical (in some senses of the word), but I think a truer interpretation of what the bible stand for is starting to shine through.

    /rose colored glasses

    I'm supporting you btw... I just wanted you to know .

  9. #269
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ReflecTcelfeR View Post
    I think a truer interpretation of what the bible stand[s] for is starting to shine through.
    A truth behind truth, a convention-independent symbol, an ethereal way of becoming visible: I smell obscuration.

  10. #270
    ReflecTcelfeR
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    A truth behind truth, a convention-independent symbol, an ethereal way of becoming visible: I smell obscuration.
    Perhaps I didn't word that correctly. It should be more like: The more universal qualities of the bible are being taught more and more, and the ignorance that once fueled Christian religions is being washed away by those who show extreme intolerance for such equality.

Similar Threads

  1. Atheists more likely to believe in superstitions
    By Sniffles in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 163
    Last Post: 12-20-2011, 03:39 PM
  2. A question for Atheists AND Agnostics
    By CopyPaste in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 105
    Last Post: 05-28-2009, 04:38 PM
  3. A question for Atheists
    By BlackCat in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 142
    Last Post: 04-27-2009, 06:49 PM
  4. [ENFP] A female ENFP, an atheist, and a part-time misanthrope...
    By SillySapienne in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 01-18-2008, 01:28 AM
  5. The Atheist's Worst Nightmare: The Banana
    By Totenkindly in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 06-14-2007, 02:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO